Favorite Quote from a Philosopher

Started by bennyboy, February 14, 2013, 03:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zatoichi

"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

Stuz719

Quote from: "Eric Cantona"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.Thank you very much."
Dort, wo man Bucher verbrennt, verbrennt man am Ende auch Menschen. - Heine

Sal1981

Beyond the boundary of knowledge lies faith.

Atheon

Be excellent to each other. - Bill & Ted
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Sal1981

"I had to suspend knowledge, in order to make room for faith."
? Immanuel Kant

Jack89

"THUG LIFE - The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone" -- 2Pac

Validus

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." ~Voltaire

"Our life is shaped by our mind, we become what we think." ~Buddha [Dhammapada 1:1]

"Know thyself." ~Socrates.

"Man is a rope stretched across an abyss that leads ape to superman. What is great in man is that he is a bridge, not a goal." ~Nietzsche.

"The limit of my language is the limit of my reality." ~Wittgenstein.
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." ~F. Nietzsche (1844-1900)

Solitary

QuoteThere is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed.

QuoteHatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

Bill
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Smartmarzipan

"First learn the meaning of what you say, then speak." ~ Epictetus
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Solitary

Quote from: "Zatoichi"[ Image ]

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  Funny! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

WitchSabrina

QuoteWhen the mind's eye rests on objects illuminated by truth and reality, it understands and comprehends them, and functions intelligently; but when it turns to the twilight world of change and decay, it can only form opinions, its vision is confused and its beliefs shifting, and it seems to lack intelligence. (Plato, 380BC)

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Famous-Quotes.htm
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Saul the not so great!

Quote from: "Ludwig Wittgenstein"Philosophy is a battle against the bewitchment of our intelligence by means of our language.
I haven't read anything by him, but what I've read about him has sparked my interest; he talks about an issue near and dear to my heart: how our language confuses us.

Cheerful Charlie

Quote from: "bennyboy"I'm really just trying to see if a new post in this section will reset the thread/post count correctly :)

From Nietzsche:
-A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
-There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.
-Plato was a bore.

G.E. Moore
Theology is the finding of bad reasons for things we are going to believe anyway.

Cheerful Charlie
Cheerful  Charlie