What "rights" do you think it would be useful to have?

Started by zarus tathra, February 09, 2014, 03:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladK

The so-called right to not listen is pretty much self-enforced since you don't need to listen to anything any one says. You don't like someone's views, you can walk away, if he follows he's probably breaking some law already that deals with stalking or harassment.

AllPurposeAtheist

Representatives, senators and politicians in general are not in such abundant supply that they have unlimited time to listen to each individual constituent. Are you somehow suggesting each politician ought to be available 24/7 and forced to listen to any and every rant any citizen might have? We already have a do nothing congress so think it over. Just how slow should the legislative process be to accomidate this?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: "Atheon"Freedom from right-wingers.
aka Canada (not exactly true, but that's how I like to see it)

SilentFutility

Quote from: "zarus tathra"I'm not here to debate whether or not rights exist. I'm here to discuss what rights should be guaranteed/protected.

For me, I think the converse of free speech is the right not to listen. It's the only way to really make sure that free speech isn't abused. It's also a good counter to the Marxist criticism that "free speech is a bourgeois prejudice." I absolutely believe that freedom of speech should be protected, and I also believe that the freedom of not listening should also be protected.

Isn't "freedom to not listen" as you suggest it covered by freedom of thought?

My own view on the matter is that I would fight for the right of another person to voice their opinion, and I also fully reserve the right to think it's utterly stupid.

zarus tathra

I think that 95% of these "rights" we're coming up with are dedicated to supporting "freedom of thought."
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

CloneKai

Freedom to move. Freedom to live wherever you damn want.

No visa.

zarus tathra

QuoteYou've got rights, lots of rights. Sometimes I count them just to make me feel crazy... But right now you've got a piece of glass shoved in a major artery in your arm, right now you're bleeding to death. Right now I'm the only one person in the world who can get you to a hospital in time. -Batman
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

VladK

Quote from: "Atheon"Freedom from right-wingers.

Ooh! Does that mean we get to have freedom from leftists as well?

Quote from: "CloneKai"Freedom to move. Freedom to live wherever you damn want.

No visa.

That would be a demographic disaster. Borders are a good thing given the world we live in with conflicting cultures, different languages, different interests etc.

aileron

I would like all people to have the right to be free from military conscription unless their nation is invaded.

If you're in the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany wants to exterminate your entire population, there's a point to conscription.  If you want to conscript people to fight a discretionary war, eat shit and die.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Plu

I would like people to be free of conscription even if their nation is invaded.

If your population isn't lining up to fight off invaders, maybe it's time for your government to be replaced by the invader's, because apparently the population has already decided it'd rather be controlled by them.

QuoteThat would be a demographic disaster. Borders are a good thing given the world we live in with conflicting cultures, different languages, different interests etc.

Aren't borders also a major cause of conflicting cultures, different languages, different interests, etc?

aileron

Quote from: "Plu"I would like people to be free of conscription even if their nation is invaded.

If your population isn't lining up to fight off invaders, maybe it's time for your government to be replaced by the invader's, because apparently the population has already decided it'd rather be controlled by them.

Even if the people are happy with their current government and hate the invading government, there's a very high probability they won't line up to fight off invaders without being conscripted:  it's a classic example of a "social trap."

A social trap is when short-term individual gains conflict with long-term social goals.  In a population of millions, the contribution of any one person to defending the nation from invasion is trivial.  An individual's best way to maximize his personal gain is by taking his family somewhere to lie low or flee the nation.  The problem is that if every individual follows his best bet, the whole society loses.

So I see a point conscripting the Soviets to prevent the Nazis from exterminating the whole population (that was their ultimate plan), but I see no justification conscripting Americans to go fight in Vietnam for example.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

zarus tathra

Also, people talk about how the countries in Africa had their border drawn up without any regard for traditional tribal divisions, with the result being that tribes were divided and half and then "forced" to live in the same country as other ethnicities. What has not been proven, however, is that African countries that are racially homogeneous are actually BETTER than African countries that aren't. Because they aren't really noticeably better.

Look at Japan. They're racially homogeneous, and yet they're still really, really concerned about burakumin, descendents of the "underclass" from the old feudal Japanese caste system. If people didn't have race to bitch about, they'd be tearing each other apart a billion other things.

VladK

Quote from: "Plu"Aren't borders also a major cause of conflicting cultures, different languages, different interests, etc?

No, actually they're the result. Remember Yugoslavia? They didn't get along so they became multiple countries. Human nature is tribal and messed up like that, but there's nothing we can do about it.