News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rutgers bus driver gets fired

Started by PickelledEggs, November 12, 2013, 12:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

A classmate from when I was in highschool posted this n his facebook.

"Rutgers bus driver gets fired for religion"
//http://www.ru-screwd.com/can-rutgers-fire-bus-driver-for-religion/

I think it's kind of humorous that they gave it optimistic music, it's sort of cliche...

The original article that ^that^ was the follow up to is here.//http://www.dailytargum.com/news/lx-bus-driver-stan-mcneil-resigns/article_c94f9530-47ea-11e3-95c0-001a4bcf6878.html

PickelledEggs

I probably should have put this in news even though this is about religion......

Poison Tree

An employee at a public university was using his job as a platform to proselytize and was "allowed" to resign? He can be religious all he wants, but he doesn't have the right to expect his employer (especially one that is part of the government) to pay him to preach while driving a [s:1vuugey5]church[/s:1vuugey5] bus they pay for.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Atheon

He was repeatedly warned, and continued preaching to a captive audience of kids. He deserved his cannage.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Poison Tree"An employee at a public university was using his job as a platform to proselytize and was "allowed" to resign? He can be religious all he wants, but he doesn't have the right to expect his employer (especially one that is part of the government) to pay him to preach while driving a [s:3gg7egx2]church[/s:3gg7egx2] bus they pay for.
Quote from: "Atheon"He was repeatedly warned, and continued preaching to a captive audience of kids. He deserved his cannage.

That is what I was thinking. I mean, this is america he has the right to expect whatever he wants. And his employer has the right to disapoint his expectations with reality.

But seriously, they let him resign instead of getting fired? I would say that is a little more than fair, and in his favor.

I don't know why he went out and made himself look like the bad guy though in all honesty, the original article just says he resigned. He could have easily just went and applied to be a church bus driver.

SGOS

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"But seriously, they let him resign instead of getting fired? I would say that is a little more than fair, and in his favor.

I don't know why he went out and made himself look like the bad guy...
In his mind, of course, he thinks he's the good guy.  But good guy/bad guy, that's irrelevant to his predicament.  He lost his job for breaking the rules, rules he believes he needed to break.  He admits he doesn't care if he lost his job, because praying for people on the job is more important to him.

But by going public with this, he might be making it a little bid harder to get another bus driving job, especially if it's for a public institution.  His university employer made an effort to not ruin his chances of employment somewhere else, but he couldn't leave it alone.  The loss of his job created an even more public platform from which he could demonstrate his religious faith.  If that guy wants to take the situation and use it that way, even if he shoots himself in the foot, that's up to him.

Personally, I think he spent too much time talking about how much he loved the students and wanted to help them.  Fine, but it comes off as trying to smear your previous employer while trying too hard to paint a good a picture of yourself, especially over something that's irrelevant to the job.

If I were hiring him to drive a bus, my first thought would be, "Can you drive a bus?  We want your full attention on driving the bus.  We don't expect or want you to pray for students while your working.  We are paying you to drive the bus.  Are you OK with that?"  And most people would understand all that without needing to be told.