News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A cure for homosexuality

Started by GSOgymrat, December 28, 2013, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

In my view eliminating sexuality and gender from humanity would solve a lot of problems - except, of course, procreation and reproduction. If that issue were to be solved and I had the power to eliminate gender and sexuality I would do it.

Insult to Rocks

I don't see any reason why it would ever be used. Ignoring the horrific moral implications, think about what would happen if that child, when grown to adult, found out that their sexuality had been changed before they were born. Who knows what mental crises would result.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

The Skeletal Atheist

I'm only for curing things that are intrinsically harmful to the individual or society, a person's sexuality is not intrinsically harmful - it is society's bigotry that is harmful.

I would be for other things though. Like if one could find out gender identity in the womb (there is evidence that gender identity has biological origins), then you could ensure that the body matches up with the kid's gender identity. Obviously curing any physical deformities in the womb would be great.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Hydra009

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I'm only for curing things that are intrinsically harmful to the individual or society, a person's sexuality is not intrinsically harmful - it is society's bigotry that is harmful.
Bingo.  I would be in favor of knocking out life-threatening or quality-of-life threatening stuff, like birth defects and severe mental retardation.  Seems like a given.  But more intervention than that is ill-advised.  I'm uncomfortable with the idea of "designer" babies simply because of the fact that it's a pretty damn big choice and human nature being what it is, would almost certainly be abused outright or mishandled through incorrect ideas of the superiority of certain traits over others.

Hydra009

Quote from: "frosty"In my view eliminating sexuality and gender from humanity would solve a lot of problems - except, of course, procreation and reproduction. If that issue were to be solved and I had the power to eliminate gender and sexuality I would do it.

Perhaps a more benevolent version?

Plu

I would hope that people would come to accept homosexuals before they figure out how to cure them..

But alas, science grows much faster than tolerance.

Jason78

Quote from: "frosty"In my view eliminating sexuality and gender from humanity would solve a lot of problems - except, of course, procreation and reproduction. If that issue were to be solved and I had the power to eliminate gender and sexuality I would do it.

You bastard!  Sometimes sex is one of the few pleasures I get!  It also has the advantage of being a free, easily available form of recreation.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Changing one's sexual orientation?  Wouldn't that be an offense against God or something?  

Imagine going to a comedy theater to watch some gay guy act like a straight guy, complete with straight clothes and straight make up.  Everyone would marvel, "Geeze, I thought that was a straight guy singing up there, but it was actually a gay guy.  How does he do that?

The next thing you know, you have a whole bunch of gays acting like straight guys, dressing up in straight clothes.  Some people would think it funny, others would be offended.  Now I'm losing my train of thought.  Where was I going with my argument?  I have no idea.  I'm totally lost now.

FrankDK

It depends on which comes first, the vaccine or the eradication of bigotry.

If you were about to have a child that would be discriminated against, find itself the victim of hate and discrimination, and had a greatly increased likelihood of suicide, would you take an injection to protect your offspring from that?  Most would.  Would that be unethical?  Absolutely not.

Frank

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "FrankDK"It depends on which comes first, the vaccine or the eradication of bigotry.

If you were about to have a child that would be discriminated against, find itself the victim of hate and discrimination, and had a greatly increased likelihood of suicide, would you take an injection to protect your offspring from that?  Most would.  Would that be unethical?  Absolutely not.

Frank

In some cultures women are severely discriminated against or considered property. In those cultures would it be acceptable to abort female fetuses or use other methods to prevent female children to protect them from discrimination? How about producing more female children so they could be sold for profit?

I think the problem is the discrimination not the inherent characteristic.

FrankDK

> In some cultures women are severely discriminated against or considered property. In those cultures would it be acceptable to abort female fetuses or use other methods to prevent female children to protect them from discrimination?

If you eliminate females, it ends the human race.  Not a sterling idea.  Yes, prevent females from being  born in cultures in which they are discriminated against by 1. Working to eliminate bigotry, and 2. Move someplace more civilized.

> How about producing more female children so they could be sold for profit?

Selling people is evil.  I never recommended selling people.

> I think the problem is the discrimination not the inherent characteristic.

I never said otherwise.  What I said was, if you had the choice of having a child that would be discriminated against, or a child who would not be discriminated against, which would you choose?

As means of curing deafness advance, there is a growing movement to prohibit their use, that is, to make sure there are deaf people, depriving children of the ability to hear.  This movement consists entirely of deaf people.  People who are discriminated against want to ensure that there are more people who will be discriminated against.  I wonder if this has something to do with your inability to see my point.

Frank

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "Mermaid"Eugenics.

Gattaca is a good movie on the topic.

[youtube:3f48gcnz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZppWok6SX88[/youtube:3f48gcnz]

Hijiri Byakuren

Can we make a vaccine that turns everyone bisexual?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

aileron

I would not support use of such a vaccination, but I don't buy the "nature" rationale.  When people use nature as a rationale, it conjures up images of nature such as grand beautiful woods, majestic oceans, beautiful sunsets, etc.

Nature also supplies us with mosquitoes that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year by spreading malaria.  Nature also provides us severe birth defects, polio, etc.  There are LOTS of things nature gives us that suck, and we humans can do better than nature on these things.

The reason I wouldn't support such a vaccine is that I don't consider it an improvement.  If we can vaccinate to prevent birth defects, I'd support that improvement.  It's not an improvement having a straight vs. a gay person in adulthood.  In fact, (this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek) I'd support a vaccination to make more babies gay.  The world is way too overpopulated, and any way people can get sexual satisfaction without reproducing is a-okay with me.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez