Scientists find a practical test for string theory

Started by josephpalazzo, January 09, 2014, 10:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Or how a science website can be so misleading. Yes, I'm posting this in the Physics & Cosmology but really it should be how bad phys.org is. The article in question has little to do with String Theory. If found, that is, Einstein Equivalence Principle is violated, it would be GR that would be placed on the block. The chance this will turn out to be true is smaller than you winning the Powerball Jackpot.

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-scientists-theory.html

Brian37

In other news kittens have mastered twine theory.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Brian37"In other news kittens have mastered twine theory.
Bullshit..kittens know next to nothing of twine theory. It's yarn theory where kittens have a complete lock on such learned things..  [-X
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

So where are the results of their test?  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Brian37

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Bullshit..kittens know next to nothing of twine theory. It's yarn theory where kittens have a complete lock on such learned things..  [-X

Just the argument I'd expect from a creationist. And to think I thought highly of you.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Brian37"

Just the argument I'd expect from a creationist. And to think I thought highly of you.

Creationists don't have arguments; they have THE answers.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Solitary"So where are the results of their test?  :roll:  Solitary

As the article says, there are three possible signatures of equivalence principle violation in the solar system:

(1) departures from Kepler's Third Law of planetary motion;
(2) drift of the stable Lagrange points;
(3) and orbital polarization (also known as the Nordtvedt effect), whereby the distance between two bodies like the Earth and Moon oscillates due to differences in acceleration toward a third body like the Sun.

Note: none were ever observed. But it feeds into the mindset that science can all be wrong, therefore the bible is right. :twisted:

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Brian37"

When did I imply there was some sort of yarn god? Twine devil perhaps, but no yarn god.. [-X
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Jason78

What you need is a comprehensive theory that covers both yarn and twine.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Jason78"

What you need is a comprehensive theory that covers both yarn and twine.

It's called the ToE.  :P

mykcob4

As far as I can tell twine and yarn theories are quite the same with some small distintive differences. A ball of twine and a ball of yarn fall off of the table at the same rate no matter their size. A kitten will lose interest in a ball of twine much faster than a ball of yarn and that still remains unexplained. For some reason Asian breeds of kittens find it entirely necessary to sneak attack twine but will overtly attack a ball of yarn. Still another unexplained fact. Wild kittens have no knowledge of twine OR yarn and tend to fear them if they are presented to them. This was found out after only two test because in the third test the tester was eaten by the wild kittens mother lioness.
In a completely independent study where kittens of various breeds from various continents were tested to see which they prefered...the ball of twine or the ball of yarn, 100 % chose the ball of twine. The study was later discounted as it was dicovered that the test administrator's dog had marked the ball of yarn with urine.
It's hard to say if twine theory or yarn theory will prevail and the competive groups that support each side are committed to proving that their prefered theory is best. It's easy to say that the kittens will not cooperate because no one has cracked the code of kittens. There is some hope on the horizon for cracking the kitten code. Right now a continous field operation study is taking place in a remote part of Detroit. They are hidden in a fake utility work van filming and watching a homeless lady known as the "cat woman" who seems to be able to communicate to dozens of ferrel cats and kittens.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "mykcob4"As far as I can tell twine and yarn theories are quite the same with some small distintive differences. A ball of twine and a ball of yarn fall off of the table at the same rate no matter their size. A kitten will lose interest in a ball of twine much faster than a ball of yarn and that still remains unexplained. For some reason Asian breeds of kittens find it entirely necessary to sneak attack twine but will overtly attack a ball of yarn. Still another unexplained fact. Wild kittens have no knowledge of twine OR yarn and tend to fear them if they are presented to them. This was found out after only two test because in the third test the tester was eaten by the wild kittens mother lioness.
In a completely independent study where kittens of various breeds from various continents were tested to see which they prefered...the ball of twine or the ball of yarn, 100 % chose the ball of twine. The study was later discounted as it was dicovered that the test administrator's dog had marked the ball of yarn with urine.
It's hard to say if twine theory or yarn theory will prevail and the competive groups that support each side are committed to proving that their prefered theory is best. It's easy to say that the kittens will not cooperate because no one has cracked the code of kittens. There is some hope on the horizon for cracking the kitten code. Right now a continous field operation study is taking place in a remote part of Detroit. They are hidden in a fake utility work van filming and watching a homeless lady known as the "cat woman" who seems to be able to communicate to dozens of ferrel cats and kittens.

This theory was resolved by the twine-yarn duality in which the Complimentary Principle played a significant role in the Spontaneous Symmetry Breaking of the wool. Later on, it was shown due to Lorentz Invariance and Gauge fixing, along with the Renormalization Group that the two theories are linked by a duality deeper than the original one, which has prompted some to advance the notion of a theory in a higher dimension, all that confirmed by the Holographic Principle, which states that a theory of twine in d-dimensions can be described by a yarn theory in d-1 dimensions. This by all accounts is the most profound statement ever made in the history of physics linking the two theories in the most unexpected way.

Jason78

So...   hypothetically, what would happen if you put a kitten in a box with a ball of wool and sealed it?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

String theory is an interesting, although a somewhat weird sounding concept.  Beyond that I don't have much to add.  I'm still waiting for more evidence.