If My Daughter Learns Evolution, She’ll Get Rejected from Vet School, Says West

Started by Termin, June 01, 2015, 12:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Termin

Earlier this month, West Virginian Kenneth Smith filed a lawsuit against everyone he could think of involved in teaching evolution to his daughter.

That list included the Jefferson County Board of Education, the State Superintendent, the U.S. Secretary of Education, and the Director of the National Institutes of Health. (If he were alive, I’m sure Charles Darwin would have made the list.)

What did they all do wrong?

Smith says that by promoting evolution, they’re ruining his daughter’s ability to get into veterinarian school, thereby stopping her from earning a good living.

Their actions during the 2014-2015 school year affects my child’s future directly through the state grading system to enter college and ability to earn economic security and a good job in her chosen veterinarian medical field of work, by being taught a faith base (evolutionary ideology) that just doesn’t exist and has no math to back it.

…

While denying the Plaintiff’s accurate scientific mathematical system of genetic variations that proves evolution is a religion. It will benefit our government economically and efficiently increase our judicial and law enforcement departments in many ways.

I have no idea how that makes any sense… or if Smith knows how to speak the English.

Smith, who’s not a lawyer, will be representing himself in court. Because, I’m guessing, no attorney would touch this case with a ten-foot pole.

If you’d like to learn more about Smith’s philosophy, just check out his 2013 book The True Origin of Man. Here’s just one meaningful excerpt:

In much the same way, as the number of whitish blond-haired people began to increase the number of people with pure white hair dwindled. The more the number of redheads increases, the more the natural blond-haired adults will be absorbed by decreasing into extinction, because of the effects of Kendihuchrodnamixgenesis.

Obviously.

(Can someone introduce this guy to the woman who sued all homosexuals? I feel like they’d become good friends in no time.)

Might as well get the obvious out of the way: No, learning evolution will not hurt your chance of getting into vet school. It will only help you. Not only will your biology classes make more sense, evolution helps us understand how life came to be, which gives us insight into how things can go wrong. If you don’t understand that, it becomes much harder to treat animals that need your help.

I would love to hear what his daughter thinks about all of this. Is she on board with this lawsuit or is she super-embarrassed by it?

Either way, you can bet this lawsuit will be thrown out. There’s just no legal basis for Smith’s rant.

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

drunkenshoe

QuoteTheir actions during the 2014-2015 school year affects my child’s future directly through the state grading system to enter college and ability to earn economic security and a good job in her chosen veterinarian medical field of work, by being taught a faith base (evolutionary ideology) that just doesn’t exist and has no math to back it.

Err... Nobody's equipped to deal with this level of ignorance and stupidity. Poor daughter.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AtheistLemon

And if the lawsuit ever went through and made enough of an impact to force schools to stop teaching evolution, we can just see how 'well' his daughter will do in veterinarian school.

"Cells? GENETICS?! Nonsense! Everyone knows cats poofed into existence. Instead of medicine, we need to re-poof the cat into existence as a healthy one. Everyone start praying!"

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Faith based Veterinary care!  You don't need an education, just horse sense.

Johan

What's the frequency Kenneth? Kenneth, what's the frequency? I know you know.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Considering that cats and dogs and other pets are the direct result of artificial selection, I'd imagine that learning about that stuff might be somewhat relevant for vets.

AllPurposeAtheist

I hear he beats his labradoodle every day trying to turn it into a wolfe. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 01, 2015, 11:00:22 PM
I hear he beats his labradoodle every day trying to turn it into a wolfe. .
If it was this kind of wolfe it might work.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

there is a cure for that kind of stupid, but there is no cure for that kind of wanton stupidity.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AtheistLemon

Quote from: aitm on June 02, 2015, 12:28:48 PM
there is a cure for that kind of stupid, but there is no cure for that kind of wanton stupidity.
"PSSSH. CURES?! What are you talking about? There is no such thing as VIRUSES, or CURES! We need to pray, obviously!"

trdsf

Can the judge not only throw it out with prejudice, but sentence him to being kicked in the balls by a biologist?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan