About to drop a verbal bomb on Facebook

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, February 14, 2013, 11:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Jason have you had a change of heart?

No, I'm just trying to get the wording right for maximum impact.  I want to shock my creationist friends as hard as I can with this one post.  I'll let the comments handle the long arguments.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"No, I'm just trying to get the wording right for maximum impact.  I want to shock my creationist friends as hard as I can with this one post.  I'll let the comments handle the long arguments.

I don't know your Creationist friends, but, just going by Creationists in general, my expectation would be that anything you say will be in one ear and out the other, you aren't one of them, thus you don't count, thus anything you say is to be ignored.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"
Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"No, I'm just trying to get the wording right for maximum impact.  I want to shock my creationist friends as hard as I can with this one post.  I'll let the comments handle the long arguments.

I don't know your Creationist friends, but, just going by Creationists in general, my expectation would be that anything you say will be in one ear and out the other, you aren't one of them, thus you don't count, thus anything you say is to be ignored.

I'd say not so much as 'ignored' as distrusted.  Jason, that's the biggest stumbling block IMHO to Creationist thinking.  They find anything counter to their own opinion dis trustworthy. It's a natural response, I suppose, for them however reminding them of *where* they've put their trust will cause a debate.  I often think the subject of trust doesn't come up enough.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jason Harvestdancer

I went and posted it now with the addition that it is embarrassing to Christians in general.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Mister Agenda

It's (I think) an interesting factoid that the percentage of Christian denominations in America that are okay with at least theistic evolution is far higher than the ones that are strictly creationist, but the percentage of pastors who are strict creationists is around 50%.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

ApostateLois

I might post something like that on my FB page, just because of all the Christians who post bullshit all the time. It really concerns me that they are raising kids who mistrust science even in the face of endless evidence that it has done more good for the world than most religion. This is especially true of medical science, which relies upon an understanding of evolution to create vaccines, antibiotics, and many other treatments for diseases.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Anonymous

In my experience they will argue for a bit, not listen, lie about it some more even when you give them proof, and then delete posts to save face.  Don't even trip about it.

WitchSabrina

Jason, if any of them start foaming at the mouth you can post this:
(usually shuts them up And makes them laugh)

Seabear

Ask your creationist buddies to explain the phenomenon of magnetic pole reversal. This has occurred ~300x in the last 100 million years. We know this to be true based on observed latent magnetism in lava flows and deep sea cores..

If the Earth is only 10000 years old, these reversals would have occurred, on average, every 300-400 years or so.  So, we would have observed it multiple times in recorded history.  But we haven't. Hmmmm
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

hrdlr110

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"I went and posted it now with the addition that it is embarrassing to Christians in general.

Can/will you share some feedback/backlash? You can change the names to protect the ignorant.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Colanth

Quote from: "Seabear"Ask your creationist buddies to explain the phenomenon of magnetic pole reversal. This has occurred ~300x in the last 100 million years. We know this to be true based on observed latent magnetism in lava flows and deep sea cores..

If the Earth is only 10000 years old, these reversals would have occurred, on average, every 300-400 years or so.  So, we would have observed it multiple times in recorded history.  But we haven't. Hmmmm
Its easy to think (or, rather, not think) like a cretinist.  Omnibenevolent never-lying God created the planet with hundreds of reversals recorded in the rocks just to trick us.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Seabear"Ask your creationist buddies to explain the phenomenon of magnetic pole reversal. This has occurred ~300x in the last 100 million years. We know this to be true based on observed latent magnetism in lava flows and deep sea cores..

Its easy to think (or, rather, not think) like a cretinist.  Omnibenevolent never-lying God created the planet with hundreds of reversals recorded in the rocks just to trick us.

yeah.......... can I get a ruling on that one, please? Where exactly does it say in the bible that god gets a pass on lying?

wait...

doesn't matter since he set us up for failure in the first place.  Did anyone expect him to tell the truth about that?
derrr

Mermaid

The only thing this will do is piss people off. Happens to me every day when people post shit on Facebook that opposes my general principles--about how evil our president is and how anyone who doesn't pray to God is basically stupid. It only insults me and does not change anything. I would never do it although several friends often do.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jason Harvestdancer

Here is the discussion thread.

The main Creationist in the thread is trying hard to divert the conversation and refuse to confront the three specific criticisms I'm making of creationism.

1.  The Creationist God is a deceiver.
2.  Creationists are supposed to remain willfully ignorant.
3.  Those that fail to remain willfully ignorant are supposed to lie about what they know.

He's trying desperately to point out the inconsistencies of science, because those dastardly scientists change their mind every time new data comes up.  I'm not allowing this to turn into a Creation v. Evolution thread.  I'm staying on the attack, saying only that for all of his questions about the science if he were willing to learn Google will provide him with more information than he could handle.  I respond to his challenges to science by saying "the science is settled, if you are willing to look."

I'm remaining on the attack, and point 2 is working rather well to his "repeated objections" response.

leo

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Here is the discussion thread.

The main Creationist in the thread is trying hard to divert the conversation and refuse to confront the three specific criticisms I'm making of creationism.

1.  The Creationist God is a deceiver.
2.  Creationists are supposed to remain willfully ignorant.
3.  Those that fail to remain willfully ignorant are supposed to lie about what they know.

He's trying desperately to point out the inconsistencies of science, because those dastardly scientists change their mind every time new data comes up.  I'm not allowing this to turn into a Creation v. Evolution thread.  I'm staying on the attack, saying only that for all of his questions about the science if he were willing to learn Google will provide him with more information than he could handle.  I respond to his challenges to science by saying "the science is settled, if you are willing to look."

I'm remaining on the attack, and point 2 is working rather well to his "repeated objections" response.
Christians in facebook are funny with their bullshit .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .