Quoting others is for stupid people

Started by mediumaevum, November 18, 2013, 06:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mediumaevum

Too often I see in internet discussions, or discussions in real life too, that people quote known persons, to make a statement.

If, for example, people are debating democracy, someone will eventually quote Winston Churchill's "democracy is the least worst of all options"-quote.

Why can't people make up their quotes? That way people will be forced to put forth an argument.

Most people use quotes from others, and simply forget that just because it was a known person who said so, it isn't an argument in and of itself.

Famous people are not always right, and they certainly are never right because they are famous.

Please stop quoting other people if you want to say something useful.

Plu

Quoting others is not neccesarily stupid, but it can be abused just like anything else. A quote is not an argument in and of itself as you say, but it can lend strength to an argument. Not because of who said it, but because of why they said it.

It's basically just the compacted version of using another person's argument. And the quote is just as strong as any other argument copied from another, only more compacted.

Jason78

It's common to attribute words to their original author or speaker so that everyone else in the conversation knows that they are not your words and to show that you're not plagiarising.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

QuoteNext to the originator of a good sentence is the first quoter of it.
:P  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

Quote from: "Ralph Waldo Emerson"Next to the originator of a good sentence is the first quoter of it. Many will read the book before one thinks of quoting a passage. As soon as he has done this, that line will be quoted east and west.

Attribute your quotes Solitary!

Shiranu

Maybe because people quote for the content of the quote, not because so-and-so said it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mykcob4

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Too often I see in internet discussions, or discussions in real life too, that people quote known persons, to make a statement.

If, for example, people are debating democracy, someone will eventually quote Winston Churchill's "democracy is the least worst of all options"-quote.

Why can't people make up their quotes? That way people will be forced to put forth an argument.

Most people use quotes from others, and simply forget that just because it was a known person who said so, it isn't an argument in and of itself.

Famous people are not always right, and they certainly are never right because they are famous.

You can't demand that people stop doing something because you want them to or don't like it. I was trying to think of an apt quote from a famous person here but I just can't think of one at the moment. I have a book of quotes that I could consult, but I can't remember exactly where I put it.
People will always use quotes because people are basically lazy and unoriginal. Some use quotes with expertise an choose the perfect quote for the situation. I am not either of those. I choose quotes on impulse and usually choose quotes that are pat answers. You're right famous people aren't always correct and their opinions aren't necessarily right, but people use quotes from famous people to achieve credibility for their arguements. Whether that is right or wrong is besides the point. If they choose to use that tactic is what they choose to do, and you nor I could stem the tide of that tactic.

AllPurposeAtheist

Like quoting Mitt Romney and his 47% rant while he was running for president? We're all takers and yet it's stupid to quote morons like Romney?

I think not.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

mediumaevum

Quote from: "mykcob4"People will always use quotes because people are basically lazy and unoriginal.

That's the problem I was trying to address.

aitm

I think most quote not because they are lazy or non-intelligent, most quote because if they don't, other smart people accuse them of semi-plagiarizing. Which brings up a peeve of mine anyway. Most quotes are not originals. I mean many quotes are attributed to a person and it may be the first time it was written down and by that attributed to that person, but we can never know who first said something.

Remember Roosevelt is given the "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself", however this was found almost 800 years earlier by Saint Teresa Cepeda.

Anyway, I think quoting people and especially knowing the quotes is the sign of a well versed, well read person. Certainly a better indication of a willingness to learn versus blatant ignorance.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Ralph Waldo Emerson"Next to the originator of a good sentence is the first quoter of it. Many will read the book before one thinks of quoting a passage. As soon as he has done this, that line will be quoted east and west.

Attribute your quotes Solitary!

That would be redundant now wouldn't?  :P   :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

It's not redundant.  I like to know the source of your quotes so that I can go back and check out the original in context.

dgirl1986

I often find it useful to quote others because they can say it way better than I can.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Too often I see in internet discussions, or discussions in real life too, that people quote known persons, to make a statement.

When something is said elegantly, it bears repeating.  And if one repeats it, crediting the original speaker is only right.

Now, if you take the concept and reword it, you are still borrowing, and still need to give due credit; but in the world of the Internet, some dickhead will always come along and say, "Aha, you got the quote wrong! Therefore you are wrong!" which, while obviously fallacious thinking, is annoying and liable to sidetrack the discussion.

It's therefore better to quote exactly, credit the quote, and then elaborate upon it.

It's only the argument from authority if someone alleges the quote is evidence because of its speaker's fame, assuming  that the quote is not in the speaker's field of experience.
<insert witty aphorism here>

missingnocchi

What's a "Leppo?"