News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Essential General Relativity

Started by josephpalazzo, January 22, 2014, 04:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Quote from: "likebutNotTheSame"Thanks for the summary.

Reality is hard to understand. If it where easy would we all be in this mess that the world is?

I takes MORE than simple calculus, it takes 4 dimensional tensors, with the understanding of gradients and MORE to have even a chance to perceive what Einstein proposed, not as KNOWING, but as MAYBE (Yeah, he was HONEST about it)

The bar to TRUE UNDERSTANDING is difficult. Oops, I've never known TRUE UNDERSTANDING, so maybe this is words for others. STUPID OTHERS who KNOW PURE, PERFECT, COMPLETE.

So, what should this dude have said that might have been relevant to all those STRUGGLING around him to MAKE THIS WORLD BETTER?
(other questions? Your questions are not mine. I care for SURVIVAL, FOR MORE, not survival for the few)

Black Whole... some say a monster of horror, I say pivotal expression of order.

Photons... are real things, and have mass. I say, they are resonant, potential differences or FREE energy, needed by all life. VITAL/NECESSARY for all LIFE TO GROW AND CHANGE.

Space is curved they say, I SAY IT IS WARPED and strange... Others LONG to understand what lies beyond, when we have only time to not consider the MESSED UP, INSANE, POISONOUS EXISTENCE that is LIFE.

That which is around, abounds, exists.

What matters. What WE DO. What we CHOOSE.

YOU MUST STRUGGLE FOR BETTER AS YOU ARE.

Don't you adore LIFE, all those like, different from you but LIFE. Don't you LOVE and ADORE them and long for a better existence than I have known for them? I LONG FOR THEM TO KNOW A BETTER STRUGGLE THAN MINE, and MY WILL AND STRUGGLE MATTERS. I MATTER. I AM MATTER. I AM JOHN. I CHANGE, to adore those who are adorable better.

I AM NOT A SONG. (although I sing, and Pure One is my harmony... the Pure One is never counted on to be there, the Pure One is only perceived, never UNDERSTOUND---hah, welcome? You fools, the Pure One needs no welcome. The Pure One is in all, with all, through all. Without the Pure One, YOU ARE NOTHING. What is something? The Pure One.

I am NOT unique.

I am not PERFECT/PURE/STUPID... these three things go together.

In the beginning there was... It's over. I KNOW WORDS, I KNOW SHALLOW ICONIC IDEAS, I KNOW STUPID LIES.

I know... what came before and humanity is soooo tiered of your bs and lies.

We are no longer humble and starving for you expression, WE PERCEIVE YOU and  KNOW YOU ARE FOOLS.

Try to be more original fool! We need them in life's early morning.
 We need them again at its close;
 We feel their clasp of true
 Friendship, we seek them when tasting life's woes.
 At the altar each day we behold them,
 And the hands of a king on his throne
 Are not equal to them in their
 Greatness: their dignity stands all alone;
 And when we are tempted and wander
 To pathways of shame and of sin,
 It's the hand of a priest that will absolve us
 --- not once, but again and again.
 And when we are taking life's partner,
 Other hands may prepare us a feast,
 But the hand that will bless and unite
 Us is the beautiful hand of a priest.
 God bless them and keep them all holy
 For the Host which their fingers caress;
 When can a poor sinner do better than
 To ask Him to guide thee and bless?
 When the hour of death comes upon us
 May our courage and strength be increased
 By seeing raised over us in blessing the
 Beautiful hands of a priest    :P  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Solitary"That may be so, but it could be correct and he was wrong,

If you believe so, you would be on the wrong side of history. Since 1915, GR is the only theory that can explain the anomalous precession of Mercury's orbit, the bending of light near the sun, GPS, and gravitational redshift.

Quoteand why cosmology and a unified theory are at a stand still.

The standing still is not due to GR, but mainly due to our inability to produce a quantum theory of gravity. And there are those who believe that gravity is not the type of force that could be quantized. No one is thinking of quantizing the coriolis force for instance. So it's very possible that a quantum theory of gravity is just not possible.

QuoteWhen I say wrong, I mean like Newton was.  I believe hawking's is on the right track with cosmology now and no one is listening. There are so many things in physics we still don't understand like what is a photo really like, or space-time that are fundamental to physics.

I'm not sure that Hawking was on the right track. As a matter of fact I'm working on my next blog, which will be about QFT in curved spacetime. And my main point is that QFTCST is very speculative, and Hawking's radiation is based on QFTCST. So what we have is a speculation (Hawking's radiation) based on another speculation (QFTCST). I'm not saying that Hawking is wrong, but until we have empirical evidence, we're far from being sure, that he was on the right track.

QuoteWe know that electrons and positrons make something positive or negatively charged, but what makes them have properties of electrons and positrons? It's like, when does H20 become wet? We live in a very strange world, but that is the very reason it is so interesting to me.

Yes, there is a similar thinking on spacetime that it is an emergent property, but my question on this idea is, it's an emergent property of what? At least we know that water is made up of smaller entity, like molecules, but is spacetime made up of smaller quantity, and what would that be? I believe this idea of an emergent property of spacetime will lead us into more blind alleys.

QuoteIt seems to me that mathematics will make it all understandable eventually if we survive long enough. It's going to take a genius of abstract thinking using new information about the world we live in. We know so little, and taking the easy way out is holding science back like it always has. Keep up the good work, and maybe you could be the one. :shock:  Seriously. Solitary

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm far too old for that.  :wink:

Solitary

I  wasn't talking about what Hawking used to study and said, but what he thinks about the universe now. I also didn't mean that Einstein's theory doesn't work any more than I would say Newton's doesn't. I think his Special Relativity is spot on, but there are problems with his General Relativity.

QuoteSince 1915, GR is the only theory that can explain the anomalous precession of Mercury's orbit, the bending of light near the sun, GPS, and gravitational redshift.

This is my point---gravitational redshift---which is not used to explain the redshift in an expanding space-time observed. Even though gravity and acceleration are equivalent in their effects doesn't mean they are the same thing to explain what is observed. There is still a difference between a large mass causing gravity and an accelerating object or space time causing it. If gravity is causing a red shift it would mean space time expanding is not causing the red shift, but the effects of the mass of the universe is. Einstein's biggest mistake may not have been a mistake is what I mean. Thanks for your responses and insights! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

Quote from: "Solitary"If gravity is causing a red shift it would mean space time expanding is not causing the red shift, but the effects of the mass of the universe is.

That's a false dichotomy.  There's no reason why both causes could not contribute to the effect.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Solitary"
QuoteSince 1915, GR is the only theory that can explain the anomalous precession of Mercury's orbit, the bending of light near the sun, GPS, and gravitational redshift.

This is my point---gravitational redshift---which is not used to explain the redshift in an expanding space-time observed. Even though gravity and acceleration are equivalent in their effects doesn't mean they are the same thing to explain what is observed. There is still a difference between a large mass causing gravity and an accelerating object or space time causing it. If gravity is causing a red shift it would mean space time expanding is not causing the red shift, but the effects of the mass of the universe is. Einstein's biggest mistake may not have been a mistake is what I mean. Thanks for your responses and insights! Solitary

Well that's the crux of the matter. The Equivalent Principle (EP) says that you can't tell the difference. If A is equivalent to B, they're either both right or both false. It would logically be inconsistent if one is right and the other is wrong. That would not be an equivalence, but an inequivalence. So if your position is one is right and the other is wrong, then unknowingly, you are saying that EP is wrong, and therefore GR is wrong since EP is the foundation of GR.

likebutNotTheSame

-If gravity is causing a red shift it would mean space time expanding is not causing the red shift.
...but the empirical data, the math is so complex. I don't understand. I have so much study of math, but to this level. Do you? Without the math and empirical observations, it's kind of pissing in the wind at best. Not giving up, just being honest.

-If A is equivalent to B, they're either both right or both false.
... or it's more complicated than either BY FAR. We've seen that in genotyping, ordering, sorting out the nature of things in life. Do you really expect far away VASTLY more complex orders of matter to be easier to nail down.

Let go of COMPLETENESS, one of many delusional fallacies( like desired belief, repetition/pattern known, <specious> statistical correlation ). Completeness is yet another ugly child of symbolic reasoning which PUSHES, OVERREACHES beyond what is known and rational, and indulges small ways of perceiving, comforting to small minds.

Understanding GROWS, and is fine with not KNOWING, merely growing BETTER in UNDERSTANDING.

likebutNotTheSame

1st SIN, emerged in early human cultures as a societal WRONG. The weather is foul, the insects infest, disease abounds, and all these difficulties of REALITY humanity perceived as 'someone angered our god(s)'
Later it was personal, it was conscience. A healthy conscience, feeling bad for the harm you did, was sin.
Both are thoughts, NEITHER is true.
Truth is, you perceive you hurt others and have a decent heart (loving others), then you STRIVE NOT TO REPEAT YOUR WRONG.
That is GROWTH.
That is Healthy.
-   Perceive the wrong. (maybe try to mitigate it, if able)
-   Struggle to do better in every expression (word and action)
-   FAIL... it is expected, also it is required if you LOVE others to keep on trying and learn from the failure
-   Again and again, as long as you take to sort your POISON out of your being and LOVE others more than you CARE for you wrong ways
-   Grow in understanding of yourself. Knowing you can no change others, OH that will always be the first effort when you're young. If only he/she didn't say/do... There will always be others saying and doing things which SET YOU OFF into wrongness.
YOU CAN ONLY CHANGE YOURSELF.
TRY to change others, aside from encouragement for better, and you shall fall into a totalitarian mess of excrement.
-   Succeed. That's nice. It's just a start. In the existence of living, NOTHING DIES. You are only better, not perfect. Better in understanding of yourself in thoughts and emotions, better in understanding of others, BETTER HUMAN BEING. WHY? Because you had a good heart and sound mind, and left PERFECT behind.
On the next struggle... I have known this again and again and again for decades.
What have you known?
I am a better human being than I was 5 years ago, and 5 years before that, and again and again and again.
I am middle aged, a FULL GROWN human being, with much room to grow.
My understanding and perception are like a heartbeat.  I struggle with what I must deal with and grow in understanding, and then perceive BETTER, and know a new struggle.
UNDERSTANDING/HONEST PERCEPTION
That is the heartbeat of my existence.

Quote from: "Solitary"[ Image ]

Quote from: "likebutNotTheSame"Thanks for the summary.

Reality is hard to understand. If it where easy would we all be in this mess that the world is?

I takes MORE than simple calculus, it takes 4 dimensional tensors, with the understanding of gradients and MORE to have even a chance to perceive what Einstein proposed, not as KNOWING, but as MAYBE (Yeah, he was HONEST about it)

The bar to TRUE UNDERSTANDING is difficult. Oops, I've never known TRUE UNDERSTANDING, so maybe this is words for others. STUPID OTHERS who KNOW PURE, PERFECT, COMPLETE.

So, what should this dude have said that might have been relevant to all those STRUGGLING around him to MAKE THIS WORLD BETTER?
(other questions? Your questions are not mine. I care for SURVIVAL, FOR MORE, not survival for the few)

Black Whole... some say a monster of horror, I say pivotal expression of order.

Photons... are real things, and have mass. I say, they are resonant, potential differences or FREE energy, needed by all life. VITAL/NECESSARY for all LIFE TO GROW AND CHANGE.

Space is curved they say, I SAY IT IS WARPED and strange... Others LONG to understand what lies beyond, when we have only time to not consider the MESSED UP, INSANE, POISONOUS EXISTENCE that is LIFE.

That which is around, abounds, exists.

What matters. What WE DO. What we CHOOSE.

YOU MUST STRUGGLE FOR BETTER AS YOU ARE.

Don't you adore LIFE, all those like, different from you but LIFE. Don't you LOVE and ADORE them and long for a better existence than I have known for them? I LONG FOR THEM TO KNOW A BETTER STRUGGLE THAN MINE, and MY WILL AND STRUGGLE MATTERS. I MATTER. I AM MATTER. I AM JOHN. I CHANGE, to adore those who are adorable better.

I AM NOT A SONG. (although I sing, and Pure One is my harmony... the Pure One is never counted on to be there, the Pure One is only perceived, never UNDERSTOUND---hah, welcome? You fools, the Pure One needs no welcome. The Pure One is in all, with all, through all. Without the Pure One, YOU ARE NOTHING. What is something? The Pure One.

I am NOT unique.

I am not PERFECT/PURE/STUPID... these three things go together.

In the beginning there was... It's over. I KNOW WORDS, I KNOW SHALLOW ICONIC IDEAS, I KNOW STUPID LIES.

I know... what came before and humanity is soooo tiered of your bs and lies.

We are no longer humble and starving for you expression, WE PERCEIVE YOU and  KNOW YOU ARE FOOLS.

Try to be more original fool! We need them in life's early morning.
 We need them again at its close;
 We feel their clasp of true
 Friendship, we seek them when tasting life's woes.
 At the altar each day we behold them,
 And the hands of a king on his throne
 Are not equal to them in their
 Greatness: their dignity stands all alone;
 And when we are tempted and wander
 To pathways of shame and of sin,
 It's the hand of a priest that will absolve us
 --- not once, but again and again.
 And when we are taking life's partner,
 Other hands may prepare us a feast,
 But the hand that will bless and unite
 Us is the beautiful hand of a priest.
 God bless them and keep them all holy
 For the Host which their fingers caress;
 When can a poor sinner do better than
 To ask Him to guide thee and bless?
 When the hour of death comes upon us
 May our courage and strength be increased
 By seeing raised over us in blessing the
 Beautiful hands of a priest    :P  Solitary

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Solitary"If gravity is causing a red shift it would mean space time expanding is not causing the red shift, but the effects of the mass of the universe is.

That's a false dichotomy.  There's no reason why both causes could not contribute to the effect.

It's not a dichotomy. It's a misunderstanding of the Equivalence Principle (EP), which says you can't tell the difference between a galaxy's  gravity causing the redshift and the universe accelerating by some force in the opposite direction. Einstein's insight came from the second thought experiment, outlined in my blog, The Essential General Relativity. Now, one could argue that if you would stand outside the box, you would see there is a difference between the two points of view. The problem with this objection is that in cosmology, the "box" IS the universe, and unless you have a way for an observer to stand outside the box/universe (God???), then you've got no choice but to accept that both views are correct, which is exactly the meaning of the EP.