Is Rational Thinking for Everyone?

Started by Solomon Zorn, November 24, 2013, 01:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

I don't know if everyone is capable of being rational.

Sometimes I feel like some people need someone they can trust to be rational for them.

Other times I think being intelligent a basic concern of every human. An intrinsic responsibility, so to speak.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Solomon Zorn"Is Rational Thinking for Everyone?

Yes.

Poison Tree

While perhaps some people will be naturally better or worse at rational thinking, I'd say that it is, to a large degree, a skill then needs to be learned and practiced. If someone was not taught how to think rationally when they were young, I don't think they can simply flip a switch and suddenly think rationally by default.

It may be like math: some students simply "get" math better then others. But a naturally worse student can out work a better one, at least to some degree. And even a good math student, if (s)he gets out of practice, will look very rusty trying to pick it back up again.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Agramon

It's feeling kind of neckbeardy in here.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: "Agramon"It's feeling kind of neckbeardy in here.

I may be an uneducated hick, but I do shave my neck.  8-)
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Sal1981

I think that rational thinking is something that is taught. The way it is now, it sorta is just accepted to come by its own by osmosis in schools. At least, that's how it was when I went to school. I don't remember learning about how to think, only getting a bunch of tasks and problems to solve. That, and a shitload of repetition.

Plu

I've read before that rational thinking is indeed something you need to be taught and something that does not come naturally to most people. And also that if it's not taught at a young age, it becomes almost impossible to learn later.

Biologically we are really wired to follow without questioning it seems. And I can see why, to. It just doesn't apply to the modern world anymore.

Jason78

Quote from: "the_antithesis"

Yes.

I'd say no.  There are some people that can't or wont think that way, and actually perform better if they don't.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: "Sal1981"I think that rational thinking is something that is taught. The way it is now, it sorta is just accepted to come by its own by osmosis in schools. At least, that's how it was when I went to school. I don't remember learning about how to think, only getting a bunch of tasks and problems to solve. That, and a shitload of repetition.
I got some, but it was rare.  Yes, mostly tasks and repetition, but on those rare occasions when I was exposed to logical reasoning, it was a different sort of learning, new, and therefore interesting.  It left a dent, so to speak, but it's one of the few things I remember actually learning.  Reason was not my default state.  I assume it's like that for most people.  

Most people automatically claim to use reason, even when supporting strange and bizarre positions.  It's like another one of the human default states is to assume we are logical without actually testing our claims methodically.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Jason78"

Yes.

I'd say no.  There are some people that can't or wont think that way, and actually perform better if they don't.
As others have said, my observation is that it's usually an acquired skill. If something that goes against rational thinking is deeply ingrained within your brain then yes, you "can't or won't" think that way. But given enough time, I've found that anyone can overcome that; provided they do so willingly.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Solomon Zorn"Is[s:6slea3o3]Rational Thinking[/s:6slea3o3] breathing without choking to death on your own salivafor Everyone?

Yes.

I'd say no.  There are some people that can't or wont [s:6slea3o3]think[/s:6slea3o3] breathe that way, and actually perform better if they don't.

This is not a matter of preference. One is either rational or insane. Are insane people actually better off being insane?

Well, Chucky Manson is marrying a 25 year old, so you might have a point. However, she is ugly, so no you don't.

Solitary

It doesn't make any difference if someone is logical in their thinking because it can't prove what the truth is, but irrational magical thinking can sure make life miserable. You can't prove something doesn't exist, but you can prove through logic that it can't have contradictory attributes which the Judeo-Christian, Islamic God, is assumed to have. You can prove if the facts are agreed upon whether a statement is true or not. Also there are more than one system of logic. Quantum logic works different than we are accustomed to and requires higher math to use, but even then it is not really understood, it works and is therefore pragmatic just like religion is for some people, but it to cannot not show absolute truth but probabilities.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

josephpalazzo

Being rational is not enough. You need to examine the worldview in which rational thinking is being exercised. Hitler was rational withing his own worldview, and so are many christians within their own views. What needs to be done is scrutinizing the assumptions within that worldview.

Jason78

Who's been greasing up antithesis slippery slope?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

Antitheist series of increasingly unacceptable consequences. Only for them and Eve :lol:  Solitary.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.