News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What Do You Believe In?

Started by SGOS, January 20, 2014, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Sometimes a simple, "I'm a baby eating godless heathen and don't believe in shit!" works. I just won't get into these silly debates with them because nothing I can tell them will satisfy the insane craving they have to try to pin me down to the ultimate goal of 'but what IF...?'.. Sorry godbrothers n sistahs.. I'm not biting.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

I believe that two hands working for change is better than any amount of hands praying.

I believe that curiosity, tempered with science and a sense of humanity lead the way to a better world.

I believe that we can make heaven or hell on Earth depending on our choices.

I believe that we have a duty to our species to expose and rebuke those who hurt others for personal gain.

Why, when I believe this, do I need a god to control my life? Why would I need or want a god that tells me to be content with the way the world is? A god who would instruct me to never question things?
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Atheon

I believe I'll have another beer.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

I believe I'm ready for summertime. I believe winter, though necessary still sucks. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jason78

[youtube:2z1uxtzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRYNYb30nxU[/youtube:2z1uxtzs]

I think I've done this joke already...
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: "Atheon"I believe I'll have another beer.
I believe you will.

Sal1981

I'd probably say something along the lines of: "I believe in lots of stuff. Any stuff I have to take as working as it should, without specifically knowing how it works, I must take on faith that it works."

Or maybe: "I believe in the goodness of people, that people are essentially good and well-meaning."

Of course, what I really mean with such an exchange is that I have expectations that something I don't know extensively about to work as expected. And a specific, rather empty, proposition about the behavior of people.

This really renders the word "belief" useless though. What do people even mean when they say that they "believe" in something, or that they have "faith"?

Aren't both those terms merely placeholders for ignorance?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "SGOS"I'm watching a show where a Catholic nun is interviewing a man.  The exchange goes like so:

Are you a Catholic?
No.
Protestant?
No.
Jewish then?
No.
Muslim?
No.
Well, what do you believe in then?

I'm Humanist.

One reason I prefer saying I'm Humanist as opposed to atheist is because it describes what I do believe rather than what I don't.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "SGOS""Well, what do you believe in then?
Nothing really."

There are a lot of people who believe in belief, and don't necessarily think about the content of their local belief system.  Let's face it - religion is as much about geography as anything else.  You can bet your ass that the fire-breathing Christian fundie preacher would be an Imam if they had been born in Yemen or suchlike... and vice versa.

SGOS

Quote from: "Sal1981"I'd probably say something along the lines of: "I believe in lots of stuff. Any stuff I have to take as working as it should, without specifically knowing how it works, I must take on faith that it works."

Or maybe: "I believe in the goodness of people, that people are essentially good and well-meaning."

Of course, what I really mean with such an exchange is that I have expectations that something I don't know extensively about to work as expected. And a specific, rather empty, proposition about the behavior of people.

This really renders the word "belief" useless though. What do people even mean when they say that they "believe" in something, or that they have "faith"?

Aren't both those terms merely placeholders for ignorance?
They are, but in common written or spoken communication "I believe" is often (perhaps usually) an honest reporting of what a person believes, with or without evidence.  This does not have to address what a person knows, nor is it a seal of truth because, well, it's a belief.  Faith takes it a step further.  It's admission of lack of evidence.  Here, the ice is much thinner than belief based on evidence.

I see the difference as one of legitimate or logical "rights to confidence".  It's the difference between a more scientific thought process and religious thinking.  In science, even with high levels of confidence, there is the possibility of change (that's built into the philosophy).  Not so much in religion.  At least religion has a track record of being much more resistant to change.  It does, but it seems to be based more on the overall popularity of an issue, rather than on overwhelming evidence.  It's almost as if when religion finally "gets it right", it's still based on a fallacy.  At least is appears that way to me.

That brings up "knowing".  "Knowing" means different things to different people.  I think what it usually means is "I know what I've learned."  It's not necessarily a seal of truth.

This all off the top of my head as it relates to the topic.  It's not written in stone, but more of a first reflection on my part.

SGOS

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"I'm Humanist.

One reason I prefer saying I'm Humanist as opposed to atheist is because it describes what I do believe rather than what I don't.
I am too.  It's a philosophy, and as such, is distantly related some aspects of religion, with the major difference that you haven't gone off the deep end.  :-D

SGOS

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "SGOS""Well, what do you believe in then?
Nothing really."

There are a lot of people who believe in belief, and don't necessarily think about the content of their local belief system.  Let's face it - religion is as much about geography as anything else.  You can bet your ass that the fire-breathing Christian fundie preacher would be an Imam if they had been born in Yemen or suchlike... and vice versa.
I agree.  That's a good way to phrase it.

josephpalazzo

Not that I want to be a contrarian but shouldn't there be a thread entitled What Don't You Believe In? :twisted:

SGOS

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Not that I want to be a contrarian but shouldn't there be a thread entitled What Don't You Believe In? :twisted:
Build one, and they will come.

Thumpalumpacus

I believe that people are free to define their own lives without reference to woo, or appeal to supernatural authority.
<insert witty aphorism here>