90-Pound Schizophrenic Subdued, Killed by Cops

Started by Shiranu, January 08, 2014, 04:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

[youtube:8pmn7tcp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH3JiUig53o[/youtube:8pmn7tcp]

As is pointed out in the video, it is always possible the cops are telling the truth in that they shot him in self defense. Here is the thing... they had already tazed him (so an officer had a taser on hand), there were multiple officers around him and he is 90 fucking pounds (not some 230 lb weight lifting machine). There seems there should have been less fatal ways to take him out ASSUMING they are telling the truth.

Also, as is mentioned, a few years ago it was shocking news when an officer tased a person... now it is common news when a teenager is shot and killed by police.

American police; get your shit together, this isn't China.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

No matter what, this is ridiculous because the cop didn't have time for this. I was a band camp councilor and had a kid with a butcher knife threatening other kids that were teasing him. It was very easy for me to avoid getting stabbed and take the knife away from him. I only weighed 149lbs at the time. After this kid had the screwdriver taken away he was shot when he got violent again? Give me a break! That cop should be charged with murder. This is not the first time I heard of a wimpy cop doing this because he is a coward with a gun. I saw a little police woman put hand cuffs on a 200lb+ man that was resisting arrest by knowing how to do it. Do police even get profiled for their character and trained on what to do anymore beside how to shoot a gun?  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Sal1981

Around here, police academy is very strict and drop out rate is like 70%, not because of the training, but because people fail the psychological profiling - where they have to take courses and "treatment" from a counselor to be considered for police officer.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"Writer posted a YouTube video

As is pointed out in the video, it is always possible the cops are telling the truth in that they shot him in self defense. Here is the thing... they had already tazed him (so an officer had a taser on hand), there were multiple officers around him and he is 90 fucking pounds (not some 230 lb weight lifting machine). There seems there should have been less fatal ways to take him out ASSUMING they are telling the truth.

Also, as is mentioned, a few years ago it was shocking news when an officer tased a person... now it is common news when a teenager is shot and killed by police.

American police; get your shit together, this isn't China.
It reminds me of when I lived in Houston years ago and a 78 YO woman was acting out on the street and she had a butter knife. 1/2 a dozen cop cars responded, surrounded her, and from their cars they tried to talk her down so to speack. She started toward one of the cop cars and the whole gang shot her. Later it was found out that her son had just died (in hospital) and she was distraught. Nothing, I mean nothing was done. That was about 15 years ago.
The police don't need to use deadly force in almost every case. I like the idea of cops not having guns at all and when a gun is needed they call specifically for armed response (specially trained individuals, not just with their weapons but also with when to use those weapons.) Both the UK and Japan do this and it works well.

AllPurposeAtheist

Nothing new here. This is old hat, police overstepping authority.  It isn't the first nor last indictment of police brutality because face it...everyone needs a fucking gun for every situation from crime to bathroom breaks.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Let's just take a moment to appreciate how manly our police forces have become. Bravely shooting Chihuahuas and 90 pound teenagers who have already been subdued, great job guys.

Wait, did I say "manly"? I meant the exact opposite of that.

When you have pepper spray, a taser, and a weight advantage over a person armed with a small screwdriver pulling your gun out should be the absolute last thing you do. I wouldn't care if the kid lunged right at the cop in question, he has a fucking taser, the kid has a screwdriver. If he had enough time to pull out and fire his gun he had enough time to do the same with his taser. Fucking ridiculous is what it is.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

mykcob4

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Let's just take a moment to appreciate how manly our police forces have become. Bravely shooting Chihuahuas and 90 pound teenagers who have already been subdued, great job guys.

When you have pepper spray, a taser, and a weight advantage over a person armed with a small screwdriver pulling your gun out should be the absolute last thing you do. I wouldn't care if the kid lunged right at the cop in question, he has a fucking taser, the kid has a screwdriver. If he had enough time to pull out and fire his gun he had enough time to do the same with his taser. Fucking ridiculous is what it is.
The thing is that a scewdriver doesn't have a sharp edge. I could teach anyone, and I mean anyone that has the basic function of their body to take away a screw driver from the strongest and biggest of people. It isn't that hard and it takes virtually no strentgh.

billhilly

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Let's just take a moment to appreciate how manly our police forces have become. Bravely shooting Chihuahuas and 90 pound teenagers who have already been subdued, great job guys.

The thing is that a scewdriver doesn't have a sharp edge. I could teach anyone, and I mean anyone that has the basic function of their body to take away a screw driver from the strongest and biggest of people. It isn't that hard and it takes virtually no strentgh.

I hear you mykcob4.  Thing is that they don't fuckin care.  You and I have had training from the military to deal with this kind of situation without causing an international crisis.  Cops are taught that any threat is to be responded to with enough force to  terminate the "threat" no matter how small.  Never mind that cops are safer now that they have been since the 19th century.  It's all about officer safety.

mykcob4

Quote from: "billhilly"
Quote from: "mykcob4"

I hear you mykcob4.  Thing is that they don't fuckin care.  You and I have had training from the military to deal with this kind of situation without causing an international crisis.  Cops are taught that any threat is to be responded to with enough force to  terminate the "threat" no matter how small.  Never mind that cops are safer now that they have been since the 19th century.  It's all about officer safety.
I know right. A convenience store worker is 100 times more likely to be hurt or killed in the line of work than any cop in America and that includes cops in high crime areas.

billhilly

Fwiw, Radley Balko is now a columnist with the Washington post and is all over these type of issues.  He was most recently with Huffpo and before that with Reason and Cato.  He's coming at it from a libertarian POV but is right on with his research.