News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Computer Thread

Started by wolf39us, February 02, 2014, 10:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Goats, or no goats, this isn't working but at least now I know why.

Every time, I'd get the no post, no beeps error and every time, I'd open it up to see a handful of bent CPU pins.  And every time, I'd straighten them out (the credit card method works surprisingly well), only to see them bent again.  Apparently, I was bending 'em by pushing a little too hard on the heatsink.  The restraining clips are VERY difficult to attach (it's seriously a very tight squeeze and a very slim margin of error), and even harder to detach.  So naturally, I'm using quite a bit of force getting it clamped down and unclamped.  So, that's mistake #1.  (Apparently, using a screwdriver is a must)

But last time, I miraculously got the heatsink on without bending any pins.  No beeps, no post as usual.  I'm almost certain it's the CPU.  Even though I did try to be gentle with it, it's possible that it's down for the count.

Going to try a replacement CPU as well as a replacement heatsink (preferably one that's a lot easier to attach)

But at least the good news is that I'm really good with thermal paste after having to apply it and wipe it off so many times.  (Grain of rice + spreading around with one of those tiny grocery cards method)

Hydra009

Mucked around with my PC one last time before ordering replacement CPU.  No bent pins, CPU properly seated, everything plugged in correctly, thermal paste flawlessly applied, and the infamously difficult heatsink wasn't too bad (the trick is to nearly but not quite clamp down both sides, then just barely clamp on one side and lead it over gently but firmly with a flathead screwdriver) and I barely even used much force this time.  Huzzah.  Still no beeps, no post :(

I'm not 100% sure that I damaged the CPU in my admittedly bad early attempts.  A replacement should solve the problem.

wolf39us

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 22, 2014, 02:04:12 PM
Mucked around with my PC one last time before ordering replacement CPU.  No bent pins, CPU properly seated, everything plugged in correctly, thermal paste flawlessly applied, and the infamously difficult heatsink wasn't too bad (the trick is to nearly but not quite clamp down both sides, then just barely clamp on one side and lead it over gently but firmly with a flathead screwdriver) and I barely even used much force this time.  Huzzah.  Still no beeps, no post :(

I'm not 100% sure that I damaged the CPU in my admittedly bad early attempts.  A replacement should solve the problem.

When it gets down to this point it's nice to have extra testing parts... but in the end you can only speculate by swapping out stuff until you figure it out.

GrinningYMIR

Almost have the funds to make a good gaming PC, but I would like for it to be elitist and whatnot, really good CPU, graphics card, etc.

Any recommendations for specific parts? I'm already going to splurg for a case with liquid cooling but I don't mind saving more in order to her a better machine. I've got about 1200 saved up right now and I'm willing to save up as much as 2000
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Brian37

The solution to all computer problems are as follows. Format C: or a sledgehammer.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Hydra009

Got it back up and running a while ago.  Had to replace both the CPU and the motherboard.  Apparently, the bent CPU pins killed the motherboard or something.  Either that or ESD.  Won't make that mistake again.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on June 08, 2014, 10:10:24 AM
Almost have the funds to make a good gaming PC, but I would like for it to be elitist and whatnot, really good CPU, graphics card, etc.

Any recommendations for specific parts? I'm already going to splurg for a case with liquid cooling but I don't mind saving more in order to her a better machine. I've got about 1200 saved up right now and I'm willing to save up as much as 2000

Unless things have changed recently you'll get better performance and lower temperatures out of a high end four core Intel I7, but an eight core AMD should get you close to the performance with better overclocking support for less money.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

GrinningYMIR

Its official, in a few days I'll have earned enough money to pay for my computer and still cover my college expenses.

Here's my baby, http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd?oc=dpcwxy03s&model_id=alienware-x51-r2#overrides=dpcwxy03s:5985~U2412MCC;6~G760TI;6905~

I'm so excited!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on June 28, 2014, 09:33:42 PM
Its official, in a few days I'll have earned enough money to pay for my computer and still cover my college expenses.

Here's my baby, http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd?oc=dpcwxy03s&model_id=alienware-x51-r2#overrides=dpcwxy03s:5985~U2412MCC;6~G760TI;6905~

I'm so excited!
Starcraft!!!?

Sent from your mom

GrinningYMIR

wolf39us

Here's comes the criticism before you hit that purchase button!

Are you a gamer?  What games do you play?
This machine is $1,600 and it doesn't even include an SSD drive!  The drive that you included here is a 1TB standard speed disk that will run out of space in no time at all (if you're a gamer that is).

They want $350 for a 256gb SSD drive on there.  Just yesterday I spotted a 500gb SSD on Tigerdirect for $200.  Alienware looks nice, but uses standard hardware and charges a premium price.  For the money, you can do much much better.

edit:  You know what, scratch what I said.  You can definitely save money and probably even get better parts... but you'd have to put it all together and won't save more than $300-ish.

Advice, add an SSD and get a larger hard drive!  The rest is good.

GrinningYMIR

SSD, and a larger hard drive, okay. I'll see what I can do

GrinningYMIR

She's ordered up and on the way! Should get it in 2-3 business days. Plus they knocked 150 bucks off the price, getting a free copy of watch dogs too

wolf39us

GrinningYMIR