News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A better way to view atheists.

Started by Brian37, November 11, 2013, 11:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Quote from: "Plu"They're only "unfortunately" a part of the group if you are intent on either changing the meaning of the word or trying to build atheists into an exclusive group of your own design.

Which are basically both bad things.

"Atheist" is as exclusive to evolution our species as farting is. We can promote thinking and questioning which is good, but there would be no magic bullet for an ever lasting life in any case.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Plu

That doesn't mean that redefining the word is a good idea. The word already means something. Changing it like you seem to want to basically just means that the number of atheists will go down by a lot, because it suddenly doesn't apply to people anymore.

Changing the word doesn't change the people that previously held the label. It just makes life more difficult for no reason. We'd need a new word for the meaning of the current word 'atheist' and we'd probably be scrapping a perfectly valid word for whatever it is you're trying to change it to.

Sulaco

Quote from: "Eugeny Anatolievich"Some people don't believe in gods, but they believe in astrology, chiromancy or any similar things. Are they atheists?
Yes.

Astrology, chiromancy, etc aren't affiliated with deities.

As for the religious response, atheism is something they simply cannot comprehend. When I was a christian, I certainly couldn't.

St Giordano Bruno

Just back from see the movie Thor, kind of entertaining, very much enjoyed all those CGI special effects and it kind of drives home what category I would put the Bible in, it is in much the same genre as Marvel comics. Yahweh is no more plausible than Loki, Thor of Superman and Batman for that matter. Everyone likes a superhero in their imagination, even those goat herders in the early iron and bronze age Middle East.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"