News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Kiev burning.

Started by Insult to Rocks, February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insult to Rocks

//http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/18/world/europe/ukraine-protests/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
QuoteKiev, Ukraine (CNN) -- Long-simmering tensions exploded anew in Ukraine as clashes between police and anti-government protesters left at least 21 people dead and the capital's central square afire into early Wednesday.

President Viktor Yanukovych will address the nation after meeting with the opposition, Yanukovych's advisers told local media. The exact time for the address has not been announced.

Opposition leader Vitali Klitschko went to Yanukovych's office for talks after hours of clashes Tuesday continued early Wednesday. But the meeting failed to produce a breakthrough.

Klitschko said the president demanded protesters "stop the standoff" and drop weapons that Klitschko said they didn't even have.

"I think the authorities should immediate pull back the police and stop the blood, because people are dying," Klitschko said, according to his Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reforms party. "I told Yanukovich this. How can we negotiate when there is blood being spilled? Unfortunately, he does not understand it."

The fresh violence in Kiev comes amid monthslong turmoil in what is essentially a fight over whether the country's future is alongside Russia or Europe, the latter favored by protesters.

Police confirmed the unrest has spread outside the capital of Kiev to western Ukraine, with protesters attacking police and local government offices in a number of regions.

Explosions ruptured the night air, but it was unclear whether they emanated from protesters' fireworks or a police action. Protesters fed several fires by tossing wood upon the bonfires in Independence Square, which was under the demonstrators' control.

Hundreds of protesters formed human chains passing bricks, rocks, wood -- any projectile for front lines -- and built barricades against a potential police offensive as Tuesday night became Wednesday at Independence Square, located about three blocks from parliament.

In those post-midnight minutes, Ukrainian security forces advanced against some barricades and used stun grenades and water cannons against protesters. Once police gained some ground, they relented and eased. Protesters in the heart of Independence Square threw rocks at police.

With more than 40 police officers injured in clashes with protesters favoring a European Union pact, ominous warnings were issued by Kiev officials and the U.S. Embassy.

City Hall officials warned residents to stay away from the city center "to avoid casualties," and the U.S. Embassy said Ukrainian security services "may take extraordinary measures" following the fiery violence.

The U.S. Embassy "advises all citizens to maintain a low profile and to remain indoors tonight," the mission said Tuesday.

In addition to nine police officers, the 21 people dead included 11 protesters and an employee from the ruling party's headquarters, officials said.
I never knew this was even an issue until know. I have to keep more up to date on politics, it seems. But seriously, watch the video on the articles page. I wasn't kidding when I said Kiev was burning.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

AllPurposeAtheist

This will spread I fear, but tough to say where and how..I hope this doesn't become yet another proxy war with Russia and the west, but it appears headed that way real fast.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

The unexpected consequences of the internet perhaps? I don't know, maybe shoe will tell us if she thinks the western and higher european countries lifestyles and "freedoms" effect the politics of other countries. We would think so, but perhaps that is our ego talking.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "aitm"The unexpected consequences of the internet perhaps? I don't know, maybe shoe will tell us if she thinks the western and higher european countries lifestyles and "freedoms" effect the politics of other countries. We would think so, but perhaps that is our ego talking.
From what I've read, it seems to be more about the residual effects of being dominated by Russia for so long. Lots of former soviet nations and the like have this kind of identity crisis.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

The Skeletal Atheist

Live feed for anyone interested: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwhD3gyqmk

Shit is certainly on fire.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

GrinningYMIR

I hope they can avoid further violence, but that seems unlikely now.

I have a deep respect for the Ukrainian people, and I didn't want to see Kiev burn again
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"I hope they can avoid further violence, but that seems unlikely now.

I have a deep respect for the Ukrainian people, and I didn't want to see Kiev burn again
I just hope it doesn't erupt into a full on civil war. Unfortunately civil war seems to be the all the rage this century. Shit, it was pretty popular last century too.

Also some music going on now, I don't know if it's a protest song or just a song that's popular. Either way it's nice to have a soundtrack while burning shit.

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"
Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"I hope they can avoid further violence, but that seems unlikely now.

I just hope it doesn't erupt into a full on civil war. Unfortunately civil war seems to be the all the rage this century. Shit, it was pretty popular last century too.

Also some music going on now, I don't know if it's a protest song or just a song that's popular. Either way it's nice to have a soundtrack while burning shit.
I think a Ukranian singer is performing for the protesters. I saw a couple other articles detailing it on CNN, so maybe it's on there somewhere.
-- H. L. Mencken

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"

I think a Ukranian singer is performing for the protesters. I saw a couple other articles detailing it on CNN, so maybe it's on there somewhere.
That makes sense. Once again it's nice to have a soundtrack to revolution.

GrinningYMIR

Like I said, I don't want Ukraine to burn. I don't care if it goes EU or Russia, I just would rather see the land and its people happy and not dead

fires have a way of spreading, those protestors are lucky they haven't been burned yet

or tear gassed for that matter
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

The Skeletal Atheist

I too hope for a peaceful resolution to this. I'd rather it go with the EU than Russia to be honest, but I'll admit I'm not the most unbiased person in that matter.

All that said I don't really know how this will turn out. There's a good Russian speaking portion of the population that wants to side with Russia, then there's a large portion that wants to side with the EU, and then a not insignificant portion that wants to just say "fuck it" and just be Ukraine without either. Add to that cultural issues that go back hundreds of years and you have the making of a clusterfuck.

AllPurposeAtheist

I think protesters there know what it means to be under Moscow's thumb, but there's much more going on there than the media reports I think and I wouldn't be to shocked if massive amounts of weapons and money flow from both sides. It may turn out to be the war east v west has been spoiling for for so long. The rise of right wing fascists and the orthodox church in the east vs this muddled nonsense "christianity" of the west especially from the US doesn't bode well.
I'd bet everything I'll ever own that the CIA has plenty of operatives hanging out in Kiev.

Plu

Hm, I met someone from the Ukraine a few days ago. Maybe next time I see her I should ask about this. Although I have no idea if she'd even want to talk about it, of course.

AllPurposeAtheist

I don't think the cia advertises their presence wearing team cia uniforms.  :-k

The Skeletal Atheist