Right-wingers fly into bigoted rage over Coke ad

Started by Atheon, February 04, 2014, 10:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Coca Cola airs an ad during the Superbowl that celebrates the diversity that is America, and Republicans fly into hate-filled rage because it features... gasp... minorities and foreign languages!!! (The horror! The horror!!)

Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks comments:

[youtube:1fl81niq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7REQGN07Y[/youtube:1fl81niq]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Damarcus

well, every good, white, god-fearin' American knows that those damn mexicans and blacks don't drink coke, they just steal it.

I'm not even sure how these people function to be honest. If they see someone with a different skin colour in the street do they try to form a lynch mob?

I guess I just don't understand it because I'm one of those godless foreigners, but Australia is in a situation similar to America, yeah, we've got people who don't even speak english living here, but most of us don't really care.
Quote from: \"Tony Harrison\""This is an outrage!"

Quote from: \"Plu\"When you can\'t wield logic, everything sounds like an insult.

Shiranu

Man, I have to admit... I saw that commercial and didn't even REMOTELY see this coming.

Have they ever heard of the American dream? The fact that our countries history is built upon poor immigrants coming and looking for a life? That we are one of (the?) most culturally diverse countries in the world and that, yes, different cultures speak different languages than 'Murican?

Dafuq.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Coke should do a 'Fuck you' commercial. Oh the possibilities on that one.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Poison Tree

How can you not be upset,
They took a patriotic AMERICAN song and let foreigners get their [s:1a96zapu]dark skinned[/s:1a96zapu] [sub:1a96zapu]grimy little[/sub:1a96zapu] hands and ooga booga languages all over it. This is clearly an affront to our proud nation and the principle it was founded on; that god loves christian white people most of all. And did you see that Cheerios commercial? That black dad just giving his daughter a puppy when she demands it. That's all we are teaching minorities: take, take take. Be it puppies or Obama-care or Obama-phones or amnesty to Mexicans. At least that white mother looked shocked at the moral decay of is nation.

Seriously, though, I knew this was coming. Honestly, the only thing I can't believe is that my facebook feed isn't overflowing with people complaining about it. Guess all my friends are Broncos fans who were too downtrodden to get worked up over anything. Speaking of the big game, did you see how that uppity thug Sherman kept abusing Erik Decker and Manning, two [s:1a96zapu]white[/s:1a96zapu] hard working, blue collar, lunch pail, have a bud light with   kind of guys.

Man, maybe I need to look for a job in the right wing news, this stuff is so easy it writes itself.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

AllPurposeAtheist

Shoe! Certainly you were dressed head to toe in one of them there black bomb hiding burka thingies with your face completely covered, but OMG YOU SPOKE ENGLISH! You didn't like kill anyone or something did you?  :shock: I bet they're on the phone as we speak now with Russian authorities giving the description: A...a...girl! And she spoke ENGLISH! And I bet she's in Sochi planning to disrupt Mr Putin's festival to show the world that God hates fags and ENGLISH speaking foreigners!  

I think you're cool, but one can never be to careful around English speaking women.   :-k

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I didn't get anything from that,APA.  :-| (I am also curious, what do you think I was wearing,lol? )
I'm assuming normal everyday girlie clothing, but heck, you coulda been wearing buffalo skins for all I know.  :)

StupidWiz

I'd love to see those right wingers try to learn our (my) "lesser" language. :roll:

Self centered people like them really make me sick sometimes. Not everybody speaks English, deal with it.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Mermaid

Give me your [s:38vr9g4g]tired[/s:38vr9g4g] whites, your [s:38vr9g4g]poor[/s:38vr9g4g] Christians, your [s:38vr9g4g]huddled[/s:38vr9g4g] English-speaking masses
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

Quote from: "Poison Tree"and ooga booga languages all over it.

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

oh my god...dat was funny
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shol'va

QuoteI am a tourist and just arrived today, I am Turkish
Pretty sure that set up some red flags at the NSA.

Minimalist

Quote(Which is I learned English in high school)

When we visited Turkey several years ago I was astounded by how well the people we came in contact with spoke English.  Not just the guides but shopkeepers, waiters, drivers.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Shol'va

People often mistake the foreigners' knowledge of English with some sort of affection or admiration towards the United States. Few understand that if you hope to communicate with somebody from a foreign country, it's usually via English. I started learning English in 2nd grade. Had a knack for foreign languages so I got moved into advanced classes. By the time I moved to the States I spoke and wrote it better than Americans.

Jack89

What's sad about these types of cynical commentaries is that they deteriorate to the point where whites, especially white males, are labeled as bad guys.  This is the message that non-whites get, contributing to a bias against whites.  That same message is relayed to whites, which seems to elicit 2 negative responses.  Either guilt and a sense of inferiority from being labelled a bad guy, or a "fuck you" attitude that contributes to more white racism against non-whites.

This is media sensationalism that points out responses from high-profile entertainers (Glen Beck, et al) who count on the controversy.  These same entertainers love these bullshit responses that label them as conservatives, it's part of the game and they profit from it.  

I also have to point out that there is a glaringly obvious bias liberals/progressives have against whites (often just a little bit of self hate for white liberals).  What makes matters worse is that they seem to feel obligated to ignore any negative behavior from other ethnic groups.  

Are there racist white people? Of course there are! A shitload of them.  There are also a shitload of racist blacks, hispanics, native americans, and yes, even asians.  A person is not automatically an innocent victim, in need of just a little assistance, and oppressed by the white man, simply because they're not white.  This is an illusion that liberals/progressives seem to cling to. If you try to present any facts contrary to that illusion you'll get, well, crickets.  This willful ignorance does not help the situation.

From my perspective, prejudice is not necessarily attributable to a political leaning or even ethnic groups, but more to class, and rich politicians and media play that angle.  Poor, uneducated people of all ethnic groups are obviously much more prejudice against other ethnic groups than their richer, more educated counterparts.  Mingle a little in less fortunate neighborhoods and you'll get what I mean.  Can politicians and the media profit from that?  Of course they can, and they do.  Party politics seems to be the best way to do it.  It's damn near an art form.

Just a thought.

the_antithesis

Did the gop givea shit about that Cheerios ad with the white woman, black man and their daughter?