News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Re: What is the purpose of life?

Started by GrinningYMIR, February 12, 2014, 10:36:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

The purpose of life is what you make of it
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

SGOS

Good Grief!  One sentence and one post, and you're already begging the question.  You need to study up on fallacies before you try to engage this forum.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "ciko"What is the purpose of life, atheists? do you have any answer?
This is a loaded question. It operates on the assumption that life needs a purpose.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Plu

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "ciko"What is the purpose of life, atheists? do you have any answer?
This is a loaded question. It operates on the assumption that life needs a purpose.

I'm with Hijiri Byakuren on this one.

CloneKai

Youssuf Ramadan

If you feel you need a purpose, then you need to create one for yourself.

We are survival-and-reproduction machines like other organisms.  Unlike other organisms, we are self-aware and have the ability to ponder our 'purpose' or lack thereof and to actively choose whether we reproduce or not.

Many religious people are so caught up in their own sense of self-importance that they demand that they be central to the plans of an all-powerful cosmic super-wizard.  Isn't hubris supposed to be a sin?   Another example of cognitive dissonance.

Never underestimate the power of the human ego.

Plu

Quotecant you see that you as atheists dont know the real purpose of life, just look at you answers, every say different answer.

We're not a homogenous group. (That means we're not all the same.) Obviously, we're going to have different answers.

Quoteeverything has some kind of purpose

Really now? Then I suppose you know all of them? Otherwise you can't claim this. Do you claim to know the purpose of everything?

Poison Tree

Quote from: "CloneKai"To reproduce!   :roll:
I'd quibble with you semantically and say "to propagate itself"
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

CloneKai

Car are made so people can break them.

What is your purpose of life? Kissing sky daddy ass all day.
 :popcorn:
Thats what !slamic people tell me.

AllPurposeAtheist

We're just livestock for zee alienz!  :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

CloneKai

Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Quote from: "CloneKai"To reproduce!   :roll:
I'd quibble with you semantically and say "to propagate itself"

For the record, I was not thinking with my head at the time. :lol:

SGOS

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Many religious people are so caught up in their own sense of self-importance that they demand that they be central to the plans of an all-powerful cosmic super-wizard.  Isn't hubris supposed to be a sin?   Another example of cognitive dissonance.

Never underestimate the power of the human ego.
+1  

It seems the more egotistical a religious thinker is, the more likely he's going to bring up this "purpose" crap.  It seems they have a purpose, not just an ordinary purpose, mind you, but an "Oh so special" purpose.  

They never ponder the question, "Is there even a purpose?"  Nope, they don't even stop there.  That would waste too much time on prerequisite fundamental issues that would confound and delay them from bragging about their special purpose.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "ciko"you answer is not good, let say

And who gets to decide whether an answer is good or not? You?

Quote from: "ciko"that i make life criminal life, living like drugdealer, is that purpose of my life??? or that i professional bankrobber, is that purpose of human being?

In those examples, the purpose would be to make money, not the activity itself.  People can choose to work jobs or to be criminals.  That is a decision based on ethics and socioeconomic reasons, not purpose as you define it.

Quote from: "ciko"let me give you a clue, if you find an answer wich can be applied on everyone, then you have find purpose of life, i know the answer i just want to see how you atheist look upon purpose of life, and i can see that you dont agree on one purpose of life and you have different toughts on purpoe of life, so there is no agreement on purpose of life wich is evidence for me that you dont know the answer but only guess, maybe this maybe that...like you use to do :-D

Let me give YOU a clue.  Different people will have different answers.  That is one of the beauties of not subscribing to a bunch of bronze age dogma devised by uneducated goat-wranglers.  Individuality.  It's great.  You might want to try it some time - it's much better than living under the eternal fear of the wrath of a non-existent sky-daddy.   :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

If a god does exist then your purpose is that of an ant the god toys with torturing under his big invisible magnifying glass. If you can only get across the sidewalk to the safety of the underground colony.... :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

leo

The purpose of  life is eating , shitting , peeing , having sex , to most people having kids , to most people growing old and die.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .