Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is the comic book world stagnating?

Started by zarus tathra, February 04, 2014, 08:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on April 06, 2014, 07:31:03 PM
Which Captain Marvel do you mean?
I never actually read those kinds of comics, but I remember a guy in tights that looked like he could have been Wonder Woman's boyfriend.  I think it was the third one shown in the video at :23 seconds.  But we are talking a long time ago about something I wasn't playing close attention to.  Since he is apparently named after Marvel Comics, or maybe the comics were named after him, I'd expect him to be numero uno of the superheroes.  So I'd expect a movie from Hollywood.

Shiranu

Meh, all art mediums have periods of stagnation where you can find good work but you have to look hard for it... golden ages cant go on forever.

Comic books will have a Renaissance or a neo-Rennaissance or whatever name they give it. That or the medium will die to all but the most die-hard. Either way, that is just the nature of art.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on April 06, 2014, 09:08:10 PM
I never actually read those kinds of comics, but I remember a guy in tights that looked like he could have been Wonder Woman's boyfriend.  I think it was the third one shown in the video at :23 seconds.  But we are talking a long time ago about something I wasn't playing close attention to.  Since he is apparently named after Marvel Comics, or maybe the comics were named after him, I'd expect him to be numero uno of the superheroes.  So I'd expect a movie from Hollywood.

Well, there are rumors that Marvelman (AKA Miracleman) may be entering the Marvel universe. Here's two videos explaining that shit. So, he may be a better choice for a film adaptation.

Also, the Marvel Comics Captain Marvel was never popular. Nobody liked him, so they killed him off. Much like Robin. The DC Comics Captain Marvel was the most popular character of the golden age of comics, but that was sixty years ago. No one knows who he is anymore and that they can't use his name in the title of his own book has led DC to officially change his name to Shazam. So he's not even the same character anymore.

jannugimes

No, I don't think so, I am like to read comic book very much, and I am reading "Batman: Hush" just now.

Munch

Comic books had its growing influx of sales in a time period where people wanted fantasy and fiction to escape to, and so didn't mind folking out on buying comics on mass like a subscription.

However today, with the rise of online gaming, with subscriptions and micro transactions associated with those games, as well as ipads offering downloads to films and music at the touch of a button, people don't bother to save there money for comic books like they use to.

I got several subscriptions for online mmos and netflix, so something had to be sacrificed. just as well I don't bother reading comics anymore.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Savior2006

I read some Archie comics when I was little. Otherwise most people just read the comic pages of the paper, or go to webcomics.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano