News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The "nuclear option"

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, November 21, 2013, 03:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Well.. Harry did it and finally cut off the filibuster in the senate.. I wonder where this leads.. :-k
My gut tells me it's a good move, but I'm just not sure.. Any opinions on this?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

In the present situation, it is a good move as the GOP has tied up the Senate into gridlock, and we know why. It's too bad, but let's face it: America isn't ready for a black person in the White house. The opposition to this president has been unprecedented. in the nation's history, there have been 168 filibusters against presidential appointees, and half of them have occurred during the last four and a half years under the Obama administration. Of course RACISM didn't play any role/// end of rant.

AllPurposeAtheist

Rubes are blaming this whole move as a cover for Obamacare (ACA), ignoring the reason it was even talked about over the past 5 years AS IF everything in congress has been just peachy..

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jack89

aileron

The change to the filibuster rule is only for presidential appointees, and not for cabinet-level or SCOTUS appointees.  It seems like a reasonable response to the GOP's ungentlemanly use of a gentlemanly agreement traditionally afforded to the minority party.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

mykcob4

'bout time. Now lets enforce the treason law and start executing Ted Cruz and the like!

aileron

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

AllPurposeAtheist

The truth is both parties have abused the filibuster, but the 60 vote majority has only been around 40 years so a simple majority is not unheard of.

Atheon

But nobody has abused it even closely to the degree that the Re-pube-licans have done during Obama's terms.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Atheon"But nobody has abused it even closely to the degree that the Re-pube-licans have done during Obama's terms.
True..good reason to NOT vote for rubes..

Eve

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Well.. Harry did it and finally cut off the filibuster in the senate.. I wonder where this leads.. :-k
My gut tells me it's a good move, but I'm just not sure.. Any opinions on this?
Opinion:
In 2005 senator Obama said that nuclear option is POWER GRAB :evil:  and it is WRONG.
In 2013 President Obama have GRABED MORE POWER :evil:  and he is WRONG.
Only IGNORANT people will believe that it is good at ANY time.

Be ready to loose more freedom. Obama DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU.
But if you don't care about freedom and OK with Big Brother taking care of you then I have nothing to say to you.

Eve

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"In the present situation, it is a good move as the GOP has tied up the Senate into gridlock, and we know why.
In any situation when one party has power is BAD. I hope Dems want feel bad when or if Republicans will have White House, Senate and Congress.  
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"It's too bad, but let's face it: America isn't ready for a black person in the White house.
America is not ready for Obamacare and his ideology. Give me Allan West and I am ready.

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"The opposition to this president has been unprecedented. in the nation's history, there have been 168 filibusters against presidential appointees, and half of them have occurred during the last four and a half years under the Obama administration. Of course RACISM didn't play any role/// end of rant.
Of course. Unless there is SOLID PROOF of RACISM. Do you have one?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Eve"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"In the present situation, it is a good move as the GOP has tied up the Senate into gridlock, and we know why.
In any situation when one party has power is BAD. I hope Dems want feel bad when or if Republicans will have White House, Senate and Congress.

They're in the opposition and have nearly wrecked the economy with government shutdowns, gridlock and constantly sabotaging anything that Obama has proposed, including GOP past proposals.  

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"It's too bad, but let's face it: America isn't ready for a black person in the White house.
America is not ready for Obamacare and his ideology. Give me Allan West and I am ready.
FYI, Obamacare is Romneycare, a distinct Republican project. Suffice that the black man in the oval office was for it that the Republicans were against it.

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"The opposition to this president has been unprecedented. in the nation's history, there have been 168 filibusters against presidential appointees, and half of them have occurred during the last four and a half years under the Obama administration. Of course RACISM didn't play any role/// end of rant.
Of course. Unless there is SOLID PROOF of RACISM. Do you have one?

Yep, read the above answers.

Eve

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"They're in the opposition and have nearly wrecked the economy with government shutdowns, gridlock and constantly sabotaging anything that Obama has proposed, including GOP past proposals.
Do you know wrecked out economy? Washington DC. ALL OF THEM.
Senator Obama said that is Unpatriotic to borrow more from China. President Obama brought us from $9 trillion to almost $17 trillion. Yes, he is very patriotic. No better than Bush I can tell you for sure.

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"FYI, Obamacare is Romneycare, a distinct Republican project. Suffice that the black man in the oval office was for it that the Republicans were against it.
I don't care about Obamacare and I don't care about Romneycare. At least Romneycare was BIPARTISAN.
We have to find something better then both of them.

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Yep, read the above answers.
There are no any proves that racism is the reason.
Your assumptions or anybody else assumptions are not proof.