Today I wouldn’t get an academic job. It’s as simple as that

Started by josephpalazzo, December 07, 2013, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

- Peter Higgs

Other quotes:

QuoteHe doubts a similar breakthrough could be achieved in today's academic culture, because of the expectations on academics to collaborate and keep churning out papers. He said: "It's difficult to imagine how I would ever have enough peace and quiet in the present sort of climate to do what I did in 1964."

QuoteHe regrets that the particle he identified in 1964 became known as the "God particle".

He said: "Some people get confused between the science and the theology. They claim that what happened at Cern proves the existence of God."

QuoteHe also revealed that he turned down a knighthood in 1999. "I'm rather cynical about the way the honours system is used, frankly. A whole lot of the honours system is used for political purposes by the government in power."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013 ... mic-system

Jason78

Have you seen the hoops you have to jump through to get an education like that in the UK today?  Even if you do get your degree you'll end up with years of crippling debt following you around.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

josephpalazzo

We're going back to the Medieval Age when only the rich and the upper class could afford an education.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Jason78"Have you seen the hoops you have to jump through to get an education like that in the UK today?  Even if you do get your degree you'll end up with years of crippling debt following you around.
Crippling debt that you only pay back if you earn above a certain threshold, as a small percentage proportional to income, that gets cancelled out after a certain number of years even if you never pay it back?

I wouldn't say the current situation is ideal but I also wouldn't go as far as to say it is "crippling" financially to go to universty given that you don't have to pay a penny upfront and if you never get a good career out of it you never have to pay it all back either.

I do feel very fortunate to have gotten in before the fee rise.