15 ways atheists can stand up for rationality

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, January 13, 2014, 03:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Well written even if it's been said time and time again on this and other sites. If you're kind of new to atheism then it's a must read for you and by the way...feel free to share it.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/11/15_ways ... tionality/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

jumper

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over different political views and beliefs about the afterlife"

Thanks for posting the link, I already don't so grace but I closed my eyes at my aunts funeral, that was the one exception

Other than that; I barely ever eat at a table much less say grace 0.o
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

I admit anymore I just look at em with my patented,  'You're outta your fuckin mind' look.. ineed to get back in practice.  :-k

stromboli

Thank you. I'm also looking for the "50 ways to leave your lover" list.

AllPurposeAtheist

Dunno about that, but did hear about the 50 ways to leave your rubber.. Just give it a smack Jack, Toss it in a fan Stan..Leave it on the bus Gus...etc.. :lol:

Thumpalumpacus

It's hard to get worked up by this.  Not all of it is in my personal interest, and not all of it is about putting forth rationality.

It reads like a young atheist who has just discovered some arguments supporting what he already feels.  Good for what it is, but what it is is essentially rehash.
<insert witty aphorism here>

barbarian

I finally got a chance to read this. I really hope that his article can help the "New Atheist" out in some aspects of there life as they loose their religion. I really do not care for where the "New Atheist" concept is going as it is almost as if it is going back to a congregational church style religion that is cropping up from it.

:-k I think I will stay with the old atheist theme of things and opt out of this style of atheism, but it is a good article and a good read.

GSOgymrat

"I don't say grace because I'm an atheist and I have a moral obligation to the children to protest this irrational behavior!"

Seriously? :roll: Just eat an appetizer and wait for it to be over.

If one must comment let it be something breezy like "If we're through speaking in tongues, can someone please pass the potatoes."

Indiscriminalist

Thanks, I shared it on FB, and now, like the Broncos' chances of winning this Super Bowl, I expect to be dead by morning. :Hangman:
What if you're wrong about the great juju at the bottom of the sea?

aitm

They can put MitchellDaBomb on stage and make the case pretty simple as to the dangers of irrationality.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sal1981

I thoroughly enjoyed that article, some of the patients here seem to suffer from what I suspect is religiously caused mental illness.

There is one middle-aged lady that has repeatedly asked me to accompany her on a church service, but so far I have dodged her religious questions because I don't want to upset her. With other persons like her here I have remained neutral.

I don't want to "proselytize" my atheism, merely affirm my right to express my POV, like I respect anyone else's right to believe what ever they want to believe.

Sonwinks

Great article...thanks for sharing....
Personally I don't understand how 'heaven' is a reward??....
I could honestly think of nothing worse than....knowing everything...and living for ever! With the same people!! All the time!... I would literally go insane!
I don't think Christians actually think about that...when they say ....'but you won't go to heaven if you don't believe'..... They've never really thought about it.....the for ever and ever and ever.....