Yellowstone Supervolcano Hyperactivity!!!

Started by Jutter, February 05, 2014, 06:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

A bear shit in the woods.  Call Sarah Palin to hunt that varmint down to save our freedom.   :evil:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: "FrankDK">  Am I the only one worried about this?

No.  The people at Turner Radio Network are completely bat-shit over it.  I noticed that their report didn't include a magnitude number.  How often do quakes of that magnitude occur there?

They talk about the "enormity" of Yellowstone - I don't know what that means.  Maybe, "enormousness"?

Frank
There is a lot of quake activity there, but not like the big ones that we have measured around the world in the last hundred years.  So people don't think about Yellowstone that much.  Perhaps the constant jiggling in Yellowstone is a good thing for us.  The bending of bedrock and tectonic pressures of the volcanic stress points might be constantly relieved by many small quakes, which help to put off a massive explosion that would be likely without all the active pressure relief valves.  But I'm not an expert and don't claim to know what the real experts already admit they don't know about earthquakes.  

Massive Yellowstone explosions in the geologic past have happened, but that 800,000 year thing is only an average of times between devastating explosions, and not something to set your watch by.  If the ground around Yellowstone does cease jiggling for several years, I don't know about you, but I'm going to start stocking up on donuts, canned goods, and a good supply of Blu-ray movies.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Bu$h would have bombed it by now....
And for good reason.  You can't let nature take away our freedom.  We have a powerful military that can smash all threats to freedoms, except for the ones our government decides we can't have anymore.

Gawd Bless 'Murica!!! *salutes*    :rolleyes: