News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Software and apps you like

Started by Atheon, October 23, 2013, 04:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

What kind of software do you like having on your computer (be it Windows, Mac, Linux, Android; desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone)?

I like Libre Office... it's saved my butt many times when MS Office decides to misbehave. I still depend on MS Office because of all the macros I use in my work.

In Win 7, I love Taskbar Tweaker 7+, which decouples taskbar icons so I can put them in any order I want.

In Win 7, I also use AVG Free antivirus. I find it the least intrusive and most effective.

On Android, I like Lookout, which is a good, solid security program.

What do you like and recommend?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Plu

I have PHPStorm for my work and it's pretty awesome. I also love Lua because it's such an awesome little programming language.
I also love a tool called Balsamiq, which is great for quickly making mockups of what programs should look like.

Then I also love notepad++ which is an amazing text editor.

But all of those are kinda specific to programmers, I think.

Oh, and I love Chrome.

Atheon

Ah yes, Notepad++ is fantastic. I like it for many reasons, not least among them is its ability to handle Chinese characters, which Notepad can't.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

Notepad++
ArcGIS ArcMap, ArcGIS Catalog
Vuze (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*)
Google Chrome
FireFox
Greasemonkey
OpenOffice
VideoLAN
Ghostscript
WampServer

probably more, but all I can think of.

Jason78

What are you using Greasemonkey for?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Atheon"Ah yes, Notepad++ is fantastic. I like it for many reasons, not least among them is its ability to handle Chinese characters, which Notepad can't.
I've used Notepad++ too. Ironically, it uses the Windows API so I have to run it under wine in Linux. Transmission is also a nice, lightweight torrent client thats not available for Windows. Abiword is a good quick and dirty word processor. Ffmpeg is useful whenever I have an video file without any volume.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Sal1981

Quote from: "Jason78"What are you using Greasemonkey for?
Another forum that has limited capability - it doesn't even have BBcode, I use certain scripts to embed YT links, iframe pics, that sort of thing.

Atheon

Timely, an alarm clock for Android. It's absolutely wonderful.

Beats the hell out of the piece of crap alarm clock that comes with Samsung Galaxy (which, when the alarm goes off, displays a snooze/off button, but when you tap it, nothing happens and you have to turn the tablet off to turn the alarm off).