Right-wingers fly into bigoted rage over Coke ad

Started by Atheon, February 04, 2014, 10:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Quote from: "Jack89"I also have to point out that there is a glaringly obvious bias liberals/progressives have against whites (often just a little bit of self hate for white liberals). What makes matters worse is that they seem to feel obligated to ignore any negative behavior from other ethnic groups.
As a life-long liberal, having grown up and lived in a very liberal US community (the SF Bay Area) and associating mostly with liberals in my life, I must say that I have never encountered this. I've heard many on the right make this claim, but I have never seen the alleged "white guilt" or anti-white bias.

Also, behavior, positive or negative, is not a function of ethnicity. It is, in great part, a function of culture, subculture and individual traits.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

Other cultures often annoy people either directly and blatant or in much more subtle ways. I look at where I live, the YMCA in Columbus. It's almost 50/50, half black,  half white. I have friends from both groups and hold no anymocity towards either, however when I walk to the restroom that nagging feeling creeps in and I don't really want to be around the black guys. It's not that I feel I'm superior in any way,  but it's like some sort of aggressive meeting place at times. I just want to do my business and get out of there.  I don't dwell on it and don't go to myroom using racial slurs, but it's not a lot of fun. I've lived in shelters where there's enough bad behavior to go around for every race and the racism exists as an ugly under current that's unavoidable. Most staff in shelters are black and some, hardly all will lord their perceived power over others and it's quite blatant. As a white guy in that situation all I could do was to be who I am and treat an asshole like an asshole regardless of the color of their skin and treat everyone else the way I want to be treated, with respect.
Still, for the majority of people the preference is to be with the people you feel more comfortable with. That's not necessarily racist, it's human nature.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Because I spoke fluent English.

How dare you!  No wonder all those americans were offended!  You probably spoke the language better than they do!

You probably got declared gifted because the ability to speak more than one language is looked upon by some as some sort of arcane black magic.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

QuoteYou probably got declared gifted because the ability to speak more than one language is looked upon by some as some sort of arcane black magic.

That's because they only bilinguals they're familiar with are people who speak English and Tongues, which does sound just like arcane black magic.

I wonder if they'd even be able to tell the difference between Turkish and Tongues.

AllPurposeAtheist

The real irony is many of the same fucking nitwits who claim to speak in tongues are the same fucking nitwits claiming English is the official language of the United States. *Oughtn't they be jailed for speaking in tongues?  :rolleyes:

*Yes, people actually use 'oughtn't for better or worse.  :lol:

AllPurposeAtheist

There ya go getting all academicy-like on us. Now I gots ta think n stuff. :)
I'm thinking in particular about that last few paragraphs about jumping up in social class and how people tend to look down their noses at the same groups they come from once they rise in class status.
I'm sure nearly everyone has seen bad examples of people who suddenly come into money, buy a fancy house away from where they came from and treat old friends and relatives really badly. I suspect  it's the 'I got mine and don't ask for anything from me' syndrome, but they never fit in with the new neighborhood,  squander most of the money and eventually move back to the old neighborhood pretending nothing ever changed.
Others move up through hard work or whatever reason and little changes. They have the same friends, still care for family and so on and then there is the group who moves up and everyone below their station in life is trash.

Geez..I'm not wild about tying on this tablet and I have to go pee so I'll stay tuned,  read the thread more and hope I like typing on this tablet more later.   :-?

AllPurposeAtheist

Wow shoe..the local yokles around here would just know that it's some plot to teach English to foreigners so you can come get all the high paying convenience store clerk jobs here. 8-[

Atheon

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"For example before the republic in the last era of Ottoman, French influence was dominant, and so was French.
Oh, so that explains why there are so many French words in Turkish:

bilet, otobüs, otel, milyar, garson, istasyon, ?ampuan, ?ans, üniversite, ...
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SilentFutility

Foreigners hate america....complain!
Foreigners love america....complain!

Jack89

Quote from: "SilentFutility"Foreigners hate america....complain!
Foreigners love america....complain!
I suspect you're right on both accounts.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Did the gop givea shit about that Cheerios ad with the white woman, black man and their daughter?

If I recall correctly, MSNBC joked that they would, and they complained about MSNBC making that joke.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Shiranu

I know several right-wing groups DID get pissed off, but I don't think the GOP proper did.

Edit: I am apparently thinking of a different, older commercial. Didn't realize there was a new interacial commercial.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur