Silly assed South Carolina. ..

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, March 03, 2014, 07:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Here in Columbia a bar cannot operate within 500 feet of a church, but what's even more absurd is any church can force any established bar out of business simply by moving shop within 500 feet. Sorry, if you're bar has been there since reconstruction and pastor x wants you gone all he has to do is open a church across the street and you're effectively out of business.  It kills businesses besides just bars though often killing business for strip malls and other real estate businesses so finally some politicians are taking note trying to slam the brakes on this nonsense.
I won't be here long enough to keep tabs on this, but perhaps my dad will pay attention. We'll see. Stay tuned.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Shol'va

Too bad this is likely done in the name of profit and capitalism rather than some common fucking sense.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Here in Columbia a bar cannot operate within 500 feet of a church
And in SC, there's a church about every 500 feet.  They're like Starbucks over there.  Except they make people say weird (latin?) phrases and swindle them out of their money.  So, they're exactly like Starbucks.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Here in Columbia a bar cannot operate within 500 feet of a church
And in SC, there's a church about every 500 feet.  They're like Starbucks over there.  Except they make people say weird (latin?) phrases and swindle them out of their money.  So, they're exactly like Starbucks.
Ever seen the google map of downtown Columbia?  It's like the capital of heaven..except with a high crime rate...with guns..*choke*  8-[

Jason78

They've got that bass ackwards.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Here in Columbia a bar cannot operate within 500 feet of a church,
What is the reasoning behind this?

AllPurposeAtheist

South Carolina needs no reasoning, it's gods confederate state.  :rolleyes:

Mister Agenda

Speaking of bars, AllPurpose, you'll be able to find me at Jake's starting 7 PM Friday if you're still in town. It's in 5 Points.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

aileron

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Here in Columbia a bar cannot operate within 500 feet of a church, but what's even more absurd is any church can force any established bar out of business simply by moving shop within 500 feet.

The way it's worded, a church, school, or playground opening up shop next to an establishment with a license to serve or sell alcohol won't change anything.  They'd still keep their license if the restaurant or bar were there first.

Your business must be at least 300 feet from a church, school or playground if the church, school, or playground is located in the city. Or your business must be at least 500 feet from a church, school, or playground if the church, school, or playground is located in the county.  These requirements do not apply if the establishment or location was established prior to November 7, 1962 or if you are acquiring a business that is currently licensed to sell alcohol; ABL regulation 7-303 establishes how this measurement is conducted.
I have no problem with this regulation.  It seems to be intended to keep drunk drivers away from areas where large groups of kids play in parking lots or close to them.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"Speaking of bars, AllPurpose, you'll be able to find me at Jake's starting 7 PM Friday if you're still in town. It's in 5 Points.
Heh, appreciate the offer, but I don't drive and I'm staying with my 85 yr old dad. I'll be back on the greyhound bound for Columbus, Ohio come Friday.  I know where two things in Columbia are, dads place and greyhound...sorta.