News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Does Face Shape Reveal Homosexuality?

Started by stromboli, November 08, 2013, 02:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/0 ... 32987.html

QuoteA new study suggests there are distinguishable differences in the facial shape of gay and straight men, and the results indicate the faces of gay men may be deemed more masculine. The findings stand in stark contrast to some stereotypical notions about the gay male community.

Researchers from the Center for Theoretical Study at Charles University in Prague and The Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic decided to study the facial characteristics of gay and straight men and determine if morphological differences can cue sexual orientation. Two studies were conducted: One analyzed whether gay men have noticeably different facial features than straight men; the other examined whether sexual orientation could be determined based solely on these features.

In the first study, researchers gathered 40 gay and 40 straight white, Czech men. After taking 80 portraits with a Canon camera, more than 11,000 coordinates were set to establish a comparison.

"Gay men showed relatively wider and shorter faces, smaller and shorter noses, and rather massive and more rounded jaws, resulting in a mosaic of both feminine and masculine features," according to the study.
Jarka Valentova, a researcher on the Czech study, elaborated on the results in an email to The Huffington Post Thursday.

"It's necessary to point out to possible misunderstandings of our results," she said. "The fact that we have found some significant morphological differences between homosexual and heterosexual men does not mean that any of the groups is easily recognizable on the street (and our Study 2 actually shows that it's not that easy to guess anyone's sexual orientation without knowing it), or that anything like that should be done (like pointing on people with our illustrations and guessing who is who)."

She also added that the sample size used was small and, in order for this study to ascertain more validity, it would need to be replicated within different populations.

Still, researchers suggest the differences in facial shapes may indicate certain prenatal environmental factors, which is a topic sexologist Anthony Bogaert began delving into in September.

One of his previous studies dealt with the increased likelihood of being gay if one has multiple older brothers, and a portion of his research highlighted the possibility of a biological mechanism influencing sexual orientation -- something nature and nurture proponents have been debating for decades.

"I think there's strong evidence that people who believe that there's a biological basis to sexual orientation tend to be more tolerant to sexual minorities, and that's one of the more positive [possible] social outcomes," he previously told HuffPost about his new research.

Totally neutral on this.

AllPurposeAtheist

Hmm..Raymond Burr and Rock Hudson.. You know the christers are gonna draw their own silly ass conclusions.. :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Yeah. My first thought. Ellen DeGeneres certainly doesn't look "lezzie", nor her wife. I'm acquainted with a few transgender people because the fellow that runs the 7-11 nearby has a transgender daughter, and he has hired his daughter's friends. Some are fairly obvious because of their dress or personal style, but others you really can't tell.

AllPurposeAtheist

Christers have their own patented gay detectors.. It's kept secret because god wants it that way. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

The Skeletal Atheist

Best way to tell if a guy is gay: is he currently sucking your cock or taking it in the ass from you? If so he MIGHT be gay.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Yeah, that would be the "first person singular" method.  :-D

Solitary

Who thinks up these stupid studies? Isn't it obvious?

:roll:   Only the first two are gay. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/gay-straight-face-shape_n_4232987.html

QuoteA new study suggests there are distinguishable differences in the facial shape of gay and straight men, and the results indicate the faces of gay men may be deemed more masculine. The findings stand in stark contrast to some stereotypical notions about the gay male community.

Researchers from the Center for Theoretical Study at Charles University in Prague and The Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic decided to study the facial characteristics of gay and straight men and determine if morphological differences can cue sexual orientation. Two studies were conducted: One analyzed whether gay men have noticeably different facial features than straight men; the other examined whether sexual orientation could be determined based solely on these features.

In the first study, researchers gathered 40 gay and 40 straight white, Czech men. After taking 80 portraits with a Canon camera, more than 11,000 coordinates were set to establish a comparison.

"Gay men showed relatively wider and shorter faces, smaller and shorter noses, and rather massive and more rounded jaws, resulting in a mosaic of both feminine and masculine features," according to the study.
Jarka Valentova, a researcher on the Czech study, elaborated on the results in an email to The Huffington Post Thursday.

"It's necessary to point out to possible misunderstandings of our results," she said. "The fact that we have found some significant morphological differences between homosexual and heterosexual men does not mean that any of the groups is easily recognizable on the street (and our Study 2 actually shows that it's not that easy to guess anyone's sexual orientation without knowing it), or that anything like that should be done (like pointing on people with our illustrations and guessing who is who)."

She also added that the sample size used was small and, in order for this study to ascertain more validity, it would need to be replicated within different populations.

Still, researchers suggest the differences in facial shapes may indicate certain prenatal environmental factors, which is a topic sexologist Anthony Bogaert began delving into in September.

One of his previous studies dealt with the increased likelihood of being gay if one has multiple older brothers, and a portion of his research highlighted the possibility of a biological mechanism influencing sexual orientation -- something nature and nurture proponents have been debating for decades.

"I think there's strong evidence that people who believe that there's a biological basis to sexual orientation tend to be more tolerant to sexual minorities, and that's one of the more positive [possible] social outcomes," he previously told HuffPost about his new research.

Totally neutral on this.
Didn't read the study. Haven't a clue why anyone would waste time on a study like that. Certainly there are more important things for sociologist to study.
Doubt that there is any validity in such a study but as I said, didn't bother to read the study!

Sulaco

What a load of crap.

I had a good laugh though.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

_Xenu_

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"Best way to tell if a guy is gay: is he currently sucking your cock or taking it in the ass from you? If so he MIGHT be gay.
Unless you're some sort of rapist or child molester, I would consider that pretty definite evidence that he's at least bi unless he was molested or something.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Sulaco

Quote from: "_Xenu_"I would consider that pretty definite evidence that he's at least bi unless he was molested or something.
There is absolutely no evidence of psychological trauma or mental illness linking to homosexuality.

In fact it's these sorts of claims that religious zealots use to justify their discrimination.

Aside from that, orientation is based on what the individual is sexually attracted to .. and not based on actions he/she might perform.

Jason78

QuoteDoes Face Shape Reveal Homosexuality?

No.

You can't tell a wise man from the colour of his skin either.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

The study tried to see if homosexuals had common facial features. (Which apparently they do)

Then they tried to see if people could pick out homosexuals based on their facial features. (Which they could not)

This makes the title stupid, as it falls into the classic 'if the answer to your title can be summed up with "no", you picked a bad title'.

Sal1981

I can't tell the difference, but then again, I'm not a people person.