10 Things Traditional Christians Got Wrong

Started by stromboli, November 10, 2013, 06:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

Quote from: "Eve"
Quote from: "stromboli"1) Slavery... The  Bible clearly has a positive view of slavery, something pro-slavery Christians routinely pointed out. Abolitionists took a broader, less literal view of the Bible. Unsurprising that this divide led to the South being, to this day, home of the most people who take a literalist, fundamentalist view of Christianity.
Bible has a positive view of slavery?!  Where exactly in the Bible does it say?
Quote from: "stromboli"3) Evolution. From the second it became evident that the Biblical story of creation was wrong
What is wrong more particularly, please?
Quote from: "stromboli"4) Pain relief for childbirth. The Bible explicitly lays out pain in childbirth as Eve's punishment for sin, so unsurprisingly, that's  what many Christians in the 19th century believed had to be so. Once reliable pain relief in childbirth began to be developed, therefore,  there was a lot of resistance to it from Christians who feared it defied God to let women have some relief. The truth is that pain in childbirth is not a punishment from God,  but the product of evolution, which is a far from perfect process.
Amen. God didn't say that pain in childbirth is a punishment. God said through His Prophets that death is punishment for sin. Death, not pain in childbirth
Quote from: "stromboli"10) Marriage equality... The  majority of Americans now support same-sex marriage. Illinois is  becoming the 15th state to authorize it. The momentum is in the direction of justice, and as gay rights proponents said from the beginning, Christian conservatives are, as with most things, on the wrong side of history.
Gay marriage is sin in eyes of God of Israel or Jehovah. I am on God's side.
 :-D
Ah now here is what we can expect from a christian, the beliefe of what someone told them.
The fact is that there is no record of jesus other than the bible, and the bible was written exclussively for and by those people that wanted to escape judeo law. As far as the bible denouncing homosexuality, I actually can't remember anything specific in the bible about that. You would have thought it would have been included in the socalled ten commandments but is curiously absent.
As far as in "god's eyes" who are you to speak for your god. How can anyone be sure that you aren't just making up what he/she wants and just saying it's god's will?
Nope we can't rely on that kind of information as truthful or accurate.
If there is a god (and there isn't) how can you, we, or anyone be sure that you are on their side. Just because you say you are doesn't mean a thing. Many murderers claim that they are innocent and yet they are guilty.
The bible approves of slavery:
 However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
 If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years.  Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.  If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year.  But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him.  If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children.  I would rather not go free.'  If he does this, his master must present him before God.  Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl.  After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.  (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.  If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.  But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.  And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.  If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.  If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.  (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

Evolution is a proven fact the creationist story in the bible is neither fact nor is any part of it proven.
So Eve you have your work cut out for you. You can either PROVE the creationist story or you can relent and accept the truth.

Eve

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Eve"God will not contradict Himself.
Other then that I don't see anything wrong. :-D

of course not.....I bet you go out in public when you are in your "way", hypocrite. Cherry picker.
no, I don't

AllPurposeAtheist

Little riddle most here will probably catch:
How many of each animal did god tell Moses to take on his ark? :-D
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: "Eve"
Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Eve"God will not contradict Himself.
Other then that I don't see anything wrong. :-D

Either God does contradict Himself or the Bible is wrong or not His word.  

Genesis 1:25-27 (Humans were created after the other animals.)
And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in our image.... So God created man in his own image.

Genesis 1:27 (The first man and woman were created simultaneously.)

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 2:18-19 (Humans were created before the other animals.)

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Genesis 2:18-22 (The man was created first, then the animals, then the woman from the man's rib.)

And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them.... And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

Solitary :popcorn:

AllPurposeAtheist

So nobody wants to play along with Moses's ark, eh? Fine! :evil:
Fuck Noah's ark..let's talk about Moses's ark.. :lol:

Eve

Quote from: "Solitary"Ah now here is what we can expect from a christian, the beliefe of what someone told them.
true, true. And this, too. :-D
Quote from: "Solitary"The fact is that there is no record of jesus other than the bible,
Not true. Bible is not the only Scripture that testifies of Jesus.
Quote from: "Solitary"and the bible was written exclussively for and by those people that wanted to escape judeo law.
In which book is written that they wanted to escape judeo law? And what law is judeo law?
Quote from: "Solitary"As far as the bible denouncing homosexuality, I actually can't remember anything specific in the bible about that. You would have thought it would have been included in the socalled ten commandments but is curiously absent.
Homosexuality contradicts one of the important laws of God of our world and law of the Universe/Nature: multiply and replenish.
Quote from: "Solitary"As far as in "god's eyes" who are you to speak for your god.
I don't speak for God of Israel. He didn't give me this authority. I only share with You what He reveled by His prophets.
Quote from: "Solitary"How can anyone be sure that you aren't just making up what he/she wants and just saying it's god's will?
How? Anyone can receive a revelation from Him and this is how he or she may know for him/herself.
Quote from: "Solitary"If there is a god (and there isn't) how can you, we, or anyone be sure that you are on their side. Just because you say you are doesn't mean a thing. Many murderers claim that they are innocent and yet they are guilty.
I agree with You. Just because I say You don't have to believe me. God of Israel didn't tell You to do this. But He can tell You what is true and right.
Quote from: "Solitary"The bible approves of slavery:
 However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you.  You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land.  You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance.  You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.  (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)
 If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years.  Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom.  If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year.  But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him.  If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master.  But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children.  I would rather not go free.'  If he does this, his master must present him before God.  Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl.  After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.  (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are.  If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again.  But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her.  And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter.  If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife.  If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.  (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
God of Israel didn't say that slavery is a positive/good thing. God only permitted slavery. Slavery is curse/bad thing. And God gave instruction what in His eyes is fair treatment of slaves. God wants all His children eventually to be free. Slavery is evil. But don't we come to this Earth to learn  good and evil which are parts of the truth?
"unfair" - "slavery" is evil and we learning what is evil/ unfair. Adam and Eve could become like Gods only if they could learn about good and evil from their own experience. The same with us/their children.
Quote from: "Solitary"Evolution is a proven fact the creationist story in the bible is neither fact nor is any part of it proven.
I don't argue with facts. I accept what is fact as truth. Moses's story doesn't contradict evolution that we observe.

Quote from: "Solitary"So Eve you have your work cut out for you. You can either PROVE the creationist story or you can relent and accept the truth.
What is the truth? That our world appeared by itself? That physical matter created intelligence? Is it a Fact? IS IT proven by someone? Why does physical matter NEED an intelligent beings? Why does it need organized systems? Why does chaos need to be organized? Does Chaos have desires or purposes? if not, then why does it need to create/ORGANIZE something?
Does desert(physical matter) need flowers or fruits? No. But an intelligent being needs them.
Only intelligent beings need organize something for some kind of purpose. Physical matter doesn't. Physical matter/chaos is dead. Dead doesn't have purpose/goals/desires/wants.
Question: what is physical matter and what are its purposes/goals? :-D

Solitary

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"So nobody wants to play along with Moses's ark, eh? Fine! :evil:
Fuck Noah's ark..let's talk about Moses's ark.. :lol:

Just when I find one you want another one.  #-o  

mykcob4

Eve provide one document that can be verified other than the bible that jesus existed. You can't because there isn't one. The Romans kept very good records and they have no record of jesus.
Mose's story? Are you for real. You want to argue the facts of evolution that IS proven AND verifiable with a bible story? That is just dumb. We don't even know if moses actually existed. The Egyptians don't mention him at all and he would have lived far before the Romans started keeping records. The jews used word of mouth at the time so it's like playing the game of "whispers" when using early judeo histrionics. DNA proves evolution to be a fact. There isn't a damn thing to prove creation stories from the bible are fact.
There you go again speaking for your god like you actually have the ability and the authority to do so. You can't explain away the bible so you justify the contradictions in the bible with "god's will" or "God says..." nonsense. I put it to you that god didn't say anything to anyone because there is no god. You must prove a god, THEN prove that said god actually said something. You can't just force us to assume that there is a god and that god said something and that YOU know what he/she said.
God wanted fair treatment for slaves?!!!!! Slavery in itself is unfair treatment. What a dumbfuck thing to use as an argument. I mean you're talking to full grown educated people here, not some sunday school class full of ignorant children that have been brainwashed by their brainwashed parents!
God of Israel? So you're god is just god of Israel. I guess the other gods have dominion over their particular geographic location.
Oh and you can keep your intelligent design crap. It's not valid.
Science doesn't answer the question of where everything came from except to the point that science knows. It doesn't make assumptions. The intelligent design makes a huge assumption and idiots like you accept that assumption as fact. It isn't a fact. "Does a desert need fruit....?" Come on. Does it not need fruit?
I know this game that you are playing. It's been trolled out on this forum so many times it isn't even funny. It's the assumption game. We are suppose to accept your assumptions as facts since you don't actually have any facts.
Here is a little note of interest for you.
Did the big bang happen?
Answer yes it did. Why do we know, because we can even hear the blast. It is in recorded history. We can scientifically know a range of time that it happened given the size of the blast the speed of the debrie and the distance of the debrie. We can carbon date things and tell how old they are, and don't give me this bull that carbon dating isn't reliable. Without knowing it you rely on the accuracy of carbon dating every day.
So we know that the big bang happened. Does that prove where we came from? Well not actually only partcially, but science doesn't make any assumption it only accepts that facts that can and have been proved. Our world came from that blast, beyond that they are still researching.
Now you assume that something intelligent must created that blast but that is just an assumption and it isn't based on any facts whatsoever.
And yes random algarythmns prove that patterns can occur from complete accident and randomness.
Physical matter doesn't need intelligent beings. Intelliugent beings NEED physical matter!

AllPurposeAtheist

LOL..God of Israel.. How about god of Cambodia? God of Antarctica? God of the bottom of a swimming pool? It's either the god of EVERYTHING or the god of nothing and the rest of all other religions can't ALL be wrong and if they are so is the god of Israel.. :roll:

Plu

Eve

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"LOL..God of Israel.. How about god of Cambodia? God of Antarctica? God of the bottom of a swimming pool? It's either the god of EVERYTHING or the god of nothing and the rest of all other religions can't ALL be wrong and if they are so is the god of Israel.. :roll:
"God of Israel" doesn't mean belonging to any country or nationality on Earth. God of Israel means that He made a covenant with Israel(Jacob). He is also God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Belong to house of Israel means belong to his(Jacobs/Israel) FAMILY/HIS SEED.

Eve

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Let's try something less confusing for her.  
You sound like holding the belief that Scripture has never changed but it is an all divine, cannot be changed pile of text, am I right?
Wrong. I never sounded like that.
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Could you please tell us Eve that what was the justification of slavery in the whole Christian World, if you claim that the scripture never supported it in the first place?
There is no justification. Church of Jesus Christ didn't exist on Earth by the end of the 1st century. All those Christians never belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ. Their justifications were not from God of Israel.
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Majority of the first Christians in the heretic pagan world were slaves themselves.
Christianity has managed to spread world wide and be the official religion of Roman empire JUST because it spread among slaves, soldiers, starving plebs ( also every kind of criminals); every oppressed, exploited, over worked groups of people who practically had no right, practically nothing to live for but their very life in that system have become Christians; to be free of any kind of slavery. So Christianity was supposed to be against slavery, class oppression by foundation. What happened to this god who never contradicts himself and his absolute truth on earth?
Nothing happen to God of Israel. But something happened to Christians already in the 1st century. They broke the covenants.

Jason78

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Little riddle most here will probably catch:
How many of each animal did god tell Moses to take on his ark? :-D

7 of every clean animal and 2 of every unclean one wasn't it?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

FrogMan

So gay marriage is wrong because god said "be fruitful and multiply"?  Have you seen how overpopulated this planet is?  How countries like China need a friggin' birth restriction because there's no room?  

This is why religion annoys me more than anything.  It takes something that was maybe a good idea 2000 years ago....ya know, when there were 8 people on earth.....and spouts it off in 2013 like it makes any kind of sense now.

Yea, keep multiplying, humans.  Keep chopping down those forests and killing that ozone.  We need that new Walmart soooo bad.  And we're doing a hell of a job feeding all those poor people.  We definitely have this "multiply" concept down pat.

Just don't let those queers live together with equal rights.

Fucking stupid.  Can't stand a group who won't update their goddamn policies in a changing world.
Quote from: \"Smartmarzipan\"Hey look, more people I want to stab in the throat.

Quote from: \"Damarcus\"Clearly, wicca is the ultimate belief system, I never heard of jesus making someone\'s xbox get fixed slightly faster.

"Why we still got monkeys?" - Steve Harvey