Why Would Someone Troll?

Started by Solitary, December 04, 2013, 11:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

QuoteThey are often cheaters who waste other member's time trying to impress and garner attention with immature nonsense. It is also against community guidelines and that should be enough for most mature contributors to want them out of here.Trolls tend to be unhappy loner losers with few if any true friends they cheat at school, at sports,at most every thing, obviously they lack in self respect so they show little respect for other people here on the atheist forum and in other aspects of life

Sound familiar Eve?   :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

leo

Quote from: "Solitary"
QuoteThey are often cheaters who waste other member's time trying to impress and garner attention with immature nonsense. It is also against community guidelines and that should be enough for most mature contributors to want them out of here.Trolls tend to be unhappy loner losers with few if any true friends they cheat at school, at sports,at most every thing, obviously they lack in self respect so they show little respect for other people here on the atheist forum and in other aspects of life

Sound familiar Eve?   :roll:  Solitary
What  about the jack dude ?
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

mykcob4

Ah the old troll motivation conundrum.
Why, why, why!!!!

PickelledEggs

SGOS

My first guess is that they get off on doing something pointless.  Why do they get off on it?  I don't know.

Plu

AllPurposeAtheist

Trolls are nothing new. You probably knew several in school. You know, the asshole in class everyone hated, generally a bully, ate paste, etc.. Then they move on and find a way to be an asshole from the safety of home.. meh..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Attention and recognition, even if negative
    The emotional release of venting
    Power (the power to disrupt)
    Vandalism
    The thrill of breaking social conventions
    Sabotaging groups the troll dislikes
    Immaturity
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

stromboli

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Trolls are nothing new. You probably knew several in school. You know, the asshole in class everyone hated, generally a bully, ate paste, etc.. Then they move on and find a way to be an asshole from the safety of home.. meh..

Wrong. They become police officers and politicians. I have direct experience of this, growing up in a small town.

Plu

Yeah I think there is a difference between people who do it because they like the feeling of power (ie; bullies) and people who do it for the lulz (the real trolls).

stromboli

I don't have time to do anything like that. I assume this is done by people who are lazy and have nothing else on their plate to deal with. Sad.

Plu

It depends on the type. Trolls like those that come here or go to other forums to annoy people are probably sad people, but trolls like the guy in the talk posted above and many other high tech ones sound more like really smart people who just don't really know what to do with their time. They still build very impressive things; just with less practical application.

mykcob4

The fact is that there are professional trolls sponsored by megachurches and religious groups. They find a site and set banks of computers on those sites sending volumes of images of aborted fetises and the like. They also cultivate trolls like Eve whose purpose is to totally disrupt a site and render it disfunctional and causing it to lose popularity and die.
That's there aim to end all voices but their own.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well..of late here I've seen people continuously feed the troll(s) calling them chew toys, but their effect it to disrupt things, call attention to themselves and it'll serve nothing except to attract more of them.
That's why I'm more than happy to not engage and argue with them. Now if I could reach through my phone with an oak stick and beat them over the.head I might feel differently, but I can't so I don't.
As far as Im concerned Eve is merely irrelevant, nothing more, nothing less.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: "mykcob4"The fact is that there are professional trolls sponsored by megachurches and religious groups. They find a site and set banks of computers on those sites sending volumes of images of aborted fetises and the like. They also cultivate trolls like Eve whose purpose is to totally disrupt a site and render it disfunctional and causing it to lose popularity and die.
That's there aim to end all voices but their own.

Lol. All Eve did was create more activity on the forum. First time I've delved into my ex-Mormon stash in years.