About to drop a verbal bomb on Facebook

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, February 14, 2013, 11:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

I have a few friends on FB who are creationists.  One of them recently posted a picture from the Creation Museum and I corrected the science of it.

She said that whenever she posts something Christian she gets attacked.  I replied that it wasn't the Christianity, it was the inaccuracy.

Still, that got me thinking.  So I decided I'd drop this on my Facebook page.

QuoteI am growing increasingly concerned at how widely the Creationist Heresy has spread within mainstream Christianity.  I used to think it harmless, comparable to St. Paul's vegetarians, but it now seems to be the biggest threat to orthodox Christian theology since the Arian heresy of the 4th and 16th centuries.  Given the schismatic nature of Christianity today, with over 10,000 denominations, it seems unlikely that there could be an Ecumenical Council whereby Christians can confront Creationists on their heresy.

Yes, I am being deliberately provocative by saying Creationists are something different from Christians.  Is there any way anyone can see that I can strengthen the language up a bit?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

BlackL1ght

Can you call it heresy? Not being a creationist would be the heresy, would it not?
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

aitm

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"Can you call it heresy? Not being a creationist would be the heresy, would it not?

Thats my thinking, except the Pope a few years ago accepted the scientific model with the reservation that "gawd did it dat way" if I recall correctly.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"Can you call it heresy? Not being a creationist would be the heresy, would it not?

No. Creationism is mostly a fundie thing. Some sects don't have a problem with the earth's age and evolution.

ApostateLois

I would call it Christian fakery, or outright lies. Because that's what it amounts to: lying about science to impressionable children so that they grow up believing bullshit. Creationism results in kids with little or no understanding of science, and society suffers because of it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Jason Harvestdancer

I'm calling it a heresy based on one key salient point.  There are other points as well.

Christian theology accepts a benevolent God.  Creationist theology has a trickster god who gave the impression of age, what with false dating of fossils and light created in transit.

I'm doing this to provoke Creationists, not then on-Creationist Christians.  I want to annoy the Creationists specifically with my post.  So if you can think of ways to provoke the Creationists with this, I'm looking for suggestions on wording.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

billhilly

Interesting approach.  Concern trolling christians eh?  I like it.  You might point out that the YEC's are damaging the reputation of christianity and are an embarrassment not unlike the suicide bombers of islam or the abortion clinic bombers.

WitchSabrina

My thoughts too.  I think the provocative part is calling it heresy.
that'll make em squeek
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Mathias

"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

Plu

Brian37

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"I have a few friends on FB who are creationists.  One of them recently posted a picture from the Creation Museum and I corrected the science of it.

She said that whenever she posts something Christian she gets attacked.  I replied that it wasn't the Christianity, it was the inaccuracy.

QuoteI am growing increasingly concerned at how widely the Creationist Heresy has spread within mainstream Christianity.  I used to think it harmless, comparable to St. Paul's vegetarians, but it now seems to be the biggest threat to orthodox Christian theology since the Arian heresy of the 4th and 16th centuries.  Given the schismatic nature of Christianity today, with over 10,000 denominations, it seems unlikely that there could be an Ecumenical Council whereby Christians can confront Creationists on their heresy.

Yes, I am being deliberately provocative by saying Creationists are something different from Christians.  Is there any way anyone can see that I can strengthen the language up a bit?

I wouldn't do this at all. This allows other Christians to wallow in their superstitions as well, "I agree those creationists look silly". Allows them to cling to virgin births and zombie gods themselves which is just as silly as creationism.

Instead of that when other Christians go "I agree that is silly", tell them that is like a Star Trek fan looking at a Star Wars fan and saying "Yea the force is silly".

Everyone is the outsider and everyone looks silly to the insider except the insider. The key is to break the entire cycle, not allow it to fester.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "billhilly"Interesting approach.  Concern trolling christians eh?  I like it.  You might point out that the YEC's are damaging the reputation of christianity and are an embarrassment not unlike the suicide bombers of islam or the abortion clinic bombers.

I think of it as concern trolling creationists.  But that's a good idea.

QuoteI am growing increasingly concerned at how widely the Creationist Heresy has spread within mainstream Christianity. I used to think it harmless, comparable to St. Paul's vegetarians, but it now seems to be the biggest threat to orthodox Christian theology since the Arian heresy of the 4th and 16th centuries, and an embarrassment to mainstream Christianity. Given the schismatic nature of Christianity today, with over 10,000 denominations, it seems unlikely that there could be an Ecumenical Council whereby Christians can confront Creationists on their heresy.

Thanks for the input.

caseagainstfaith

Honestly, YEC's are so delusional that saying anything to them, 99.99% of the time is a complete waste of time.  I confess, on occassion, I will try, but, invariably disappointed.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Agramon

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"I have a few friends on FB who are creationists.  One of them recently posted a picture from the Creation Museum and I corrected the science of it.

That is a very interesting argument. If you wanted to, you could even trace it back to the belief in absolute biblical inerrancy, which I've been told by others wasn't a widely held belief until the bible hit the printing press.

I'll have to think about this for a while, but so far I think that argument has some serious potential.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy