News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nye/Ham Debate - 22 Questions

Started by Atheon, February 06, 2014, 04:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

After the Nye/Ham debate, Matt Stopera of Buzzfeed asked 22 self-professed creationists to write out questions or comments that they would want to present to the other side.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages ... n-evolutio

Here are my answers.

1. Bill Nye, are you influencing the minds of children in a positive way?

Yes. Teaching science and reason, and debunking woo, are good things.

2. Are you scared of a divine creator?

No. Why should I be afraid of something that doesn't exist?

3. Is it completely illogical that the Earth was created mature, i.e. trees with rings, Adam created as an adult...

I suppose it's possible, but given our understanding of nature, it's so unlikely as to be absurd. It would require heaps of evidence to demonstrate.

4. Does not the second law of thermodynamics disprove evolution?

No, because the earth is not a closed system. It receives energy from the sun and from heat deep within its mantle.

5. How do you explain a sunset if their [sic] is no God?

The rotation of the earth.

6. If the Big Bang theory is true and taught as science along with evolution, why do the laws of thermodynamics debunk said theories?

They don't. See Question 4.

7. What about noetics?

Not relevant to the topic.

8. Where do you derive objective meaning in life?

I don't.

9. If God did not create everything, how did the first single-celled organism originate? By chance?

By abiogenesis: the organization of ever more complex compounds until a self-sustaining self-replicating system forms. Evolution starts once that is established.

10. I believe in the Big Bang theory ... God said it and BANG it happened!

Bully for you.

11. Why do evolutionists/secularists/huminists[sic]/non-God believing people reject the idea of their [sic] being a Creator God but embrace the concept of intelligent design from aliens or other extra-terrestrial sources?

We "embrace" such a concept? That's news to me. However, supposing this happened, life would still originate ultimately from a natural source.

12. There is no inbetween... the only one found has been Lucy and there are only a few pieces of the hundreds necessary for an official proof?

No, we have many fossil Australopithecus. Eight, if I'm not mistaken. And that's just that genus. There are reams of hominid fossils, presenting a very gradual but clear change over time. And as for other fossils... countless examples, with more being discovered every day.

13. Does metamorphosis help support evolution?

Not sure of the relevance of the question. Could you elaborate?

14. If Evolution is a Theory (like creationism or the Bible), why then is Evolution taught as fact?

The Theory of Evolution is a scientific model that explains the fact of evolution. Oh, and neither creationism nor the Bible are theories.

15. Because science by definition is a "theory" - not testable, observable or repeatable", why do you object to creationism or intelligent design being taught in school?

Science is all about observing, testing and repeatability. Creationism (which includes "intelligent design") is non-scientific bunkum.

16. What mechanism has science discovered that evidences an increase of genetic information seen in any genetic mutation or evolutionary process?

Mutation.

17. What purpose do you think you are here for if you do not believe in salvation?

I determine my own purpose in life.

18. Why have we found only 1 "Lucy" when we have found more than 1 of everything else?

See Question 12.

19. Can you believe in the Big Bang without "faith".

Yes, because there is evidence for the Big Bang.

20. How can you look at the world and not believe Someone Created/thought of it? It's Amazing!!!

"Look at the trees!" Nyuk nyuk.

21. Relating to the Big Bang theory... where did the exploding star come from?

What exploding star?

22. If we came from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Nice attempt at a Poe there, fellow evolutionist!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Damarcus

Quote5. How do you explain a sunset if their [sic] is no God?

The rotation of the earth.

wow. They actually asked that? And that's your answer? Clearly it was the mighty Helios and His winged horses pulling His chariot of fire across the sky.

And they love lucy as well and they tout their inability to google as proof that evidence doesn't exist. I used to love answering lists like these, but all the lists end up being exactly the same. It's almost as if they don't listen to the evidence and have a vested interest in keeping their position.
Quote from: \"Tony Harrison\""This is an outrage!"

Quote from: \"Plu\"When you can\'t wield logic, everything sounds like an insult.

Plu

I like how they added number 10, even though it isn't even a question. Shows how interested they are in gaining knowledge vs shouting to the world that they still think they are relevant.

Gawdzilla Sama

They were, no doubt, coached on what to say in those pix. "If it's a really good question we'll put it on the Internet."  :roll:
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

I've decided to ignore the PRATT questions, and move on to deciding which people in the pics I'd shag and which ones I wouldn't:

1.  Would not shag.
2.  Would not shag.
3.  Would not shag.
4.  Would not shag.
5.  Would shag.
6.  Would not shag.
7.  Would shag.
8.  Would shag.
9.  Would not shag.
10.  Would shag.
11.  Would not shag.
12.  Would shag.
13.  Would shag.
14.  Would not shag.
15.  Would not shag.
16.  Would not shag.
17.  Would shag.
18.  Would not shag.
19.  Would not shag.
20.  Would shag.
21.  Would not shag.
22.  Would shag.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: "Jason78"I've decided to ignore the PRATT questions, and move on to deciding which people in the pics I'd shag and which ones I wouldn't:

1.  Would not shag.
2.  Would not shag.
3.  Would not shag.
4.  Would not shag.
5.  Would shag.
6.  Would not shag.
7.  Would shag.
8.  Would shag.
9.  Would not shag.
10.  Would shag.
11.  Would not shag.
12.  Would shag.
13.  Would shag.
14.  Would not shag.
15.  Would not shag.
16.  Would not shag.
17.  Would shag.
18.  Would not shag.
19.  Would not shag.
20.  Would shag.
21.  Would not shag.
22.  Would shag.

Enh, 20 isn't my type
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Plu

The stupid probably burns too strong in them for any of them to make that list :/

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Questions. WTF.  :roll:

I refuse to shag any human asking those questions, even if I die from sex deprivation. And I am pretty close. :P
I really hope this isn't on the evening news.
Coroner's report: The poor woman may have died from some terrible lingering disease, we're not sure, but definitely suffered from sex deprivation which ultimately lead to her demise.  :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Enh, 20 isn't my type

She kinda reminds me of Kate Micucci

[spoil:3crjb1j5][/spoil:3crjb1j5]
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

Yeah but Kate Micucci is really smart and witty, and that's what makes her attractive :P These people are dumb as sacks of rocks.

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't you think you're being kind of harsh toward the intelligence of rocks?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Poison Tree

Quote from: "Atheon"12. There is no inbetween... the only one found has been Lucy and there are only a few pieces of the hundreds necessary for an official proof?

No, we have many fossil Australopithecus. Eight, if I'm not mistaken. And that's just that genus. There are reams of hominid fossils, presenting a very gradual but clear change over time. And as for other fossils... countless examples, with more being discovered every day.
I quick search I did yesterday suggests it is like 360 Australopithecus afarensis remands. If we start throwing in other Australopithecus (anamensis, africanus, ect) then I have no idea how many there are.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Hydra009

Couldn't help but notice how many of the questions in the OP are about God and not evolution.  Methinks creationists are trying apologetics and the whole "debate" is simply the vehicle for it.  They don't give a damn about evolution.

Insult to Rocks

Quote from: "Plu"Yeah but Kate Micucci is really smart and witty, and that's what makes her attractive :P These people are dumb as sacks of rocks.
:evil: See username.
Honsetly, I've seen lists like this before, and they made about as much sense then as they do now. Whats up with creationists and lists?
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

PickelledEggs

Here is a great, one image reaction to the 22 creationist questions//http://redd.it/1x6r7c