Battlestar Galactica's Premise is Stupid

Started by zarus tathra, January 08, 2014, 11:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"Like many people, I didn't necessarily like every direction the plots went.  I for one didn't like how the Cylons stopped being the machines who "have a plan" and turned into the machines who "didn't have a clue".  We were told in the opening credits for years they "have a plan".  But as the show progressed, we find the Cylons didn't even know why they were trying to kill off the humans, or what they were going to do if and when they were successful. I didn't like that plot path at all.
This.  A thousand times this.

QuoteEven so, it was generally extremely well acted, and many individual episodes were spectacular.  Very very dark.  I enjoyed that part.
Me too.  I loved how even seemingly innocuous scenes a put into a totally different light after the show's many big reveals.

[spoil:2uofdgic]Like the scene where Galen Tyrol is talking to Brother Cavil and says that he thinks he might be a Cylon.  It's hilarious in hindsight![/spoil:2uofdgic]

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"We were told in the opening credits for years they "have a plan".
According to the DVD commentaries, that was due to executive meddling. The show creators didn't originally intend something like that, and in fact the entire reason they made the TV movie "The Plan" was to retcon one in so that fans would quit complaining.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

josephpalazzo

Not a fan of BG, but did they ever have an epi on the Holy Grail? I mean, you just can't have a motivated religious TV series which doesn't have an epi on the Holy Grail, or can you?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Not a fan of BG, but did they ever have an epi on the Holy Grail? I mean, you just can't have a motivated religious TV series which doesn't have an epi on the Holy Grail, or can you?
Well no, it takes place about a hundred thousand years before Christ. :P

zarus tathra

I agree that BG was a brilliant execution of a very flawed premise. It's a great military simulation in space, and it's a terrible story.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Not a fan of BG, but did they ever have an epi on the Holy Grail? I mean, you just can't have a motivated religious TV series which doesn't have an epi on the Holy Grail, or can you?
Well no, it takes place about a hundred thousand years before Christ. :P

And whatever happened to the earth being only 6,000 years old?!??! :-k

Youssuf Ramadan

I remember seeing the first film when I was a small laddie.  I knew I wanted to do something with Serena the newscaster, but it wasn't til a couple of years later that I realised what.   8-)

Insult to Rocks

Well, from reading the posts, it appears Battlestar is definitely not my cup of tea. Darn. :cry:
Does anyone have any suggestions for good sci-fi TV shows other than star trek?
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Well, from reading the posts, it appears Battlestar is definitely not my cup of tea. Darn. :cry:
If you can get through its awful first season, Babylon 5 is a pretty good one. (Not as bad as TNG's first season, but that's not saying much.)

Mister Agenda

I enjoyed the episodes, but the series didn't hold my attention.

It was interesting that the humans were mostly Greek polytheists and the Cylons were monotheists.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Hydra009

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "Insult to Rocks"Well, from reading the posts, it appears Battlestar is definitely not my cup of tea. Darn. :cry:
If you can get through its awful first season, Babylon 5 is a pretty good one. (Not as bad as TNG's first season, but that's not saying much.)
+1

Also, Farscape is one of those shows that sorta went under the radar but was actually pretty good.

[youtube:6uit7cnx]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-jOitRWWgw[/youtube:6uit7cnx]

stromboli

Obviously Firefly, but it was canceled after like 14 episodes. Joss Whedon vehicle. Dude is an awesome writer/producer.

Babylon 5 had some good points, mostly that it was very consistent with its storyline. Michael Strazynski wrote most of the stories, but Neil Gaiman and Harlan Ellison also contributed, so the writing was solid.
The problem with me is I'm more into action versus situational themes. I like Rugby, not chess. Babylon was always dealing with issues like religion and race and social acceptance, but it did have some novel alien types.

Insult to Rocks

Thanks. I think the problem is that Mass Effect kinda spoiled me on sci-fi for a while.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

zarus tathra

BSG is basically neoconservative propaganda. The State is holy, except when it doesn't serve a racial/religious agenda. Cultural social engineering somehow takes precedence over the development of weaponry that can actually DEFEAT the enemy. The society's democratic, except it's not. Great pains are taken to ensure that it LOOKS democratic, though. Regardless, the state is always supposed to hold a monopoly on violence. Also, God/Zionism. Also, OMG TERRORISM WE'RE IN SPACE AND THE SHIPS ARE BASICALLY CLOSED SYSTEMS BUT SOMEHOW TERRORISM IS A THING
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Rajhoul

If you think BSG's premise is bad now watch it until the end, especially with that that whole Starbuck as ghost/angel and Hera, a human cylon being mitochondrial eve.

Fucking retarded.