More on Utah Lawsuit Over Gay Marriage

Started by SGOS, January 22, 2014, 07:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I know there is a thread about this somewhere, but I didn't find it.  From today's headlines:

QuoteSALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The American Civil Liberties Union has sued the state of Utah over the issue of gay marriage, saying the official decision to stop granting benefits for newly married same-sex couples has created wrenching uncertainty.

"They've put a giant question mark over the lives of all these people that have married," said John Mejia, legal director for the ACLU in Utah.

After the ban on same sex marriage was overturned, Utah says, "Gays can be married, but we are not going to give them the same rights as opposite sex marriages."  What the courts had struck down as discriminatory, Utah has responded to by being even more openly discriminatory.  At least it seems to me.

Not that it surprises me.  Utah, as well as other states, will hang on by their homophobic fingernails until the bitter end when they are finally forced to accept that opposite sex marriages have been ruined, and there's no more hope for opposite sex marriage.

I keep remembering from a year ago, this conversation I had with a guy who insists that gays are not discriminated against.

stromboli

Its worse than that. The attitude of the governor in the news conference was openly hostile, like, "how DARE they?" We have a fair number of gay people that live here and a lot more that come here for skiing. And it gets more complicated because the recently deposed Attorney General, who is being investigated for bribery and other stuff, was replaced by a younger, more up to speed Hispanic guy that said in effect that "well, the law was written in 2004, and shit has changed" which earned him no bonus points.

I'm pretty certain the law will be overturned or disallowed by SCOTUS because of Prop 8 and previous decisions. But this is what happens when you live in a state run by meat brains called Mormons. It's kind of like a bunch of farmers studiously sandbagging against an inevitable Tsunami, and stubbornly believing they can build the wall high enough to keep out the ocean. Pathetic.

SGOS

Quote from: "stromboli"It's kind of like a bunch of farmers studiously sandbagging against an inevitable Tsunami, and stubbornly believing they can build the wall high enough to keep out the ocean. Pathetic.
And bizarre.  It's like something from Alice in Wonderland.

stromboli

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "stromboli"It's kind of like a bunch of farmers studiously sandbagging against an inevitable Tsunami, and stubbornly believing they can build the wall high enough to keep out the ocean. Pathetic.
And bizarre.  It's like something from Alice in Wonderland.

Living here is an experience, trust me.