Why we think there’s a Multiverse, not just our Universe

Started by josephpalazzo, January 12, 2014, 12:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

AllPurposeAtheist

Then there may be multiple Sheldon Coopers out there and if that's true then since I'm real there HAS TO be multiple me's! YES!

Crap..that also means  I'm not unique.  #-o
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Good post. Still don't completely understand it, but the thought of me somewhere as Han Solo is cool.  :-D

Solitary

I'm perplexed because if the universe is expanding and things are getting farther apart and we are looking back in time, how is it that everything was closer then? This is a contradiction.  :-s   :-k  :-?  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

I like to think of the big Bang as a cosmic coming out of the closet. The universe is GAY!  :-D

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "stromboli"I like to think of the big Bang as a cosmic coming out of the closet. The universe is GAY!  :-D
Wow..you ARE strange aren't you?  8-[

Thumpalumpacus

I remember recently reading an article stating that evidence may have been found for multiverse theory by astronomers examining variations in the microwave background.
<insert witty aphorism here>

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Solitary"I'm perplexed because if the universe is expanding and things are getting farther apart and we are looking back in time, how is it that everything was closer then? This is a contradiction.  :-s   :-k  :-?  Solitary

No contradiction.

AllPurposeAtheist

I know we've come a long way since the hand held calculator,  but I'm not sure I'm ready for multiverse travel. I looked on Google maps and it seems stuck on earth. Ya never know though...AAA will surely give me a free multiverse map.  8-)

Solitary

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Solitary"I'm perplexed because if the universe is expanding and things are getting farther apart and we are looking back in time, how is it that everything was closer then? This is a contradiction.  :-s   :-k  :-?  Solitary

No contradiction.

[ Image ]

Yes it is a contradiction as your diagram shows, as you go backward in time in the diagram the galaxies get closer together until the hot and dense fireball, not farther apart. When we look farther out in the universe you are going backwards in time, and yet as your diagram shows the galaxies are getting farther apart now, not closer as your diagram shows. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"

No contradiction.

[ Image ]

Yes it is a contradiction as your diagram shows, as you go backward in time in the diagram the galaxies get closer together until the hot and dense fireball, not farther apart. When we look farther out in the universe you are going backwards in time, and yet as your diagram shows the galaxies are getting farther apart now, not closer as your diagram shows. Solitary

When we look at the galaxies, we can only look back into the past, never forward. So the last diagram, labelled future, is not something we can see at the moment, but something that will be in the future. The logic tells us that if in the past the galaxies were closer, then in the future, they will be further apart. So the last diagram, labelled future, is a prediction of the theory, not an observation. That the galaxies were closer in the past is based on Hubble's law, and there is overwhelming evidence for that law.