News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Re: What is the purpose of life?

Started by GrinningYMIR, February 12, 2014, 10:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Just for the record, I'm happy this guy is gone.  His threads were pure bullshit and taking up too much time that could otherwise be used talking about more interesting bullshit.   :-D

Poison Tree

Quote from: "SGOS"Just for the record, I'm happy this guy is gone.  His threads were pure bullshit and taking up too much time that could otherwise be used talking about more interesting bullshit.   :-D
I agree. However, unless he said some terrible shit I missed, I don't see why his post shouldn't have been left as a monument to stupidity.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

AllPurposeAtheist

OH! The meaning...! Oh never mind. ? He's gone and apparently nobody else cares.  :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GrinningYMIR

Ever notice that I always end up being the author of the thread after the original guy is banned?
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

josephpalazzo

Does that make you the "Terminator" of AF?

GrinningYMIR

Terminator

A label created by the banned to give voice to their destruction, in the end what they chose to call me is irrelevant

I simply

am
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shol'va

Well guys, the guy was banned, so that must obviously mean that his point was valid and we are in denial.

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Terminator

A label created by the banned to give voice to their destruction, in the end what they chose to call me is irrelevant

I simply

am
"Terminators? We've already dismissed that claim."
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

leo

Quote from: "Shol'va"Well guys, the guy was banned, so that must obviously mean that his point was valid and we are in denial.
Nope.That means we need atleast one chew toy.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "leo"
Quote from: "Shol'va"Well guys, the guy was banned, so that must obviously mean that his point was valid and we are in denial.
I nominate me. I barely ever get to be on the defense here.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"

Be careful what you wish for

leo

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"
You are a cool guy . I don't see how you can quality to the chew toy position. :-k
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

no-excuses

Recently I was visiting a friend of mine in his house, and I came across a piece of paper which i found later that it belongs to my friend’s high school student son. The document was an assignment in religion, the kid is attending a catholic school, and the assignment was about what the student holds as beliefs and his understanding of religion, God and life generally.
One of the questions was, do you think there is a purpose to life? And it caught me in a way that I started thinking about it myself. It is not the first time I think about that, but what made me interested in it more this time was the fact that it was asked to a 14 years old kid. I believe, even though I don’t have any statistics, that the majority of human being believes that there is a purpose of life or at least they believed in that at some point in their lives.  So, is there a purpose for life? and if there is what is it?

I personally, don’t believe that there is a purpose for life, that is not a surprise being an atheist, but even in the atheist community there are some people who believe there is a purpose. I strongly believe that we are merely accidents of nature, we got the brain that thinks, conclude, and decide. The brain is the key to all our questions about supernatural phenomenon.
What would be the purpose of life that we can possibly think of?  Be good? Make a change? Or just simply do everything in your power to guarantee a pass ticket to heaven. After life is completely disregarding the purpose of life itself, it makes us look like Lab rats or experiment monkeys. So that is definitely not the purpose.   

Let’s think again, so we grow up and as children we go through all kind of experiences good, bad and neutral which leaves it’s marks on us and simply define who we going to be as adults, adulthood is a series of interactions with people around us and there is no clear indications for any fundamental purpose of our lives. It is completely chaos when you attempt to find a pure spiritual experience or a distinctive goal to give a meaningful purpose of life. So basically you can’t find a purpose to your life even when you really look for it, however, many people will claim that they know and they fulfilled their purpose in life and that they are satisfied with it. It could be any sort of achievements ranging from academic to religious and anything between them. Well that is not necessarily satisfy me because that is ultimately means that life have multi-purposes and everyone is tailoring the purpose to themselves.
What I’m saying is that life is so great to have a purpose it is merely an organic process that has a beginning and an end with a pile of events in between that we, as human being, consider a magnificent era. Let us make it clear that there is no purpose of life whatsoever, let us just make clear that we don’t really need to think about it anymore and let us just get done with it.

Mermaid

My purpose in life is to eat sushi.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Mermaid on March 22, 2014, 08:17:21 PM
My purpose in life is to eat sushi.

Do you eat sushi and do a lot of sushittt? Sorry, couldn't help... :biggrin2: