An argument for multiculturalism

Started by zarus tathra, November 25, 2013, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

This one won't hinge on "durr be nice to people." It's more like "genetic diversity means not having everyone get wiped out by one disease," except applied to culture and ideology.

We can all agree that certain memes and political ideas can be very ruinous to a society. We would not be here on this forum on this site if we didn't think that on some level. Well, having multiple cultural identities can make "unified," destructive political ideologies impossible to propagate over too large of a segment of the population. One of the things crippling the anarchist movement in the US is that black people and Mexicans, theoretically the people with the least loyalty to the "system," see it as a "white" ideology. I'm not saying that anarchism is inherently invalid, I'm saying that regardless of its validity, heterogeneity has made it very difficult to propagate. And if this can cripple anarchism, then it can probably cripple anything that fails to navigate the "minefield."
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Hakurei Reimu

Nice. Just like a disease can wipe out a monoclone, a dangerous idea can wipe out a uniform culture.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Sal1981

Makes sorta sense. Although some things only have one aspect, like mathematics, not much wiggle-room for alternative viewpoints.

zarus tathra

Oh, absolutely. And it is these ideas that will impose themselves on multiple cultures and races in a way that no political ideology ever can.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

stromboli

Anarchist movements like Common Ground that have been fairly successful are local, spontaneously created entities. I like the idea personally, but I think the best results come from educational aspects ahead of political ones. The second you are identified as a political entity you come under fire. The Occupy movement was met with force driven by the very politicians they were trying to educate and enlist. The Occupy movement only proved how entrenched the billionaire overlords are in our system.

stromboli

And yes, multiculturalism is a good thing, and yes, the majority of us here think in like terms. And I agree the Anarchist movement is seen as "white". Think in Mormon terms. Send a bunch of missionaries, white people, to third world "brown" countries. What they are selling is not just religion but the ability to "be white". The ones who accept the BS are the ones who inherently have a desire to have what whites have. Those who reject it are the same ones who are suspicious of white motives. Anything perceived as a white idea carries connotations with it.

mykcob4

The best thing about muticuturalism is that not only is one idealism watered down until it isn't effective, but when a really good idea comes along it has to fight for existance, and if it survives it is an everlasting idea. The downside is that the majority produces failure and mediocrity.

zarus tathra

But with multiculturalism, the failure is contained.

Sal1981

I definitely like the idea that political viewpoints have to struggle to survive in a field of open discourse instead of just a single homogenic (sp?) political platform gets all the power. Reminds me of political science.

zarus tathra

I definitely agree that too many movements exist within "bubbles," including the "multiculturalism" movement itself. Expand this idea to all the world's religions, and...

People hate multiculturalism because it too often is imposed from above by bureaucrats in finance, government, and education who do everything they can to create barriers to open discourse. But I think that unrestrained discourse without the influence of those who seek to control information could do wonders. Within like 3 months every longstanding controversy would END. Of course, a lot of people would probably die, but it'd probably be sampled from among the most parasitic elements of society.

The only way for a tyrannical system to exist is by  means of suppressing freedom of speech in its many forms. Wherever real freedom of speech (and the right to bear arms) exist, tyranny will naturally iron itself out.