News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Computer Thread

Started by wolf39us, February 02, 2014, 10:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

So it's been two years since I've upgraded my system and more than 3 since I've upgraded my case.  It's time for a change!

I've decided to stop striving for a smaller setup and start moving back into the beast world!  My current board is micro with only 1 16x PCI-E which I've found to be pretty limiting lately...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813138332

And my computer case is a modular Antec Lanboy Air
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129093

I'm still running a high end outdated video card (NVIDIA) and would love to get a pair of cards for some surround gaming (Triple Screen Gaming).

Since I'll be getting my tax return and the bills are looking good... I'll start myself off with a new board and new case.  I recently upgraded to a core i5 processor so I think my processor is good for now.

Here's what I think I'll be buying today.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133191
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131837

Any other computer nerds have some parts they are looking at lately??  Let's hear it.

Also, if there are any recommendations for me let me know :-)

AllPurposeAtheist

That kick ass pentium II with that scorching 16 mb of ram!  :shock:  I'm looking to run a basic calculator!  :)
Actually for the time being I'm fine with this Samsung tablet for now,  but that will probably change come June or so. I'm still trying to find space in my 80 square foot room for 3 guitars and a spare roll of toilet paper.  :rollin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I think what you have now is not good, but what you are thinking of getting will work fine for your needs. Just make sure it is i7. Graphic cards are changing all the time, get the best you can afford. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"That kick ass pentium II with that scorching 16 mb of ram!  :shock:  I'm looking to run a basic calculator!  :)
Actually for the time being I'm fine with this Samsung tablet for now,  but that will probably change come June or so. I'm still trying to find space in my 80 square foot room for 3 guitars and a spare roll of toilet paper.  :rollin:

toilet paper? Why just grab a handful of rocks and toss em out the winder when done..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Uhhh..I live on the 7th floor.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Johan

At one point I had probably 5 or 6 machines that I used for various purposes desktop, laptop, server, client loner boxes etc. Computer techs are like that sometimes. I stopped doing tech work almost 5 years ago. I think the youngest computer I have that works is currently about 8 years old.

A recent change in role at my current job means there might be a new laptop in my future. No idea what that'll end up being nor who will pay for it. If they pay for it, I'll get whatever they give me. If I'm paying for it or paying for any percentage of it, then it will most likely be a Macbook of some sort with a large enough drive to triple boot between mac win7 and linux.

My desktop? Eh, I don't really need it to do all that much these days. I'll most likely upgrade it at some point, but it might be a year before that happens and even then, it will likely be the oldest/cheapest technology still being produced at that time.  Hell a 4 or 5 year old mac mini with a large enough drive to dual boot mac and win7 would probably get the job done for another 5 years or so for me. My needs are a lot simpler than they used to be.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Hydra009

Quote from: "wolf39us"Any other computer nerds have some parts they are looking at lately??  Let's hear it.
I'm looking at a Radeon R7 270 graphics card (or 270x, depending if I can get a good deal on it) to replace my horribly outdated GeForce GTS 250.

There's a reason I keep reviewing games from 2008-2011.  :P  I'm planning on planning Star Citizen when it comes out and I'm very enthusiastic about Mantle.  So, it's time to change.

However, the price keeps climbing - definitely should have jumped at the chance in Nov/Dec when it was around $180.  Now it's $210.  :(
I can't help but think it's due at least in part to the bitcoin craze going on right now.

Unfortunately, I have a very limited budget so it looks like I might have to wait a few months for a price break.

GrinningYMIR

Finally got my new laptop, here are the specs;

Processor: Intel core i5-2000M CPU @ 2.50 GHZ

8 gigs of Ram

64 bit OS

Intel HD Graphics 4600

NVidia Geforce GTX 765M

Uncertain if it makes a difference but it uses Realtek High Def. Audio. The Speakers are better than my old laptop by a longshot, putting it at 20% sounds like 70% on the old machine.

Also going to get a cooling pad for it, just to make sure it doesn't overheat when I game.

Lastly I'm going to build a PC once I have the money, the current case I have picked out is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119197

Though I'm still looking for one with liquid cooling in addition to the added fans
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

wolf39us

I like that case you've got picked out

GrinningYMIR

Thank you, I think it will work well ice I have the cash for it
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

As long as everything fits, there's good airflow, and it doesn't look fugly, it's fine.  It's hard to go wrong in the tower department.

[spoil:3uuhhecz][/spoil:3uuhhecz]  ...most of the time.

wolf39us

FinalSomnia

I just got done building my own PC. The last time I did that was over ten years ago. Most of the tech has changed, but putting it together was mostly the same in the "make sure everything is plugged in" sense.

My homebuild specs:

AMD 4130 Black Edition CPU (3.8 GHz 4 core)
Asus M5A78-LM USB 3.0 motherboard
1 TB hard drive
8 GB RAM
Win7 64-bit/Ubuntu dual boot OS
Nvidia Geforce GT 640 2gb graphics card
4 blue case fans (counting the one that came with the case) and a fan controller
LG blu-ray burner
WiFi card
Surround sound speakers
ThermalTake V3 Black Edition case

Not counting the new monitor, the whole thing only cost me about $500. I'm pretty happy with it. I've had just laptops for the last 7 or 8 years so going back to a desktop is taking some getting used to.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

aitm

Hey easy question for you compy-heads...yeah I said that.... some of my files both word and excel "dissapeared". Someone told me that by typing a simple search code in the search window  will find any word or excel file, if they are still in the comp somewhere...er.....what would those be?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Quote from: "aitm"Hey easy question for you compy-heads...yeah I said that.... some of my files both word and excel "dissapeared". Someone told me that by typing a simple search code in the search window  will find any word or excel file, if they are still in the comp somewhere...er.....what would those be?
*.doc or *.docx for word docs. *.xls or *.xlsx for excel. Make sure you're searching the entire drive and not just certain folders.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful