News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Started by sophia, December 31, 2013, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: "SGOS"OK, it's January 1, but I just got to thinking.  Both the Earth and a train are moving through time.  If you were on a train trip across a large country and asked where you were, you wouldn't expect someone to say, "April 14."  That does no good at all, but at least the conductor can give you a time table with a map so you can figure out your location.

But when the Earth moves around the Sun, I have no idea where we are.  All I ever know is the date.
The position of some close stars might give a good hint, ask an astronomer.

mykcob4

just another day as far as I am concerned.

aitm

Quote from: "SGOS"OK, it's January 1, but I just got to thinking.  Both the Earth and a train are moving through time.  If you were on a train trip across a large country and asked where you were, you wouldn't expect someone to say, "April 14."  That does no good at all, but at least the conductor can give you a time table with a map so you can figure out your location.

But when the Earth moves around the Sun, I have no idea where we are.  All I ever know is the date.

That is actually a pretty good think there!  I would love to see a calendar where instead of a picture of puppies (scratch that, I love puppies) or horses or Maxine or Dilbert that you have an image of where earth is in its orbit. What a fucking great idea!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: "aitm"

That is actually a pretty good think there!  I would love to see a calendar where instead of a picture of puppies (scratch that, I love puppies) or horses or Maxine or Dilbert that you have an image of where earth is in its orbit. What a fucking great idea!

Thanks, I hadn't thought of it in calendar format, but that makes perfect sense.  The picture or diagram would have to be oriented some way.  Since there is no "north" in space, maybe Polaris could be the reference point.  In the corner of the "map" there would be a little arrow that points up, with a notation, "Polaris", that indicates its direction.  I think this would work, although I'm not used to visualizing 3 dimensions in space.

There could also be an inset with other types of useful information like distance to the sun, since I think that varies each month and the degrees the sun's rays are striking the Earth at various reference points (say major cities) around the globe.  It could also include alerts like when winter constellations appear above the horizon.  Of course information about eclipses would be a part of it, I would think.