News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

With debates gone MR can come back

Started by widdershins, February 14, 2013, 03:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "Plu"Oh my. He's back. I wonder if he's learned anything in his recent bout of exams.

I sure did. As much as i enjoyed debating, i had to tend to real life work,  and prioritization pays off. I did like reading all of the conspiracy theories here.
"Let there be no compulsion in religion, for truth is clear from error" - Quran
Apostasy Islam]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oKXh2oy8E[/url]

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

[size=150]"The cure for ignorance is to question" -Muhammed(pbuh)[/size]

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Hey guys, it feels great to be back.

I have had a lot of things to do in real life, and that required almost all of my effort. I have seen the final posts on the Archive, i will be responding to recent arguments, as well as drafting and re-thinking one or two of my ideas.
So, expect yet another long, meandering OP?   :-k

A few tips:

*  KISS
*  One subject at a time
*  Answer objections (anticipate them if possible)

Often a single topic has many branches which need to be discussed. Quite often i have had posters bringing in things not even part of the branches.

And i do answer objections. I am working on one right now. If i am not comfortable or feel i need to do more research and double check what a user has said, i take my time on it.

I'm in no rush :)

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world\'s most influential persons may surprise some readers ... but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
? Michael H. Hart]

AllPurposeAtheist

AGAST! The SAME MR who changed into a crime fighting superhero 12 year old Japanese girl? :shock: Nooo..not THAT MR???
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"And i do answer objections. I am working on one right now.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"And i do answer objections. I am working on one right now.
[ Image ]

AllPurposeAtheist

I object to 12 year old Japanese schoolgirls parading around as 'grown' men.. but that's just me.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PJS

I thought this thread would be about Mitt Romney
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

widdershins

Quote from: "PJS"I thought this thread would be about Mitt Romney
Let's see, insanely religious, won't listen to reason, disappears in time to avoid the tough issues...  Eh, close enough.
This sentence is a lie...

Zatoichi

Dang.

That debate, and the hope of seeing it continue, is what brought me to join this forum.

Still worth it though but I would have liked to see more of that debate.
"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

bennyboy

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Often a single topic has many branches which need to be discussed.
If only there were a way to narrow a discussion down to a single focus, possibly between only two people.  We should invent something like that-- it might catch on.
Insanity is the only sensible response to the universe.  The sane are just making stuff up.

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "bennyboy"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Often a single topic has many branches which need to be discussed.
If only there were a way to narrow a discussion down to a single focus, possibly between only two people.  We should invent something like that-- it might catch on.

I chuckled at that. :)~

Heck, I'll debate you if you MR want a softer opponent. ;-)
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"AGAST! The SAME MR who changed into a crime fighting superhero 12 year old Japanese girl? :shock: Nooo..not THAT MR???

Lol - please direct me to that user/thread?

I have not been on here since january 26th, having had to do quite a few things in real life.

? Michael H. Hart]

mendacium remedium

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"
Quote from: "bennyboy"

I chuckled at that. :)~

Heck, I'll debate you if you MR want a softer opponent. ;-)

I do not look at these as me vs x, or me vs you. I simply look at it as a dialouge, a discussion, scrutinizing opposing views.
If i ever see the truth in what someone who has different views as me says, i will gladly, without any shame, submit to those views.

I will be debating BennyBoy, but those debates are more focused on the assumption that God exists, therefore how can he be sentient ect.

What i am currently doing is establishing the absolute necessary need for a non-physical reality.

While on the whole i do respect most of the posters here, i have seen an alarming ammount of ... blind belief? Surprising to find that here , to be fair.

I.e When on chat, i will not name users, but i was told my 'arguments were non sequitor' and that i needed to 'pick up a cosmology book' when i was trying to convince someone String theory relies on assumed / not evidenced dimensions.

Infact, i re-call being on the other thread convincing everyone that according to modern science and testable data, due to dark energy, the critical mass of the universe is not sufficient to enable it to contract again - so it will expand for good  due to dark energy.

I was told that i was appealing to authority, and that my claims were false, and a few other analogies of arguments were thrown my way.

What i have seen so far is good arguments, and then a large band of people throwing one liners : "ad hominem" "tu quoque" ect, and misusing it most of the time.

When you ask "how is it x ? "

So i call on honesty on both sides, mine, and the few who are on the other side.

? Michael H. Hart]

Jason78

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"I.e When on chat, i will not name users, but i was told my 'arguments were non sequitor' and that i needed to 'pick up a cosmology book' when i was trying to convince someone String theory relies on assumed / not evidenced dimensions.

Your arguments were a non-sequitur!  You were arguing that if you could show that infinities didn't exist that therefore your god must.

The one has nothing to do with the other.

I told you to learn something about cosmology when you conflated about 3 different multi-verse theories.  Even though I repeatedly asked you, you could not state which multi-verse theory you were attacking.

If you're going to lie and try and play the martyr, I will pull you up on it.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"What i am currently doing is establishing the absolute necessary need for a non-physical reality.

What's a non-physical reality?
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.