Days I remember long past gone.

Started by mykcob4, November 17, 2013, 01:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

My boyhood was filled with catapillers, and walking sticks, and butterflies, and tarachulas.
It was filled fill boxturtles, and frogs, and toads, and hornedfrogs, and snakes, and lizards.
It had deer, and badgers, and porcupines, and armadilos, and raccoons.
There were horses, and pigs, and cattle, and sheep, and goats, and chickens.
There were virgin forset, and wild fields, and berrys, and flowers.
I endured stickers, and burrs, and thistles, and ticks, and stings.
I reexplored unexplored caves.
I got lost, and got found, was scared, and felt safe.
I chase rabbits till I thought my heart would burst.
My cocker spanial followed me through brush and bramble as if I knew where I was going.
I was burnt by the sun, and cooled by the rain, was frozen by the snow, and warmed by the wind.
I laughed , I giggled, I sobbed, and I cried.
I stayed awake for days, and fell alseep at the drop of a hat.
I stopped and stared skyward to watch the rare contrails of a passing jet.
I rode my single speed bike till the wheels came off.
I fished with worms and a cane pole, never expecting and rarely ever catching a thing.
I chewed grass and weeds, and made mudpies and forts.
I remember those days with no cell phones when mom whould yell out of the back door to come home because it was getting dark.
I remember never having fences to climb unless there was a farm or a pen to keep livestack in.
I wonder where they went.
They've left me now, they've left all of us, pushed away by humanity.
They are long past gone.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

stromboli

Yup. Pretty much did all that. I'm old.

FrankDK

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "FrankDK"//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3KfrmT0M0

Frank
I'm not THAT old.
I am.

That's not I in the group, but I do sing in a barbershop quartet, and have done that song.

Frank

mykcob4

Quote from: "FrankDK"
Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "FrankDK"//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3KfrmT0M0

Frank
I'm not THAT old.
I am.

That's not I in the group, but I do sing in a barbershop quartet, and have done that song.

Frank
When I first retired from the service my first job was selling bookkeeping to small businesses. My boss was a diehard barbershoper. His group was exceolent. He wasn't even as old as I. The best groups varied in age but they were all very entertaining.

AllPurposeAtheist

What about that job delivering stone tablets door to door?

Oh wait..doors hadn't been invented yet.. Cave to cave.. :-D
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

FrankDK

> When I first retired from the service my first job was selling bookkeeping to small businesses. My boss was a diehard barbershoper. His group was exceolent. He wasn't even as old as I. The best groups varied in age but they were all very entertaining.

Barbershop seems to be making a come-back.  With all the fancy do-dads that kids play with these days, letting someone else do the creative part, barbershop is catching on in high schools.  Several of the schools in this area have active barbershop singing programs, and there are regional and national contests and get-togethers for young barbershopers.  The median age of new members of the Barbershop Harmony Society last year was 19.  (Yes, nineteen.)

Frank

AllPurposeAtheist

You should at least have to be a licensed barber, eh? Otherwise aren't you just a singer? :-k :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

FrankDK

> You should at least have to be a licensed barber, eh? Otherwise aren't you just a singer? :-k :)

Years ago, in the Syracuse chapter, where I originally joined, they contacted the local newspaper about getting a piece in an edition.  They explained patiently how the style originated and how it got the name "barbershop."  They provided a photo, the name of the chorus, etc.

When the piece ran, there was the photo, with the headline, "The Singing Barbers."  As it happened, there wasn't a barber in the group.  You can't believe what you see in the media.

Frank