News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Winter Solstice

Started by josephpalazzo, December 20, 2013, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Come Dec. 21st (tomorrow), we will witness another winter solstice. Nothing to get excited over. However do you know that this solstice is happening at very near perihelion? It is slowly changing and takes 21,000 years to come full circle. Here's a diagram of its position every 5,000 years.

So, enjoy this Saturday's winter solstice as it will be the closest one to the Sun you'll ever experience.

sophia

To bad tomorow is going to be a rainy day in the Netherlands :-|

josephpalazzo

Well, you could always catch a flight with KLM!  :P

sophia

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Well, you could always catch a flight with KLM!  :P
Well I didnt play any flights for tomorow

josephpalazzo

That crazy winter storm really spoiled witnessing the sun reversing course from north to south. Oh well, next year...

sophia

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"That crazy winter storm really spoiled witnessing the sun reversing course from north to south. Oh well, next year...
True.

SGOS

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"So, enjoy this Saturday's winter solstice as it will be the closest one to the Sun you'll ever experience.
Finally an explanation for global warming that makes sense and doesn't blame human environmental abuses.  So there's really nothing to worry about.  Keep buying them SUVs and cutting down the rainforests.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"So, enjoy this Saturday's winter solstice as it will be the closest one to the Sun you'll ever experience.
Finally an explanation for global warming that makes sense and doesn't blame human environmental abuses.  So there's really nothing to worry about.  Keep buying them SUVs and cutting down the rainforests.
Ha, we will not  reach aphelion until another 5000 years, plenty of time for us to screw up our dear planet.

FrankDK

So does that mean in 5000 years, the winter solstice will occur in the spring?  What will happen with spring break?  Will we spring backward?  And what if it turns out that doing the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Frank

sophia

Quote from: "FrankDK"So does that mean in 5000 years, the winter solstice will occur in the spring?  What will happen with spring break?  Will we spring backward?  And what if it turns out that doing the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?

Frank
What is the Hokey Pokey?

FrankDK

?What is the Hokey Pokey?

A dance mentioned in a popular song of the same name.

"You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!"

Frank

sophia

Quote from: "FrankDK"?What is the Hokey Pokey?

A dance mentioned in a popular song of the same name.

"You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out;
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about.
You do the Hokey-Pokey,
And you turn yourself around.
That's what it's all about!"

Frank
Now I know it. But why did you mention this song. What has the song to do with winter solstice?

FrankDK

>  But why did you mention this song. What has the song to do with winter solstice?

Nothing, really.  Deep subjects like the precession of the equinoxes make me think about the purpose of life, and I just wondered, what if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Frank

sophia

Quote from: "FrankDK">  But why did you mention this song. What has the song to do with winter solstice?

Nothing, really.  Deep subjects like the precession of the equinoxes make me think about the purpose of life, and I just wondered, what if doing the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Frank
thats indeed deep

SGOS

Quote from: "sophia"
Quote from: "FrankDK">  But why did you mention this song. What has the song to do with winter solstice?

Frank
thats indeed deep
Makes sense to me.  I think we should all do the Hokey Pokey during the solstice.  It could be like a pagan thing.