News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bill Nye vs Ken Ham

Started by Jutter, February 05, 2014, 01:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

[youtube:36xjkxw7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI[/youtube:36xjkxw7]

I like how Bill used geology more than biology to counter Mr Ham. You don't hear that approach often, and it outflanks the anti-evolution bs arguments nicely.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Hijiri Byakuren

I'm just happy to see (from the length of the video) that they don't seem to have edited it yet.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

The Skeletal Atheist

Ken Ham used "you weren't there" as an actual argument. That's all you really need to know about this debate.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Ken Ham used "you weren't there" as an actual argument. That's all you really need to know about this debate.
Was HE there at the Garden? What was he doing on Day Four (excused for the first three, no Sun.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Poison Tree

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Ken Ham used "you weren't there" as an actual argument. That's all you really need to know about this debate.
Was HE there at the Garden? What was he doing on Day Four (excused for the first three, no Sun.)
GOD was there and god told Ham--and god can't lie.

Haven't you ever played this game before?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
GOD was there and god told Ham--and god can't lie.

Haven't you ever played this game before?
Just wanted to get the "God talks to me" out there, cause we know what it means when God talks to YOU.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I'm just happy to see (from the length of the video) that they don't seem to have edited it yet.
I downloaded it in High Def with flash downloader and I'm going to re upload the whole thing on a dummy youtube channel in a week or two. They say at the end that it's going to be archived for only a few days...

Mister Agenda

I had trepidations, but Ham did worse and Nye did better than I expected. It was the ID people who came out worst, they must have been spitting at the way Ham undermined they're 'we're not saying it's God (but it's God)' approach.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

hrdlr110

There was a great opportunity for bill to call ken out on a claim he made about the majority of scientists not being yec, and he passed. He mentioned something like just because the majority believe something, it doesn't make it true. Wouldn't you just jump on that???? Even in passing up that opportunity, i thought bill nye dominated.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "hrdlr110"There was a great opportunity for bill to call ken out on a claim he made about the majority of scientists not being yec, and he passed. He mentioned something like just because the majority believe something, it doesn't make it true. Wouldn't you just jump on that???? Even in passing up that opportunity, i thought bill nye dominated.
I don't know if that necessarily would have been a good move if he did. Even though there is only a small percentage of scientists that believe that, they do exist. And the fact that there are people in the scientific field that believe in a young earth, no matter how low the percentage, makes it a bit tougher to bring up that as an argument for evolution. It's like saying "well, they aren't real scientists because they are yec"

Insult to Rocks

A friend of mine at school showed me about ten minutes of Ham's speech, and that was about all I needed to see in to make me walk away in disgust. I've seen some really bad arguments before, but argunig that you can't make a judgment about the Earths origins because you wern't there when it happened?! He didn't even get the Genesis creation story right. #-o
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

hrdlr110

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "hrdlr110"There was a great opportunity for bill to call ken out on a claim he made about the majority of scientists not being yec, and he passed. He mentioned something like just because the majority believe something, it doesn't make it true. Wouldn't you just jump on that???? Even in passing up that opportunity, i thought bill nye dominated.
I don't know if that necessarily would have been a good move if he did. Even though there is only a small percentage of scientists that believe that, they do exist. And the fact that there are people in the scientific field that believe in a young earth, no matter how low the percentage, makes it a bit tougher to bring up that as an argument for evolution. It's like saying "well, they aren't real scientists because they are yec"

i was referring to belief in gods, the bible, koran etc. Just because the majority believe.........
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

stromboli

I'm in a wet towel mood here, I guess..... I respect Bill Nye for his stance as an atheist and I respect his professional status, but personally I think he is a flake. I don't see anything being gained by this. In the end nobody changes their mid and everyone comes away with what they started with. A whole lot of noise and smoke with no concrete results.

Shol'va

Correction, he has specifically labeled himself agnostic, stating we cannot know and cannot prove whether or not god exists.
You can't know for sure that nobody changed their minds. Think about the demographics too. Sure, odds are the parents in the audience are pretty set in their beliefs, but the kids may start second guessing what their parents are peddling.
Also, those kids that have been indoctrinated by Ham to ask "were you there" may have just gotten curious about those interesting fossils in the layers of the earth and may decide that you know what, I don't care what people tell me I should believe, I am curious and I am going to start exploring.

hrdlr110

Quote from: "Shol'va"Correction, he has specifically labeled himself agnostic, stating we cannot know and cannot prove whether or not god exists.
You can't know for sure that nobody changed their minds. Think about the demographics too. Sure, odds are the parents in the audience are pretty set in their beliefs, but the kids may start second guessing what their parents are peddling.
Also, those kids that have been indoctrinated by Ham to ask "were you there" may have just gotten curious about those interesting fossils in the layers of the earth and may decide that you know what, I don't care what people tell me I should believe, I am curious and I am going to start exploring.

I agree, bill continually challenged people throughout the debate to "check for yourself". Those were not the words from the mouth of ken, he just kept referring to the bible as his proof! Hilariously at some points!!!