News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What Don't You Believe In?

Started by Hijiri Byakuren, January 22, 2014, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I don't believe household clothing appliances *just* eat random socks. It's a conspiracy.

This is just preposterous.  It's well documented that socks go missing.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

frosty

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I don't believe household clothing appliances *just* eat random socks. It's a conspiracy.

I don't believe two toothbrushes immediately following an H & E are entirely innocent.

[youtube:3cgv48as]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ-Z2aq-UR8[/youtube:3cgv48as]

darsenfeld

Er..well:

- Religion and/or God
- Liberal democracy (though I like voting in elections and believe in equal rights)
-
consistency is for dopes....

Solitary

Quote from: "darsenfeld"Er..well:

- Religion and/or God
- Liberal democracy (though I like voting in elections and believe in equal rights)
-

Does this mean you believe in a conservative government in which the supreme power is held by the people represented by a Conservative administration that has worked so good in the past?  Equal rights for who? :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

darsenfeld

No, liberal democracy doesn't work.  And equal rights for all humans, period.

Jmpty

???  ??

Jmpty

???  ??

the2ndcominofjebus

1) christ-insanity
2) mormonism lol
3) jehovah witnessity lol
4) Islam
5) Nothing manifesting itself into everything lol
"If god doesn\'t like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."

"Give a man a fish, and you\'ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he\'ll starve to death while praying for a fish."

wolf39us

Quote from: "Jason78"

[attachment=0:3mziiohi]Counterspell.PNG[/attachment:3mziiohi]

Rex Rgis Verum

I figure deities are a given on this site, so I won't include them in my list.

1. The Afterlife - Death wouldn't actually be death. There is no evidence to conclude that there is some kind of force inside our brains that allows our conscious to exist beyond death. I guess you can lump souls in with this one.
2. Absolute Peace - Human nature will never allow this. As long as there are scarce resources, there will be war.
3. Fate - Nothing happens for a reason. Everything that happens comes down to chance. The universe is organized chaos.
4. Institutionalized Justice - Everyone's concept of what justice should be is different, so it's unfair to have a one-size-fits-all justice system based on the beliefs of few. I guess I have anarchist views?
5. Power - Something only has power because people believe it does. For instance, if Romans (this also extends to the Roman military) didn't believe Constantine had power as emperor, he would have been a nobody. You can also apply this to currency. Currencies have no value in and of themselves; they only have a certain value because people believe they have value.
Why anyone would desire eternal life is beyond me. There's no fun in forever.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "darsenfeld"Er..well:

- Religion and/or God
-

Does this mean you believe in a conservative government in which the supreme power is held by the people represented by a Conservative administration that has worked so good in the past?  Equal rights for who? :roll:  Solitary

er.. US conservatives are mentally ill...   And?  Are you one of them?

darsenfeld

Also:

- 12 Years a slave made me think (I won't see it, I hate negative imagery).  There was little wrong in slavery, as it was cruel, humans are cruel, and yes early modern Europeans valued universal compassion, eh?   I don't believe slavery was wrong...

- In honour of International Women's Day, I don't believe in gender discrimination anywhere.  If anything, as it's a UN-sponsored occasion, all UN member states should sign an agreement in which they agree to outlaw gender discrimination.

- That the USA is the greatest country ever.  Compared to other major powers in history, it's effect on global civlisation is slight (well yeah, the Greeks gave us philosophy, the Romans gave us infrastructure, legal systems, language, etc..) but America hasn't spread its language, technology or culture to any other country, bar ICT perhaps or Nicki Minaj and KFC...

Rex Rgis Verum

Quote from: "darsenfeld"- That the USA is the greatest country ever.  Compared to other major powers in history, it's effect on global civlisation is slight (well yeah, the Greeks gave us philosophy, the Romans gave us infrastructure, legal systems, language, etc..) but America hasn't spread its language, technology or culture to any other country, bar ICT perhaps or Nicki Minaj and KFC...

Agree with the first part. The United States has it's ups and downs just as every country does (finally seeing that now that I'm living in another country). The United States is better in terms of convenience, but European countries seem happier and enjoy life more.

Don't agree with the second part. America has the biggest influence of any country on Earth right now. Hollywood (and you can extend this to the American entertainment industry in general), major international corporations, military, international policy, and some inventions such as the computer, the Internet, Windows, Mac OS, the airplane, the artificial heart, television, the refrigerator, and even zippers. That's culture and technology. And yes, I agree that the USA isn't really spreading English, but it is maintaining its status as the lingua franca of the world. If the USSR had won the Cold War, Russian may have eventually become the dominant language of the world.
Whether American government will profoundly influence the way future governments are established just as the Greeks and the Romans have is yet to be seen and we won't be able to make an accurate conclusion for another 500-1000 years.

Also you appear to have a very Euro-centric view on the world. What about the contributions of the people of Mesopotamia, the Egyptians, the Indians, and the Chinese?
Why anyone would desire eternal life is beyond me. There's no fun in forever.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jason78"

If you'd talk to Susskind, it might be a wormhole connected to a black hole. Either that, or it's Polchinski's firewall. In any event, your socks are done.

darsenfeld

Quote from: "Rex Rgis Verum"
Quote from: "darsenfeld"- That the USA is the greatest country ever.  Compared to other major powers in history, it's effect on global civlisation is slight (well yeah, the Greeks gave us philosophy, the Romans gave us infrastructure, legal systems, language, etc..) but America hasn't spread its language, technology or culture to any other country, bar ICT perhaps or Nicki Minaj and KFC...

Agree with the first part. The United States has it's ups and downs just as every country does (finally seeing that now that I'm living in another country). The United States is better in terms of convenience, but European countries seem happier and enjoy life more.

Don't agree with the second part. America has the biggest influence of any country on Earth right now. Hollywood (and you can extend this to the American entertainment industry in general), major international corporations, military, international policy, and some inventions such as the computer, the Internet, Windows, Mac OS, the airplane, the artificial heart, television, the refrigerator, and even zippers. That's culture and technology. And yes, I agree that the USA isn't really spreading English, but it is maintaining its status as the lingua franca of the world. If the USSR had won the Cold War, Russian may have eventually become the dominant language of the world.
Whether American government will profoundly influence the way future governments are established just as the Greeks and the Romans have is yet to be seen and we won't be able to make an accurate conclusion for another 500-1000 years.

Also you appear to have a very Euro-centric view on the world. What about the contributions of the people of Mesopotamia, the Egyptians, the Indians, and the Chinese?

I mentioned ICT and you mentioned it again?

And those were some examples...it's you can absolutely know the intent of others, even though number systems, gunpowder and the firearm, and algorithms, were not Western inventions....