News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Law of Attraction

Started by stromboli, November 24, 2013, 03:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "stromboli"Regardless of the lack of scientific backing, this idea has a number of proponents, including Jim Carrey, Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey.
I like the way you inserted this partial list of highly reasoned proponents for our examination.  Well, I can't say it makes me want to believe in the concept with total acceptance, but it's a start I suppose.  I mean after all; Oprah Winfrey.
Oprah is the princess of bullshit . The queen of bullshit is Eve .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

vsenetak

I doubt thoughts have big effect on the world but they sure do have effect on the one who has em.

Hydra009

Quote from: "vsenetak"I doubt thoughts have big effect on the world but they sure do have effect on the one who has em.
TBH, I haven't met too many people who have them, either.   :P

PJS

Quote from: "Jmpty"I was a bookstore manager when the book "The Secret" came out. It was, and is, a joke. Magical thinking at it's finest.

I received "The Secret" as a gift from a young relative. I found it quite useful, as a coaster- two beers could fit nicely.
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Jason78"
QuoteThe law of attraction is the name given to the belief that "like attracts like"

Just tested that with magnets.  The results do not support the theory.
While you may have touched positive against positive...were both of the magnets actually thinking positively?
If not I reject the validity of this experiment and denounce it as pseudoscience!

leo

I accept positive thinking can have positive effects in persons but the idea that we can get anything we want by only thinking positive of it is bullshit. Horse crap I would say.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Shol'va

I'm all for positive thinking. It is my understanding that being down when you are sick doesn't help with the healing process, for example, and this is a well documented fact amongst doctors/hospitals/etc. However, this doesn't mean the reverse is true, that if you go all happy and high on life to your daily dose of chemotherapy, that will cure you of cancer.
I think positive thinking can have a genuine positive impact on you and those around you. It's all about perspective. But I don't accept any proposed "energy give-offs" or any other mumbo-jumbo in the complete absence of evidence.
If I can choose to be happy or crabby waking up in the morning and going on about my day, why be crabby? We've only got so many days to live.

Jason78

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "Jason78"
QuoteThe law of attraction is the name given to the belief that "like attracts like"

Just tested that with magnets.  The results do not support the theory.
While you may have touched positive against positive...were both of the magnets actually thinking positively?
If not I reject the validity of this experiment and denounce it as pseudoscience!

I was thinking positively.  I really really wanted it to happen!

I don't understand why it didn't. :(
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Atheon

Though the so-called "Law of Attraction" is mystical-based mumbo-jumbo, there is certainly merit to positive thinking. There's nothing mystical about it: positive thinking acts as a motivator. People tend to be more successful when they take action to achieve a goal or solve problems, whereas negative-thinking people tend not to even try.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "stromboli"Good thought is fine, but hard work to go with it is better.

Words of wisdom.
<insert witty aphorism here>

frosty

Motivation is truly the key to living a productive life. I'm lazy myself and it sucks seeing the world passing you by all the time. Positive thinking and positive self-enforcement turns into motivation which then turns into action, and in the end results. Nothing mystical about it, just pure rationality.