Governments seem to do the opposite of what they say

Started by zarus tathra, February 15, 2014, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Oh...you poor poor victims. I wonder why they might not have liked them.
There is a big differece in hating people who oppress you vs hating people you oppress. Perhaps you missed the memo.

I'm pretty sure some white kids in some school weren't opressing anyone. Probably it was more the other way around, if it's a school full of native americans and a few white people.
Sounds like that falls under the category of just plain shitty luck then.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

By that logic, being born black in early US history is also plain shitty luck. Both are just cases of a majority fucking over a minority.

AllPurposeAtheist

Plu

That sounds like something to strive for, yeah. But I'd settle for people not being a bunch of fucking cunts to everyone even remotely different at this point.

GrinningYMIR

I will admit it, I'm a bit racist.

Where I'm from there are blacks and whites, and though there are intermingling efforts there is still a clear divide. They look at us in distrust and we look at them in distrust

So while there's never any blatant violence there's still enough anger and distrust to make someone wary of being around groups of the other race

For expanse I was walking from class to my car a few weeks ago and I noticed a group of black guys walking around joking, nothing violent but I still took notice and I still looked for areas I could duck into if they decided to try anything

(Here I must negate my own comment because one single member of black or white is an easy target to get jumped)

The guys noticed me and started to follow me, they bunched up and quickened up their pace to close in on me

I ducked into a building filled with people and to my luck, some of the army recruiters, te group moved on.

Racism goes every way, and though we try to deny it. It still permeates our Society
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm sorry, but in case anyone missed the notification there are some real assholes in this world. I didn't cause them all to be that way.  :-$

Jack89

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Oh...you poor poor victims. I wonder why they might not have liked them.
There is a big differece in hating people who oppress you vs hating people you oppress. Perhaps you missed the memo.
So it's ok for my brothers to hate Native Americans now?  Lovely.

Plu

QuoteSo yes, there is a difference, Plu. Those white kids weren't born into some victim identity that they cannot get rid of whatever they do.

But they're living in one now, because of their youth. It works both ways. One group of kids has stories of their grandparents about how their race was wiped out. The other has hands on experience of being beaten up by a bunch of native americans. I'm not sure why one is asked to look beyond actual, personal experience and the other is excused because they heard stories of people who are all long dead being treated poorly by other people who are also long dead and only very superficially resemble anyone alive today.

You can't expect any of this to change if you continue to let people on either side bring up the past and use it as an excuse for behaviour today.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quit yanking out your victim card Jack.  You make this sound as if these kids jumped out of their limousines to beat up the poor white kid on his broken bicycle.
I'm not saying it's right and it's plainly not, but you're mentioning the black panthers in the same breath apparently spooked by anyone not your skin color. Hey, move to Florida. The victim card plays well with juries there I hear.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "VladK"Okay maybe not invaded, but trespassing, yes. Or simply breaking the law.

If the law is injust and morally wrong, than it has no obligation to be obeyed or respected.

The majority of immigrants who move here illegally are extremely hardworking and are not "stealing jobs" (that would be the white CEO's who move them over seas).

The majority of immigrants who move here illegally are not committing any other crime, nor are they criminals in their own country, and are law abiding and tax paying citizens. They are mostly people who are fleeing countries that are full of criminals and poverty and want to contribute to our society.

The majority of welfare goes to white women, not immigrants.

The entire history of America is based on immigration, both legal and illegal. Undocumented workers built the very foundations of modern America, from our railroads, highways, infrastructure and their children have innovated technology used in all fields, from medical to construction to corporate. Many of the top American corporations are owned by the children of immigrants.

The entire history of America also revolves around fearing and demonizing and making the currently in vogue minority a boogieman. It hasn't even been a hundred years since my ancestor's were considered sub-human by the white establishment of America, and before the "Mexicans" (anyone south of the border is now apparently a Mexican) it was the Eastern Asians and African immigrants, as well as groups like the Turks, the Germans and the Japanese (Eastern Asian, obviously...) during WW2 (as well as us Italians), the Irish... pretty much any group besides the English you can imagine has been demonized at one point or another.

If they commit a serious crime, I say deport them without blinking. But if they are coming here, putting money into our government through taxes, working hard and supporting their families so the rest of us don't have to and are just the victim's of American "Boogieman" fears like many of our ancestors were at one point or another... let them be.
I think the biggest misconception is that most illegal immigrants are from South and Central America, when it's actually Canada and various parts of Europe that are the biggest contributors. We make it very hard in this country to so much as renew a work visa.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Plu

Yeah, I keep forgetting other people are just little machines that are fucked up before they even reach 6 years of age and then trapped to live out the rest of their lives in whatever shitty configuration they end up in at that point.

That whole "the only way to improve a society is to remove all the broken parts" approach is starting to look like a better and better option.  :-k

Jack89

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "Jack89"
So it's ok for my brothers to hate Native Americans now?  Lovely.

No it isn't. But then they should remember first before race thing that they were all kids. KIDS.
teenagers in high school on the verge of adulthood.

Jack89

It seems that some justify racial hatred because of social injustice perpetrated by past generations.  I personally see this as a mistake.  It merely produces more racists.  Do you think all modern white racists are a product of old school institutional racism?

Plu

Mno, that argument relates to your idea that people are stuck in such an identity and cannot get out of it. If that's the case, the only reasonable outcomes appear to be either getting rid of all these people trapped in such a harmful and destructive identity so that we can start over with a clean slate, or accept that humanity will suck for all eternity to come.

As a problem solving individual, I can only see one of these two as worthwhile, I just don't really like it so I'll have to keep looking for alternatives.

AllPurposeAtheist

Hmm..get rid of everyone not me.. In the abstract it makes sense. :-k  In practice not so much.