News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

With debates gone MR can come back

Started by widdershins, February 14, 2013, 03:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: "Bibliofagus"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"What i am currently doing is establishing the absolute necessary need for a non-physical reality.

What's a non-physical reality?

Imaginationland.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

NonXNonExX

As near as i can tell, a non-physical entity is something that talks through an ass and whose son can walk on water. Is that about right?
Confident in the goodness of the Truth, Christians of all people should be the most open to honest inquiry and generous intellectual dialogue. They should not be defensive or desperate; they should be even more committed to seeking and serving the Truth than the professors are.
Timothy Dalrymple, Xtian blogger

Recently discovered Xtian principle: I\'m OK, you may be OK, and they are definitely not OK.

leo

Quote from: "NonXNonExX"As near as i can tell, a non-physical entity is something that talks through an ass and whose son can walk on water. Is that about right?
Yes ! He is back ! :popcorn:
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"What i am currently doing is establishing the absolute necessary need for a non-physical reality.

Imaginationland.

Something that is made up to adhere and to and satisfy the cognitive dissonance of the claimant.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"Something that is made up to adhere and to and satisfy the cognitive dissonance of the claimant.

Dude - that's just.......erm........magical!
 :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Why?  Who cares whether it's necessary?  (Remember - the universe, even though it definitely exists, is not necessary.)  Just prove the existence of a non-physical reality.

If it's necessary, but doesn't exist, so what?  The fact that it's necessary would prove nothing.  ("Necessary" does not mean "exists".)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

the_antithesis

And what does non-physical even mean and how does the non physical interact with the physical?

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "Colanth"
Why?  Who cares whether it's necessary?  (Remember - the universe, even though it definitely exists, is not necessary.)  Just prove the existence of a non-physical reality.

If it's necessary, but doesn't exist, so what?  The fact that it's necessary would prove nothing.  ("Necessary" does not mean "exists".)

Neccesary within the context of our dialouge means a form of existence which must exist by neccesity of it's own existence - or nothing would exist.

There has had to be something, which simply 'just exists'.  There is solidarity among atheists and theists. The theists assert it can not be a physical reality(i am going to go back to the archive and respond to posts soon and explain why). The atheist asserts it must have been physical.
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran
Apostasy Islam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oKXh2oy8E[/url]

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "Jason78"

Imaginationland.

Imagination land , i would say, is in the belief in an infinite number of universes, where everyone registered on this forum is holding hands and randomly together in unison reciting the entire works of Shakespeare in unison by guessing randomly at words.
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran
Apostasy Islam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oKXh2oy8E[/url]

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

the_antithesis

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Neccesary within the context of our dialouge means a form of existence which must exist by neccesity of it's own existence - or nothing would exist.

Nonsense.

GurrenLagann

To say that something necessarily exists is only to say that you cannot think- or in this case, want- to find an explanation for it.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Colanth

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"
Quote from: "Colanth"

Neccesary within the context of our dialouge means a form of existence which must exist by neccesity of it's own existence - or nothing would exist.
That's meaningless babble.  Why not just admit that it's nonsense you made up, forget it and move on?  ("Must exist by necessity of its own existence" pre-supposes that it exists, so that's the fallacy of assuming your conclusion.)

QuoteThere has had to be something, which simply 'just exists'.
Another mere assertion.  WHY?

QuoteThere is solidarity among atheists and theists. The theists assert it can not be a physical reality(i am going to go back to the archive and respond to posts soon and explain why). The atheist asserts it must have been physical.
Nope.  Atheists assume that what is, is.  (Which, being a tautology, must be true.)  Anything else is your assertion, not ours.

And not all theists require it to be non-physical.  ("Theist" doesn't mean "Judeo/Christian/Moslem".)

Colanth

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"To say that something necessarily exists is only to say that you cannot think- or in this case, want- to find an explanation for it.
He's saying it in the sense that it must exist for his beliefs to not be nonsense.  It's necessary for his sanity, not for the existence of the universe.  Which is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

GurrenLagann

To add to what Colanth said, to say that something contains within itself the necessity/reason for existence is a, strictly,  meaningless statement. It is not only incomprehensible, but nonsensical. And if you're going to say that something can exist without a knowable cause for its existence, you have to admit that you know of no way to show that the universe couldn't fit your description as a necessary thing.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Imagination land , i would say, is in the belief in an infinite number of universes, where everyone registered on this forum is holding hands and randomly together in unison reciting the entire works of Shakespeare in unison by guessing randomly at words.
And yet it has more evidentitary support than your nonsense.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu