News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Phobia transfer via DNA

Started by PickelledEggs, December 04, 2013, 09:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

//http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10486479/Phobias-may-be-memories-passed-down-in-genes-from-ancestors.html?fb

This is an article about how phobias might be passed down generation to generation via DNA. I actually don't know how legit or even how complete the research is. If it is legitimate / if they discover that it is one of the ways phobias are passed down or even obtained in the first place, I would imagine that the reason for it would be evolutionary.... something scares you as a survival mechanism type thing.

On the other hand... you could use a little more wild of an imagination like the "spiritual" person that I saw this article from and assume it's past life regression and our ancestors "speaking to us"  :Hangman:

Solitary

This is very interesting to me because I am convinced that mental problems are actually caused by physical means. I know for a fact that with PTSD there is a difference in the physical brain, either there to begin with that causes PTSD, or the Traumatic Stress accumulates and cause physical changes in the brain. This is why genetic research needs to look for this in all mental illnesses along with neuroscientist. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Solitary"This is very interesting to me because I am convinced that mental problems are actually caused by physical means. I know for a fact that with PTSD there is a difference in the physical brain, either there to begin with that causes PTSD, or the Traumatic Stress accumulates and cause physical changes in the brain. This is why genetic research needs to look for this in all mental illnesses along with neuroscientist. Solitary
Yes, I agree Solitary. I can imagine that something like PTSD could be caused by a change in chemicals your body produces and the way they produce them due to too much stress or shock.

I guess that means that if the body chemistry changes in the way it works, DNA can be altered and also passed down. (assuming the prior is correct, obviously)

mykcob4

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"//http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10486479/Phobias-may-be-memories-passed-down-in-genes-from-ancestors.html?fb

This is an article about how phobias might be passed down generation to generation via DNA. I actually don't know how legit or even how complete the research is. If it is legitimate / if they discover that it is one of the ways phobias are passed down or even obtained in the first place, I would imagine that the reason for it would be evolutionary.... something scares you as a survival mechanism type thing.

On the other hand... you could use a little more wild of an imagination like the "spiritual" person that I saw this article from and assume it's past life regression and our ancestors "speaking to us"  :Hangman:
I haven't read the data and truly i
I doubt if it technically based that I would fully understand it. I think it's ligit though because I have the same exact fears as my mom with no earthly explaination.
For example I have never had a fear of pain, or the size or any adversary. I do fear closed in places and vast emptiness.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Solitary"This is very interesting to me because I am convinced that mental problems are actually caused by physical means. I know for a fact that with PTSD there is a difference in the physical brain, either there to begin with that causes PTSD, or the Traumatic Stress accumulates and cause physical changes in the brain. This is why genetic research needs to look for this in all mental illnesses along with neuroscientist. Solitary
I actually have PTSD. I didn't know I had it until years after I retired and went to a therapist for depression. I compartmentalized many things and thought that I was just disregarding them, forgeting about them, but they creeped back into my consciousness.
I believe that there is environmental causes and inhereted causes for different pscological disorders.
Take the case of Eve. All her mental disfunctions are purely environmental, although her redneckedness is probably caused by inbreeding.

AllPurposeAtheist

Got my fear of heights falling off a 50 ft billboard.. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't fall from one, but I never asked.. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Yes, I agree Solitary. I can imagine that something like PTSD could be caused by a change in chemicals your body produces and the way they produce them due to too much stress or shock.

I guess that means that if the body chemistry changes in the way it works, DNA can be altered and also passed down. (assuming the prior is correct, obviously)

I know it causes body and brain chemistry, but I meant actual physical changes to the brain, my neurologist showed me on my MRI from the latest MRI machine actual differences between mine and a normal brain. But what comes first, the chicken or the egg?  :-s  Solitary

mykcob4

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Got my fear of heights falling off a 50 ft billboard.. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't fall from one, but I never asked.. :-k
That is a classic case caused purely by the environment one is exposed to as an infant. It is clinically known as fetis cranial trama. In otherwords you were dropped on your head when you were a baby.
Just kidding.

Solitary

Quote from: "mykcob4"
I actually have PTSD. I didn't know I had it until years after I retired and went to a therapist for depression. I compartmentalized many things and thought that I was just disregarding them, forgeting about them, but they creeped back into my consciousness.
I believe that there is environmental causes and inhereted causes for different pscological disorders.
Take the case of Eve. All her mental disfunctions are purely environmental, although her redneckedness is probably caused by inbreeding.

:lol:  [-X  Solitary It wasn't until I retired that I found after my doctor noticed something wasn't right about me and asked me questions about my life and experiences. I have been the way I am for my entire life and just thought that was just the way I was. The unconscious mind never forgets unless it is damaged. When psychiatrist told me to just let go I laugh at them and said "really?" I never really thought I had a mental illness even though everyone around me did.  :shock:  :lol:  #-o  I even had six psychiatrist that gave me every kind of test they could and couldn't figure out what was wrong, I fit every category for almost every mental problem and yet they knew I wasn't insane from the tests. They never asked me what my life history was for some reason. I was even hypnotized which I didn't think could be done to me. They wound up telling me I was too smart for my own good. Hell I could have told them that. :shock:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  #-o  :lol:  Solitary

PickelledEggs

I heard a story a while back about a retarded tiger that they say had a problem in it's brain because of inbreeding in a zoo.  :rollin:

I'm not sure if that story is real, but it's still hilarious if you compare it to Eve. And I've seen enough research via articles and documenteries to have a basic understanding of how inbreeding can cause those kind of problems.

PickelledEggs

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Got my fear of heights falling off a 50 ft billboard.. I'm pretty sure my parents didn't fall from one, but I never asked.. :-k
That is a classic case caused purely by the environment one is exposed to as an infant. It is clinically known as fetis cranial trama. In otherwords you were dropped on your head when you were a baby.
Just kidding.

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  I wish I had said that. This is why I like APA, you can have fun with him and vice versa.  :-D  Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"never mind. I googled and found it Here it is

Kenny, An Inbred White Tiger With Down Syndrome

Wow! I never new that could happen to an animal. Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

Just kidding.
I wasn't dropped.. My mom got sick of my shit and threw me at the floor. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mykcob4

A stand up comedian was doing his schtick and once said:
"I was raised in Arkansas. When I turned 18 I was drafted and sent to Veitnam. I had flashbacks, in Veitnam, about Arkansas."