News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kiev burning.

Started by Insult to Rocks, February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Social media is a cess pool of anything goes. It's tough, if not impossible to filter through the lies and misinformation tossed around in social media. Sure, you might read the truth, but it can just as easily be lies. After all, there are more than a few people who use social media to put a picture of a painting of jesus up only to have a million other people click the 'like' button.  Does that make jesus any more credible because a million people click 'like' ?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Wait, a million people "liked" a picture of Jesus? Brb converting to Christianity.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shol'va

Quote from: "Moriarty"I would tend to disagree. Sorry. Just seems that most social networking sites are from regular citizens and less credible, they all have their own agendas, just like government officials.
I saw the Arab Spring start before my very eyes with live reporting from the ground, including pictures and videos, LONG before it was a glimmer in CNN's eyes. It was truly a remarkable thing to behold. As the violence was erupting, people were posting. Even when their internet was taken away from them, the hacker community came together and set up alternate ways to get online and continue the news reporting. I'm talking about Twitter, not Facebook.
Do not underestimate the power of the people.

Insult to Rocks

Normally I would agree with APA when it comes to mainstream news, but from what I've seen, there really isn't enough news to even really spin anything. The main consensus across the board is confusion and worry, mainly because we don't have enough info to work with. It's either they're blatently lying, or the situation there really is as violent and confusing as it looks.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Insult to Rocks

Well, looks as though things have calmed down for now. Talks are making headway, and reforms are planned for next fall.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Moriarty

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Well, looks as though things have calmed down for now. Talks are making headway, and reforms are planned for next fall.

Calmed down? No. Who expected the protestors would win when it appeared arrangements had been settled. Apparently the Ukrainian President's agreement were only, unknowingly to him, signing his own demise. Wow, what a turn of events.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi- ... 4200.story
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Plu

Well that's certainly a turn of events :o

Here's to hoping it all works out!

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

AllPurposeAtheist

From what I've read Ukraine is trading Russian thugs for European thugs and their economy is an absolute train wreck. It's doubtful this is going to end as a fairy tale European ending, more of an extended oligarchy power struggle.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shiranu

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/2 ... 64695.html

Ethnically Russian region of Ukraine had gunmen storm government buildings and raise Russian flags.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

The men that took the airports look as much like militia as I look like J. Edgar Hoover.

Look at their equipment, far more than the average militia could scrap up in such a time period, and even their posture for shit's sake.

Too disciplined, too alert. No those men are either Russian or former Ukrainian military with Russian tech.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

josephpalazzo

Russia has begun its invasion. We live in dangerous times.

GrinningYMIR

Well Putin just requested the use of troops to "protect" its people in Crimea
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

josephpalazzo

Both sides are calculating the risk factors of the next move. The danger is a miscalculation that could degenerate into an uncontrollable situation from which neither side would fInd itself unable to backdown.

GrinningYMIR

Russia just gave the okay to send troops into the Ukraine, specifically Crimea