5th grader's speech on religion put on hold

Started by josephpalazzo, December 13, 2013, 05:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Thumpalumpacus

<insert witty aphorism here>

ApostateLois

Can't have kids thinking that religion might actually be BAD for humanity. That might cause them to start asking questions in Sunday School that the teachers can't answer, such as, "Why doesn't God stop people from doing bad things in his name?" Children who ask questions are annoying little brats who will go to hell if they don't shut up and just have faith.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Solitary

The comments are priceless: I think the VP and administrators have just proven his point.

He should rewrite his speech to be about censorship and religion intruding upon public schools.

I think he shouldn't. I think he very much nailed it as it is. Maybe add how religion is trying to make people conform and it's harmful to the public discourse.

To be fair it is unfair to other kids to compete against someone who is more mature than the administration of his school....

:rollin:   Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

So apparently 5th graders don't have 1st amendment rights?

Nonsensei

Quote from: "stromboli"So apparently 5th graders don't have 1st amendment rights?

Believe it or not, at school they actually do not have first amendment rights.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "stromboli"So apparently 5th graders don't have 1st amendment rights?

You know the old saying: "Truth comes out from the children's mouth". So the obvious strategy is to brainwash them before they can exercise their 1st amendment rights.

Thumpalumpacus

Indeed, minors don't enjoy the full panoply of rights.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Sal1981

This will backfire, censorship always backfires.