I just figured out the basic religion of all empires

Started by zarus tathra, January 07, 2014, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

The basic religion is power by proxy. That is, "The empire is strong, therefore you are strong. The leader is strong, therefore you are strong. The army is strong, therefore you are strong." This is true regardless of whether the empire is "democratic" or "monarchic" or "theocratic." It's also the basic pattern of all religions. You are weak, but God is Strong, and he will take care of you.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

AllPurposeAtheist

You just now figuring that one out are ya? Well, at least you're progressing.  That's a good thing.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

zarus tathra

Hahaha. Did I give any indications that I still held to this religion?

This is why every empire crumbles, because the "building blocks" end up becoming so weak that no structure, no matter how well designed, can make use of them.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Solitary

Might is right, even if it isn't in the idealist's mind, who think realists are pessimists. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

zarus tathra

This is a specific kind of might, though, an illusory, symbolic kind of might. Think of superhero comics, or the muscle cuirass, or Hitler worship. It doesn't really matter how many people a Caesar has behind him, he's still nothing more than a man. He's only "big" because people say he's big. Even Batman in the Nolan movies acknowledges that his primary weapons are theatricality and deception.

Sal1981

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"You just now figuring that one out are ya? Well, at least you're progressing.  That's a good thing.
Your words of wisdom are always a shining paragon of light unto us.

zarus tathra

Quote from: "Sal1981"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"You just now figuring that one out are ya? Well, at least you're progressing.  That's a good thing.
Your words of wisdom are always a shining paragon of light unto us.

He's a "tough guy" whose toughness consists of bitching about everybody, yes.