News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kiev burning.

Started by Insult to Rocks, February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"IR, Russia has been around for some time and isn't likely to just disolve any time soon.  They have problems,  but so does every nation. Don't be fooled by the media reports of collapse or disarray. They still hold a very strong seat in the UN, still have vast oil and gas reserves and a rather large military infrastructure.
I'm not saying they'll collapse, APA. Thats about as silly as assuming the U.N will actually do something about anything. I just meant that Russia's focus is more likely on other things, and that I doubt that they would throw all the hard-earned goodwill form the Olympics away just to intervene in the Ukraine.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

AllPurposeAtheist

The goodwill of Sochi was lost before it ever got started. Russia still has a huge beaurocracy and plenty of practice at clamping down on descent.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Insult to Rocks

We should probably stop speculating about this anyway. Has Russia issued any official statements or anything that could give us any idea on their position, or is everyone too focused with Sochi?
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Shol'va

There only needs to be a handful of people high up in government, and it just so happens that Putin is my prime suspect, to have a unified desire that tugs to days past of a glorious mother Russia. Look at the Snowden affair. The US threatened that harboring Snowden would be bad for a country's health and Russia jumped at the opportunity to say a "haha fuck you".
But, as it stands, I don't see a real interest, not when the EU in general is sucking at their delicious oil-filled teat.

Moriarty

<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

Insult to Rocks

-- H. L. Mencken

Hijiri Byakuren

This is the first news story in quite a long time to make me turn on the television. Unfortunately, no one's really doing very much live coverage here in the states.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"This is the first news story in quite a long time to make me turn on the television. Unfortunately, no one's really doing very much live coverage here in the states.
Why would they? We need to know what Justin Bieber is doing and which celebrity has the hottest bod.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"This is the first news story in quite a long time to make me turn on the television. Unfortunately, no one's really doing very much live coverage here in the states.
Why would they? We need to know what Justin Bieber is doing and which celebrity has the hottest bod.
Which promptly reminded me why I usually don't watch television.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Moriarty

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"http://rt.com/news/kiev-clashes-rioters-police-571/

Body count is something around 40 now or there is blatant censorship.

CNN is reporting the truce broke completely apart with well over 100 dead now and hundreds more hurt. Shitz getting out of control.
<Insert witty remark>

"Say what you will about George W. Bush, but he wouldn\'t have stood for Russian aggression in the Ukraine. He\'d have invaded New Zealand by now."--Donald O\'Keeffe.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not sure if I believe any of the news coming out of the Ukraine at this point as there are just to many fingers in the cookie jar. I typically don't buy whatever rt is selling and cnn spins everything too. Not to say Ukrainian government has any credibility,  but if a big bunch of people were in front of me lighting bon fires and heaving fire bombs at me I'd likely want to shoot at them.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

I think something as simple as "the truce broke" isn't really going to be subject to much spin. Now when it comes to why the truce broke that's where you get everyone throwing their agenda in. On all accounts the lack of a lasting truce is worrying.

As per me, if a bunch of people were lighting fires in my yard and lobbing fire bombs at me I'd get the impression that they didn't like me for some reason.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shol'va

APA, I suggest social media sites if you want unfiltered perspectives. Twitter is great at keeping up with what is unfolding live. You will be privy to information before the media outlets pick up on it if at all.

Moriarty

Quote from: "Shol'va"APA, I suggest social media sites if you want unfiltered perspectives. Twitter is great at keeping up with what is unfolding live. You will be privy to information before the media outlets pick up on it if at all.

I would tend to disagree. Sorry. Just seems that most social networking sites are from regular citizens and less credible, they all have their own agendas, just like government officials.

Although, in my completely biased opinion, I tend to think that where there is smoke there is fire (both literally and figuratively in this case). Maybe as an American I am just jaded in my thinking that for citizens to actually take up arms against their own government usually means it has some merit because it will NEVER happen here, we're a bunch of pansies.
<Insert witty remark>